1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right good gunfight

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by 1dazgwinn, Sep 19, 2000.

1. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was chilling out the other day when the urge for a real good gunfight in lovely 5.1 or dts overcame me.I have not seen Heat in a while so i spun the disc and it was great.That and Saving Private Ryan, i feel, are stunning in action and sonic delivery.What do other's suggest i see to beat those two movies for when i next get that particular urge?.

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Die Hard Two has a couple, like the one at the annex skywalk

Also a film called DRIVE has tons

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    How about the bank hold up in "Heat" or
    more De Niro in "Ronin" ...
    There's also one of the best ever in "The Matrix" ... Enjoy [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

4. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncan,Yeah the Die hard series was good but i always felt that they were terribly artifical and contrived.I like that sense of realism within movies,that's probably why i admired The Matrix for the special effects,but i still felt the action was orchestrated,and that spoiled it for me.I suppose that's why i like De Niro's movies so much.You always feel the action with him,i can't wait for the Godfather series to be out.

5. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that Face Off had some pretty good scenes in it ,but it was pretty far fetched and i got quite bored after a while.What a good shootout requires in my book is beliveable action and realistic special effects.Movies like The Wild Bunch and another Peckingpah one called The Killer Elite from the 1970's with James Caan in it was great.That's what i love about dvd is that some of these great movies are out and about and can be appreciated all over again.

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What about the best car chases?
    Mine is the one at the end of Bad Boys, my sub goes crazy and that 911 Turbo is one of my favourite cars.

------------------
    "Sh*t! I don't belive it! You... You burnt da f*ckin money!"
    Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

7. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    For a good shootout how about Desperado near the end when there's 3 of them with the old guitar cases? Sweet.

Car chases = Ronin Visualy and sonically sensational.

8. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah car chases are mean i had not throught of that!I still think that Bullitt is top's,you get that real sense of involvement and i think that the buildup is superb before all hell is let loose,what a movie

9. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tee i think that you are right that Ronin was sonically brill,but i was a tad disappointed with it.I'm a De Niro fan but somehow it just did not click.Yes it was slick but i felt that the action was just a mite too choreographed(is that how it's spelt?).

10. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    With out a doubt IMHO it has to be bone collector in glorious DTS,especially when in capter 2 after zooming through the skylight the jumbo jet roars through from back to front on my ax1.Also the steam pipe scene and the locomotive scene.Totally awsome!!!

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only problem with 'Bullitt' is that bloody VW Beetle that appears in just about every San Fran shot......and just how many hub caps does a Dodge Charger have?? Obviously not meant for repeated and 'anally retentive' viewing [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 19-09-2000).]

12. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    1dazgwinn, I see what you're saying about Ronin, it's not one of De Niro's best, but it is underatted by many and the action is real good in a film that has a good plot. (for once)

Other favorites that haven't been mentioned:

The shootout in The Thin Red Line (chapter 16 - "The Bunker")

Grosse Point Blank - Shootout in the supermarket. Superb film, very funny.

True Lies - The shootout after Arnie's been drugged, with all the rockets and the flame thrower thing. Explosive action.

Tee

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Fave segments in films?!

1) Heat: The bank robbery, and resulting street gunfight is possibly the most amazing english-language gunfight ever!

2) Hard-Boiled: For sheer jaw-dropping, comic-books style audacity, John Woo's Hong Kong opus can't be faulted! Watch either the opening "Tea House Massacre" scene, or the final 20-minute "Hospital Slaughter Siege"! For everyone who thought that "The Matrix" was a stunningly well-made and orginal film, sorry but Woo beat you by eight years!

I found "Ronin" to be very disappointing. Even the car chases were only moderately exciting, however I know plenty of folks who will disagree with me on that.

"The Negotiator" was great! Rented it at the weekend, and purchased it yesterday! Kevin Spacey and Samuel L Jackson are two of the best actors of modern times, and will hopefully become as well-known as Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, when they are a little older.

Pooch

14. DT

DT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about "Face/Off" There's some pretty good scenes in that film

15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chases in Ronin were sh*t. Ooh! a grey d*esel Citroen chasing a Peugeot 405, how exciting. Not! That Audi S8 was a beast though.

Oh, yes and the film was guff too. Heat was a far better modern De Niro movie.

------------------
    "Sh*t! I don't belive it! You... You burnt da f*ckin money!"
    Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

[This message has been edited by MilesBennettDyson (edited 20-09-2000).]

16. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The ROCK (the last 20mins)

If John Woo remasters the Killer and Hard Boiled in DD/DTS nuff Said

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Person'ly I rate Ronin higher than Heat....and most other fims in fact. I'd put it in my 'Top 10' for sure, and it certainly has the best car chases (the best car action of course was in 'Le Mans'

18. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,553
    You want cool shootouts,here's some of my fav's: T2:Arnie lets rip with his chain gun,no casualties!!!! BLADE RUNNER:The gun sounds awesome when he shoots it,especially in the zhora chase scene. Army of Darkness:Ash lets rip with his boomstick.

------------------
    DO OR DO NOT,THERE IS NO TRY...........

19. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Calm down mate. Ronin is not a s**t film, ok, everyone has there own tastes but **** films are films that star Seagal, or are directed by Roland Emmerich. As for Heat, of course it's a better De Niro film, it's one of THE best modern films.

Tee

20. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Some more suggestions:

The Big Hit - silly but funny with excellent picture and sound effects / shoot-outs

Replacement Killers - ok, not the best movie there is but lot's of shooting and the 'babe' is just gorgeous

Ronin, Face/Off and Heat are highly recommended as well, so is Desperado.
    LA Confidential and The Negotiator might perhaps match the requirement, too.

21. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't for one minute understand PeteH rating Ronin better than Heat.O.k the action is probably more in quantity but lacks the quality.But that's only my opinon .Having only just had the chance to read the post's from yesterday when L.A Confidential was mentioned i went and got out my copy ,which happens to be R2.Now as it happen's,this was probably the last R2 that i brought but the gunfight at the end is really good.Thanks for that ,i had not seen that for yonks.Also the yellow beetle does spoil it a bit in Bullitt, but it's still my fave!

22. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just realised that no one has mentined any Clint Eastwood movies or any westerns other than The Wild Bunch.My fave of Clint's has to be The Outlaw Josie Wales.We can't have a chat about gunfight's and not mention big Clint.That seen at the end when they are in the log cabin is great.

23. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gun fight in John Woo's A Better Tomorrow Part 2 has to be seen to be believed. Absolutely awesome.

24. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The Long Kiss Goodnight has a couple of real good shootouts. (Note the REGION 1 version which is Digital not the Pro-Logic R2 version) The sequence at the station and the shootout when Jackson flies through the window on the chair are both good value.

------------------
    Tee

www.electronicreality.co.uk

25. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    As part of my campaign to try and get more support and interest in the forum I have decided to resurect a few of the classic older threads.

New peoples thoughts are welcome and older views are loved as always

Cheers
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

26. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A cybrog movie call Nemesis!
    This guy escapes from an armed gang by shooting circles around his feet, thus going down the floors of the old hotel.

27. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Personally, I thought the car chases in Ronin were great. Don't you get a bit tired of every car chase being two or more ridiculously expensive vehicles doing frankly unrealistic manoeuvres?

In fact, one of the truly irritating sights is a film where someone driving some mentally fast supercar is being chased by either the bad guys or the cops in some dull American four door sedan, or some lumbering 4x4, and yet can't escape. What's the problem? Can't he find third gear?

28. Mattie

Mattie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    <Silly embarassing self-deprecation follows>

Face off - near beginning when Troy jumps out of crashed plane pulling out from behind his back a pistol in each hand, rolls into cover..

my wife and I love that scene so much that whenever we see a pair of bananas we jump up and re-enact it. (using the bananas as pistols in case you were wondering).

<how's that for revitalising the forum Duncan?>

tee- I didn't know R1 Long Kiss was DD! you have really made my day and I will make sure Santa brings me a copy.

[This message has been edited by Mattie (edited 28-11-2000).]

29. Hezzer

Hezzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I agree with the comment made earlier that there should be more westerns in this thread -

Tombstone (Val Kilmer and Kurt Russel)
    Yong Guns
    The Unforgiven

Got a clint movie in there as well!

Some other favs of mine are -

Last of the Mohicans (infantry versus indians)
    Gettysburg (some amazing scenes in here although some very dull speeches - out on DVD next month so I hope they hve a good soundtrack)
    Aliens - The ambush scene and the bit where they weld the doors
    Saving Private Ryan - all of it!
    Die Hard - again various. Much better than later movies and infinetely better than a John Woo film!

As for car chases Bullitt wins hands down although Ronin is good.

30. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Mattie, yeah mate Long Kiss IS in Digital and it sound fantastic, the bridge explosion at the end is DANGEROUS. [​IMG] The excellent trailer is also on the disc and is also in Digital.

Oh yeah, I have actually reviewed it, check it out by clicking below. [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk