Right time to buy ??

sipian

Standard Member
Reaction score
OK - so after reading all the threads I have to say there is one overriding question. Is it sensible to buy a plasma screen right now ?
With all the questions about compatibility and future proofing, is it not sensible to wait and see. From what I can gather all the big manufacturers are releasing new models in the next 3 months or so that should be high def ready and have a number of inputs. I would take it that they will also feature next generation picture enhancements (whatever form they may take.) Am I insane or is this not the case ? As I've mentioned before on here I was a phone call away from spending £1500 and then read a bit more to discover the news on the new models. There seems to be a lot of people in the same boat on this as well.
Is there really a benefit in buying right at this moment ?
There are an awful lot of you out there (in fact just about everyone) who knows more about this than me - any comments ??

basically, technology never stops moving. It doesn't really matter when you buy your set, something better is always just around the corner mate.
Bottom line is you can spend your whole life waiting or you can get in there and start enjoying! up to you.

Even weeks might make a difference at the moment, though not to panasonic. It depends how important hi def, and particularly sport is to you. frame rate conversion judder is most noticeable on sports, if it's not your bag, go get yourself a Panasonic if you want one, and the addition of a scaler will future proof you, and you might want one anyway for all your SD sources.

hope the frame rate is not too bad on the pwd7!! l like me footy!!

mind you, can't be any worse than me techwood i say it can't be any worse!!

Hi Sipian
I agree with Adymartin.I've spent the best part of two years thinking,viewing,reading,reviewing,re-thinking,re-re-viewing etc etc.I've gone from pioneer to hitachi to panasonic to NEC and round in circles again as new models came out faster than I could get to see them.I came to two conclusions last week,somewhat belatedly I will admit!There is never a right time to buy and life is simply way too short.

Regards Ian

Thanks for the replies guy's. I have to admit I'm torn.
The gadget guy in me wants to buy now and be damned what's round the corner and I have done this many times in the past (£600 DVD player which are now £30 sound familiar ?) and I still have a laserdisc player and about 100 discs !!! (no I haven't been on antiques roadshow with it)
The sports is very important to me as I watch a lot of footy. DVD's would be a weekend thing. I appreciate the comment about the scaler but would this mean I could get a high def signal on a pana PW7 ? Also I believe they are £800 yes ? Any likely hood of price drop (a la DVD players ?)
This seemed a good price for the set - anybody dealt with them ?
http://www.digital-point.co.uk/search.php?OP=VAL&Search=plasma&ScrollAction=Page 4

It's easy to demonstrate FRC conversion, you can check easily how it seems for you. You do need to see it before deciding, and likely see the only totally HD compliant plasma, which has an internal rate of 72 Hz and judders like f..... to my eyes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom