1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right, buying time

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by David Mackenzie, Aug 23, 2004.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I've been putting this off for long enough, it's time for me to buy an LCD TV. The most I'd like to spend is about 1400-1500. This no longer limits me to bad quality as it used to, so I've been seeing what's available.

Something I find infuriatingly stupid is the fact that on the European models, Component video inputs are often removed and replaced with a SCART socket. Obviously this is more useful for most European customers, but removing Progressive Scan is unforgivable IMO: I'd REALLY like to be able to use my GameCube and DVD player in 480p.

So! Does anyone on here have any LCD recommendations for me?

What I'm looking for:

Around 22-27 inches
    Progressive Scan
    A nice contrast ratio (I'd obviously like to minimize the "LCD mist" on dark scenes)
    Good response time, but I can tolerate some motion blur.

I've been looking at a Thomson 27" model but apparently this only supports Progressive Scan over the VGA input which sounds sort of inconvenient.

Thanks!

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sony 26" LCD TV (26HG2 I think) has 2 scart (one RGB - highly necessary for anyone with Sky, NTL, Freeview) and component inputs (and memory stick). Importantly the picture is really very good. Same goes for Panasonic 26LXD except it has built in Freeview!!

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Liam, thanks very much, looking around your site the Sony you mentioned does sound very good. I'd feel more comfortable going for the Panasonic one you mentioned though - the built in Freeview is also very good, I'd be happy to sell my standalone receiver.

Regarding the Sony 26HG2, the Progressive Audio Visual site mentions it won the What Video & Widescreen TV Best Buy award, yet they don't have this reviewed on their site. Could anyone point me to another review of either this set or the Panasonic one?

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The award isn't on their site yet, I think it's still in a current magazine. Looking around the Panny can be had cheaper than the Sony (and includes Freeview) although I've done no side by side comparisons to know if Sony is significantly better or not.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm a little skeptical about Sony stuff... anything I've had from them hasn't lasted for too long.

Do you know if either of the models you mentioned has control of stuff such as Noise Reduction and Comb Filtering? I've seen occasional instances where Noise Reduction in particular has caused some annoying visual artifacts.

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You'll find all LCDs and Plasmas will use 3D comb filtering a some sort of Noise Reduction so simply having it is not gonna tell you whether or not the implementation is any good I'm afraid!

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yeah, but what I meant is that if it did a half-assed job of it, it'd be handy to be able to turn it off.

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Oh right gotcha!!! Not sure, haven't got either here to check I'm afraid. Any owners out there care to comment?