Right Time To Buy?

hamd01

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm having a debate with the Mrs at the moment about whether or not to buy a flat screen for the house.

We designated 10k for our house renovation, and are doing ok budget wise after the bathroom and kitchen are finished :) (have around 7k left).....and a very bad back.

We are debating about buying a flat screen for the lounge, as compared to the Phillips 28" it would look "hell yeah", compared to the 28" which is totally "wheres the TV" in a very big room.

We just spent over 1k on a sofa, so we are down to 6k ish now.

Is there any 32" min, wall mountable, HDTV ready sexy beast that we can stick on the wall for around a £900 spend? I'm fussy about picture quality.... but im not ott fussy.

Saddly the lounge is being done next, so we need to make a decision, so cabling etc can be planned in.

I guess we could always wait a while.....

What do you guys think??

Check out the thread on the Video7 32" £899, that might fit the bill, although it doesnt have HDCP for sky's HDTV.

Sorry, that went over my head (woosh)! I'm not fussed about SKY, but does that mean I wouldnt be able to connect a HDTV DVD player in future, or my pc?

hamd01 said:
Sorry, that went over my head (woosh)! I'm not fussed about SKY, but does that mean I wouldnt be able to connect a HDTV DVD player in future, or my pc?
No problems with connecting a High Def DVD Player or your PC. :smashin:
HDCP stands for High Definition Content Protection and basically is an encoded signal to stop Piracy!!

Hope this helps.

Depends what you mean by a high-def DVD player.

SteveW70 may be talking about current progressive scan DVD players, which give a kind of pseudo HD, but really the term should be reserved for Blueray/HD-DVD players, of which there are none on the market here. When there are they will need a HDCP port to work... just as Sky's HD will (for most things)

Is it a good time? I think not. Prices seem to be dropping month by month. Have a look at http://www.komplett.co.uk and go to TV 30-40". There are now 3 models there for under 1000 pounds... Last month there were none this cheap.

It's hard to day how the price levels will be next year, but I expect that there will be budget 37" LCDs for maybe 1000-1200... Maybe even late this year. Another thread mentioned the 37" version of the Benq being sold in the US now for under $2000...

Ix

Thats great, sounds like a good deal. Did I read somewhere that its 15:9 and not 16:9, and thus has problems when watching widescreen movies...i.e you get text missing from the edges?

OK.... think I can close this topic, Im gonna wait. I want something I can plug a BlueRay box into as soon as they are available. Id be gutted to pay that much cash for a stop gap.

Thanks again guys!

Best idea, there are a whole raft of new screens in the summer that will have HDMI as standard. You need this for HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom