1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right Choice?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Colonel Burton, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ok i posted in the all in one forum the other day about getting another system on a budget of 800/900£ but since then had a word with (yeah you guessed it) the mrs and now i can spend what i like lol but i don`t want to go above 2000£ thats my top line any cheaper would be better, anyways i was now thinking about the YAMAHA RX-V1400 would this be a good choice? what dvd player would go well with it without any know issues i was thinking about the DENON DVD2900 DVD PLAYER and of coarse the what speakers question again i was thinking about the KEF's KHT 2005.2 package so what do you guys think please remeber that the system i have now is the Philips LX8000sa so you can see i`m really good at picking stuff :rotfl: cheers all

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I have the 1400 and 2900 and they're a fabulous combination.

The player can be had for £550 new, and the amp around £590. Bargains both....

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Also worth looking at is hte Pioneer 575 DVD player. Its well respected on her and a lot cheaper than the Denon. The Yamaha is a fantastic amp. I would suggest you look for the 2400 as now it has been discontinued it should be had at some bargain prices. If you arent going to buy now it night be worth looking at the Mordaunt Short Genie system as it is being aimed at the Kef system and should beat it.
    http://www.hello-genie.co.uk/

I take it small speakers are the order of the day as there are more choices than the Kefs. Like:
    http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/celestionAVP305.htm
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/910

Dont forget you need to budget for interconnects and speaker cables.

4. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, yeah small speakers are a must due to lack of floor space so you would say that the Celestion AVP305 Speaker System would do justice to the yam amp? and the Pioneer 575 DVD player is it that good compared to the denon just going on the price difference cheers

5. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    The Pioneer is a good player, but has woeful build quality. I had one for a few weeks and then bought a 2900. Similar picture quality, but the Denon destroys the Pioneer for audio performance and as an ownership prospect there's no contest.

As ever, you pays your money...

6. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers Radiohead, almost made me mind up :D but what about speakers like i mentioned above "small speakers are a must due to lack of floor space" any suggestions on what would complement the amp/dvd player?? cheers once again all

7. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't pay too much for a 2900 (recently sold mine for 770 Euro on Ebay), as its successor 3910 in 2 weeks hits Germany, and Austria next week.
    Many improvements (visit the USA site for all details & manual) a.o. a variable sub crossover frequency - at last!
    Of course, Dutch Denon dealers have never heard of the beast, so I already preordered one from my regular supplier in Germany at just 980 Euro's net, a good price.
    Cheers

8. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So can anyone suggest any speakers that meet my above post would these be any good and as for the Denon 3910 is this the one you mean? cheers