Right Wing News Channels

Colin London

Placeholders for the new Andrew Neil led GB News Channel have now appeared on digital TV platforms. The channel may be Free to View but it seems that they are already working out ways to extract money from their supporters to prop them up. All very Trumpian / Fox News: GB News plan to turn 'superfan' viewers into monthly paid subscribers

In related news Murdoch has ditched his plans to launch a competing 24-hour News Channels, restricting News UK TV to online content linked to its newspapers: Rupert Murdoch ditches plans for News UK rolling news TV station

So despite the trumpeting of these projects it seems their backers are actually somewhat concerned about how much of their investment they could land up losing. The UK market is pretty saturated already for news sources and maybe the backers of these channels are beginning to realise that their target audience aren't exactly the favourite market for advertisers?

spacelab

Snapshot_21-05-03_08-14-30.png

richp007

Distinguished Member
Wiki Tom saying, "Presenters are for hard news, interviews and facilitation of debate."

There's that looking glass again.

Nick74

Distinguished Member
It's going to be so funny when they crash and burn
- forget the status quo's view, self-promotion boy Tommy, you'll be in dire straits.

That would be nice. I'd imagine GB News will be propped up, because it'll serve a narrative that heavily vested interests wish to propagate.

The right seek an absolute monopoly on the message and will pursue this agenda through fair means or foul.

krish

Distinguished Member
That would be nice. I'd imagine GB News will be propped up, because it'll serve a narrative that heavily vested interests wish to propagate.

I expect it'll have initially relatively good ratings as the curious (such as me) will tune in. Then a massive drop in days. It can't be as right wing as they hope some are imagining, otherwise Ofcom won't be happy. So with hardly any viewers, hardly any paying "superfan" subscribers, just a few like @richp007 wanting more Harwood, it'll relaunch as something quite different.

Reminds me of how the original Good Morning Britain (TVam) launched with "the Famous Five", and Daybreak with Chiles and Bleakley - a blaze of publicity, both disasters.

They might do okay with YouTube clickbait, as GMB with Piers Moron did.

Nick74

Distinguished Member
It can't be as right wing as they hope some are imagining, otherwise Ofcom won't be happy.

An Ofcom run by Paul Dacre will regard GB News as communist propaganda.

Increasingly hard right forces and parties (and worse) are in the ascendancy almost everywhere. Only the US seems to have bucked this trend, at least for now, but it faces the very real threat of domestic far right terrorism. In France Le Pen is polling just one point behind Macron, with a general election next year. It wasn't exactly comfortable last time around. There are genuine fears a Le Pen presidency is more than possible, which would enable the FN to stymie the European project, sending shock-waves through the continent.

Last edited:

springtide

Distinguished Member
From the Telegraph article…
Secondly, we are independent from Government, free from political or corporate influence

Boris Johnson is poised to appoint Paul Dacre as Ofcom chair, and offer him a peerage, it has been revealed.

How does that work?

HearMeRaw

Banned
The line up for GBN seems quite mixed to me, of course the odd ball hard right ones stand out more but there are left leaning ones in the mix too.

D

Deleted member 897717

I assume Brillo will be doing the Breakfast Show...he's usually tired and emotional by midday...which explains some of his stranger choices from the Dulux Hair Colour Range.

Ed R Marley

I assume Brillo will be doing the Breakfast Show...he's usually tired and emotional by midday...which explains some of his stranger choices from the Dulux Hair Colour Range.
Apparently he is going to do a nightly show where he will be interviewing "top politicians", but in reality I think the best politicians will be the usual dross ones that get wheeled on to Politics Live.

Politicians don't like tough questioning - ask C4 news 😄

Everything Goes

Distinguished Member
Is this going to be Britains equivalent of Fox News and One America News Network?

Comedy gold if you don't take it seriously. Otherwise quite alarming.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Definitely.

If only Labour was a good opposition.

swingaleg

This could go the same way as the short lived 'Lovesport' radio station which was owned and run by Kelvin Mackenzie

It was pretty naked propaganda aimed at working class men ........ lots of football chat with right wing 'opinion' interspersed

All the adverts were for other companies owned by Kelvin or public information ads

It collapsed during the first lockdown ........ Kelvin blamed Covid

It'll be interesting to see if any Government ministers are willing to be grilled by 'Brillo' ........... he does tend to ask difficult questions even of politicians on 'his' side.

jonmorris

GB News is hoping to charge 'superfans' (note, I didn't say Onlyfans; so don't even pause to imagine that scenario) to subscribe to extra content, rather like Farage is now seeking to get people to sign up for a newsletter on financial investment advice (free for the newsletter, but you pay for additional information).

Trump seems to be managing to get plenty of donations in the US for his 2024 campaign, even though he's unlikely to be running, so I guess the right-wing know they can milk their base quite easily.

Paywalls have rarely been successful though, especially for news and opinion, but I guess they need a steady income when it will be quite likely a lot of advertisers won't touch the channel.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Then the owners will have to pump money into it.

jonmorris

Then the owners will have to pump money into it.

They can only do so for a limited time*. Given Rupert Murdoch considered a launch of News UK, or whatever it was going to be called, would struggle to be profitable (and it wasn't a 24/7 news station), I think it's going to be tough going.

Even if by some miracle the channel is completely impartial and fair, it costs a LOT of money to gather news and the BBC has the benefit of a steady revenue stream - not reliant on individual subscribers or advertising revenues. ITV News failed and Sky News is apparently not profitable, but subsidised by the other Sky channels.

* Okay, so some US YouTube channels are apparently funded by lobbyists and corporations that want a particular avenue to promote corporate America, but I doubt Ofcom rules would allow GB News to get away with anything like that - at least until Ofcom has all its powers removed under new management...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen