Right PJ for my situation

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NZJames, Aug 20, 2013.

1. NZJames

NZJames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking to get a projector for my basement lounge but having some difficulty finding the best one for my situation and was hoping for some advice.

The light level will be low as it is a basement room with windows but they have shutters that close so it is fairly dark down there. It is not a large room, probably looking at a throw distance of 3m max, the space on the wall around 80-90" for a screen. The main thing I want is good contrast ratio and high quality picture with a cinema-like feel so no washed out pictures. My budget for a second hand is about £500.

I was initially looking at the Optoma600lx but reviews have said it is far too bright for a dark room application at that kind of throw distance, I also looked at the BenQW1060 but I can't seem to find it in the UK and have had mixed reviews anyway.

I'm starting to run out of ideas for what the best solution is to get the best quality cinema-esque picture for my smallish basement room will be. Can anyone suggest a good projector for this that I can go and research a bit?

2. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    You probably wont find a new W1060, you should be looking at a W1070, they are in plenty of supply ( Richer Sounds, Amazon, etc) check the review here:
    BenQ W1070 1080p Full HD 3D DLP Projector Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

you could also check out the W1200 if 3D is not a priority, the optoma HD25 might also be an option, but there seems to be slim pickings form the LCD camp these days (sub £1k) your looking at epsons.

those 3 should gove you 90" from 3m, although thats on the limit of the HD25.
    and the min of the W1070.

all 3 have had good reviews from this forum.

also as they are new ish PJ's. there might not be a healthy second hand market yet. but at only £100/200 above you budget new.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    I recently bought a second hand Epson TW3200 from the classifieds on here for £430 & can honestly say it's a superb picture, we find ourselves viewing films we have seen before several times & seeing a whole new dimension to them. We are projecting from 2880mm lens to screen & it just fills a 92" screen. The overall PQ is excellent, obviously black levels are not as good as our Panasonic plasma as the room has quite a bit of ambient light & light coloured walls and ceiling etc. but the quality of the image & excellent colour make up for it :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013