Rights to protest now?

leedswillprevai

Kind of on a similar theme to my posting about in my view the treason of supporting Al Queda, I would like (if possible) clarification on whether I can or cannot use a megaphone in a public place i.e. a town. I have been to protests before, organised ones, but was going to use the opportunity to (in sarcastic tone) point out many things, or get many things off my chest. However it would appear that we do, or we don't have freedom of speech? I am posing the question because it appears that if a member of the public complains the cops can then demand I stop? and if I don't, then I can be arrested?

i don't pretend to know the law, so perhaps someone can help me out here? Or is it only permissible if I wax lyrical all day about great Manchester United are? Or do I have to be in a free speech zone? and if I do, then how can I find out where these are?

overkill

Distinguished Member
If you go to certain designated areas in any City, there you can, as long as you aren't inciting hatred, speak your mind. Speakers Corner is the most famous one, but there are others. Your local authority or organisations that support Freedom of Speech can tell you where they are. Organised protests have to be approved by an LA, or, ultimately the govt and High court.

leedswillprevai

Under section 14 of the public order act, if the officer believes you are insulting someone or could be seen as insulting that is enough to be shut down no?

sidicks

Banned
What are you going to protest about?!

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Kind of on a similar theme to my posting about in my view the treason of supporting Al Queda, I would like (if possible) clarification on whether I can or cannot use a megaphone in a public place i.e. a town. I have been to protests before, organised ones, but was going to use the opportunity to (in sarcastic tone) point out many things, or get many things off my chest. However it would appear that we do, or we don't have freedom of speech? I am posing the question because it appears that if a member of the public complains the cops can then demand I stop? and if I don't, then I can be arrested?

i don't pretend to know the law, so perhaps someone can help me out here? Or is it only permissible if I wax lyrical all day about great Manchester United are? Or do I have to be in a free speech zone? and if I do, then how can I find out where these are?

you could always start protesting at what the pigging bankers have done to our country, the lowest form of human existence

sidicks

Banned
you could always start protesting at what the pigging bankers have done to our country, the lowest form of human existence

:boring:

Maybe you should investigate how much was spent by the Labour government and how much is currently owed by banks....
:hiya:

leedswillprevai

it was going to be about many things but yes, the terrible austerity which bankers have had to suffer is going to be featured. i will perhaps suggest that we organise a public fund to donate to these poor bankers, a show of solidarity if you like, after all, we are all in this together.

sidicks

Banned
it was going to be about many things but yes, the terrible austerity which bankers have had to suffer is going to be featured. i will perhaps suggest that we organise a public fund to donate to these poor bankers, a show of solidarity if you like, after all, we are all in this together.

Oh I see, you're keen to make a fool of yourself?
:confused:

overkill

Distinguished Member
:D Some people actually believe that the bankers are not to blame for both our recent and past misfortunes.

But then some people still believe the Earth is flat, English beer is always served warm, and that you can catch VD off toilet seats. ;)

kopchoir

Banned

gibbsy

Christ! I've just agreed with Sidicks for the second time this year. Must be this afternoon's cider.:smashin:

I believe the right to peaceful protest is one of the greatest privaleges that the British have. Although I am an atheist I would not protest against religion, as stupid as it is. Neither would I protest against different races of people, I would not demean myself, we are all human being. Now, the Tory, sorry coalition, government, that's fair game.

leedswillprevai

So in conclusion I have the right to protest but only in a designated spot?
You call that a right? sounds like they have afforded me a "privilege", or more to the point it sounds like they are making a mockery out of rights and if I disobey I get arrested for having the temerity to exercise my voice outside of their permitted spots right?

I love this freedom being afforded to me. I think I should campaign for more banker rights and a special thank you to the bipartisanship which affords me the luxury of a speakers corner.

sidicks

Banned
So in conclusion I have the right to protest but only in a designated spot?
You call that a right? sounds like they have afforded me a "privilege", or more to the point it sounds like they are making a mockery out of rights and if I disobey I get arrested for having the temerity to exercise my voice outside of their permitted spots right?

I love this freedom being afforded to me. I think I should campaign for more banker rights and a special thank you to the bipartisanship which affords me the luxury of a speakers corner.

:boring:

leedswillprevai

I have already responded to this question in saying a number of things but why do you feel the need to quantify what I seek? It will be a peaceful demonstration, no advocating or inciting of any violence.

kav

Distinguished Member
Just making conversation. You know, what with it being an internet forum and all that. I thought you were being sarcastic above so was hoping for an honest answer.

leedswillprevai

You sleep soundly Sidicks, don't worry, I will campaign on your behalf to leave the bankers alone. I don't want to hear stories about HSBC laundering billions in drug money, stories about JPM wash trades, Wells Fargoe laundering money, fraud left right and centre, hell no, stop harassing these poor people, they didn't make their money off the tax payer to then be questioned and damned, they are human beings.

sidicks

Banned
You sleep soundly Sidicks, don't worry, I will campaign on your behalf to leave the bankers alone. I don't want to hear stories about HSBC laundering billions in drug money, stories about JPM wash trades, Wells Fargoe laundering money, fraud left right and centre, hell no, stop harassing these poor people, they didn't make their money off the tax payer to then be questioned and damned, they are human beings.

I suggest you protest about stuff you understand not about headlines you read in the Lefty media!

overkill

Distinguished Member
Glad to see Siddicks is a predictable as ever... :boring: Criticise the precious banks and he pops up with sarccy comments and attempts to deflect the reality of the situation. Now that's boring...

The banks gave out bad credit, they have since the 80's demanded companies, in particular new starts to show ludicrous profit margins or they call time, they took risk on investments that were never going to bear the fruit they claimed, and then, when the 'leaders of new capitalism' had failed, went cap in hand to the govt to bail them out.

They've done this before, and they'll do it again. Each time they do it brings the economy to it's knees. When they did it in the 20's they could hardly blame the govts as they were wedded to non intervention and allowing the free market to 'right' the Worlds economies. It didn't.

I know the last govt racked up debt, but so what? Debt we can live with, and have done throughout history, what we can't live with is banks crashing economies - as they've done now three times since the dawn of the modern economy.

Is that simple enough even for you? :cool:

leedswillprevai

Just making conversation. You know, what with it being an internet forum and all that.

Sorry, I thought the tone of it was you questioning why would I want to protest? what was going to be the tone of my protest so that you could decide whether I had a point in being thrilled about the rights afforded to me to protest. It was going to be about lots of things, the behaviour of people, the economy, these wars, many many things.

overkill

Distinguished Member
What is it you want to protest?
The UK supporting, indirectly, fundamentalist terrorism.

At least that's what I got from the OP's previous post that he referred to.

leedswillprevai

lefty...ignores the crimes of anyone on the left
Righty....ignores the crimes of anyone on the right

Sorry....Sidicks, the facts are the facts, and I don't paint myself as either, nor a centrist either.

sidicks

Banned
Glad to see Siddicks is a predictable as ever... :boring: Criticise the precious banks and he pops up with sarccy comments and attempts to deflect the reality of the situation. Now that's boring...

The banks gave out bad credit, they have since the 80's demanded companies, in particular new starts to show ludicrous profit margins or they call time, they took risk on investments that were never going to bear the fruit they claimed, and then, when the 'leaders of new capitalism' had failed, went cap in hand to the govt to bail them out.

They've done this before, and they'll do it again. Each time they do it brings the economy to it's knees. When they did it in the 20's they could hardly blame the govts as they were wedded to non intervention and allowing the free market to 'right' the Worlds economies. It didn't.

I know the last govt racked up debt, but so what? Debt we can live with, and have done throughout history, what we can't live with is banks crashing economies - as they've done now three times since the dawn of the modern economy.

Is that simple enough even for you? :cool:

Ah I see, the there is something special about the money owed by banks that despite it being a fraction of the total borrowing it is somehow much more important than the hundreds of billions of debt incurred by the government on and off balance sheet.

Interesting - perhaps you can explain how this special debt works.

I assume you'll also be explaining how the booming economy, driven by cheap credit was nothing to do with the nasty banks and everything to do with wonderful government policy and that running a deficit during a boom is a totally rational and sustainable policy?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone