1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right. How good a Sub do I need?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Matther54, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone wants to point me in the right direction here.
    I want to add a sub to my stereo system at some point in the near future. I've got a pair of MA Silver S6s powered by and Arcam A80. Its really great and I love it, but I want to improve the frequency response and depth.

Would something along the lines of the BK XLS200 sort me out? Quite a lot of people are raving about this beauty. Or do you think I need to be in the next league up going for something like REL strata / B&W 675 etc or would they just be too much? I just have no experience with subs and I don't really know what I should be looking at.

Cheers.

2. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It really depends what you listen to, how big your room is, how loud you want it to be and how much you can afford to spend. As far as budget subs go, the BK has a great reputation but I've not heard one myself. Im sure others will be along soon to extoll its virtues. The B+W is my current sub and is sound buy, delivering superb performance for a compact sub.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Our friend mentions he has a stereo system. :smashin:

Most B&Ws don't have high level connections. :thumbsdow

Which is why I didn't buy a 675 and was dragged down the path to SVS bass depravity by this lot. :cool:

But perhaps the Arcam A80 has a "sub-out" socket? :)

Nimby

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Iust checked the Arcam site and the A80 has standard left and right preouts. As long as the B&W has the standard gain and crossover controls you should be able to integrate it without too much trouble.

At the price range you're considering you really need to go and listen to a few to decide what's important to you and if it's worth paying for as there's quite a range available. The subs you mention are both quite compact so perhaps you should compare a smaller model to a larger one if you can accomodate the difference. :)

5. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.
    Is there any merit about using high level speaker connections over low level phono connections to a sub. As you have pointed out, my amp has pre outs so both options are open to me (presuming the sub has both too).
    Regarding space, compact would obviously better which is why I was drawn to the BK in the first place. Is it alot better than the REL quake? (only I probably have the option of auditioning that since they sell it at seven oaks).

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I'd say look at the MJ Ref200 and Quad L Subwoofer too, both cracking subs for the money, not in SVS cylinder league, but superb all the same.

The Quad L Sub in particular looks lovely too :).

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    My apologies. I scanned a couple of A80 sales websites but couldn't find any mention of pre-outs. :blush:

Don't try and use the PB10-ISD though. It doesn't have a built-in, roll-off filter or high level connections. One or the other are essential if you feed such a sub with a full range signal from a pre-out.

(Unless you use an add-on, low-pass filter on the pre-out connection)

Nimby