Right bought a Laptop and regret it.

ytgti

Established Member
Reaction score
But what can i do to make it better.

Ive got a Dell Insiron 5100, P4 2.4GHz, 256MB RAM, 16MB ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 Gfx card. Right i need a better Gfx card and more RAM i presume. Can anyone point me in the right direction, especially Gfx card were to get one from, what to get, what would fit, how much ect.

Cheers.

You can upgrade the memory upto 1GB on that laptop, but I fear that you'll be stuck with the low spec gfx card. Only upgrade I can see on the Dell site is to a 32MB version of gfx chip (must be onboard as in most laptops).

If you really need to upgrade to play better games on a PC then you'll have to ditch the laptop and get yourself a good spec desktop. Sorry...

2nd Alan's comments, most likely graphics card are part of the main board and not replacable. Memory is at a good price though, so buy now. 512MB is plenty, although you could go for total 768 or 1025MB

Originally posted by alanrob

If you really need to upgrade to play better games on a PC then you'll have to ditch the laptop and get yourself a good spec desktop. Sorry...

If you get a desktop dont fall into the LCD trap get the best CRT you can afford the salesman will point you towards the more expensive LCD but for games the CRT is much better and cheaper ! ( they dont suffer from dead pixels either !!! )

The new generation of LCD TFTs with response times of ~16ms are supposed to be no difference to a CRT. I haven't seen one yet, but will likely purchase one, unfortunately space has become an issue and I need to get rid of my hulking CRT :)

Give me a CRT monitor over LCD flat panels anyday. If you want the best PQ you are happy to sacrifice a little desk space.

A 19" CRT is about £160 now for a big brand. 19" LCD?
Agree with Max- dead pixels would drive me batty!

ytgti, if you were to sell your laptop, how much do you want for it?

Originally posted by Sinzer
The new generation of LCD TFTs with response times of ~16ms are supposed to be no difference to a CRT. I haven't seen one yet, but will likely purchase one, unfortunately space has become an issue and I need to get rid of my hulking CRT :)

The new ones may be on par with a CRT but you still have the issue of dead pixels !
I was in well known large p.c. superstore ( you know the one ! ) one day and a guy came in with a LCD he got the guy to plug it in and he showed him a dead pixel. The teck guy agreed it was dead but said it was within tolerance !
The guy went off his trolly but this seems to be the norm,if you buy one you gotta expect a dead pixel or two.
Like Nathan this would do my head in i would end up looking at the pixel and not the screen .
My advice " get a bigger desk ":D

Originally posted by nathan_silly

ytgti, if you were to sell your laptop, how much do you want for it?

I've been thinking about this. It cost me £999, i got a 15'' screen instead of the 14'' and it's about 3 weeks old now. I was thinking Proberly the £800 mark, obviously i don't want to lose to much money.

My brother is interested in my laptop. If buys it I'll have cash for yours.

Won't ask any more Q's, as I guess you need to create a "for sale" post.

Yeah. Ive only thought about it like, but i wish i had built my own. See what you can do about your bro, and if you want it i might sell.

I've got a 17inch 16ms TFT and don't have any dead pixels or screen blue at all!

Just bought a 17" CRT, 1600x1200@75Hz for £90 inc VAT. Can't argue with that. All the good TFTs (17") cost around £300+ and the resolution isn't anywhere near 1600x1200.

Or you could buy a monitor like this one ^_^;;

Want want want want...

If you want a laptop for gaming then you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more for a decent rig compared to a desktop. IMO Laptops should only be used for work and a bit of MAME/emu ^_- But for 3D gaming its best to stick to a desktop.

Yeah, mine cost 400, but now I can actually use my desk!

I don't want to get into the CRT vs LCD row, but to just add that i had a high end 19" Iiyama pro CRT and although it could display high resolutions it was at the expense of sharpness. This lost any advantage of using the higher resolutions etc.
I now have a 19" (viewable) Samsung TFT 1280x1024 res 25ms response, and the sharpness is stunning at the native resolution, softer in lower resolutions.
I haven't noticed any problem with the response rate, or any dead pixels. Just a lovely thin modern looking screen.;)

this argument about TFT's saving space, I've got a deep desk (I like to stretch my legs out) and if I put a TFT on it I would have to pull the screen forward at least half the depth of the desk, the saved space would then be behind the monitor collecting dust as ever, unless you use the space to hide all the regular desk crap.

Seems to me the majority of people desire a TFT for the looks or because they are 'the latest thing'.
I dont hear many people talking about the energy saving advantage and lack of eye strain and dry skin after a marathon sesh (my reason for desiring one!) Apart from these reasons a CRT is much better value for money at the moment.

Originally posted by Erpland
this argument about TFT's saving space, I've got a deep desk (I like to stretch my legs out) and if I put a TFT on it I would have to pull the screen forward at least half the depth of the desk, the saved space would then be behind the monitor collecting dust as ever, unless you use the space to hide all the regular desk crap.

... or get a less deep desk and thus save floor space.

Originally posted by Erpland
Seems to me the majority of people desire a TFT for the looks or because they are 'the latest thing'.
I dont hear many people talking about the energy saving advantage and lack of eye strain and dry skin after a marathon sesh (my reason for desiring one!)
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79445&perpage=&pagenumber=1

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom