Rift S ?

++ Jase ++

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I was going to buy a Valve Index of Rift S.

I decided on the Valve Index but the delivery time was 8 week or more so I never got around to ordering.

The delivery time is still 8 weeks or more on the Index so I'm thinking of getting a Rift S as they are in stock but I also see there's a Quest 2....

Is now a good time to but or are new headsets on the way? and is the Rift S a good choice or is the Index worth the wait?

Dont get a Rift S. Dead tech.
Get a quest 2 and buy virtual desktop, use your Quest as a Rift wirelessly. Or buy the cable if you want it with a cable like a Rift.
Plus you can then play the standalone games without a pc

Dont get a Rift S. Dead tech.
Get a quest 2 and buy virtual desktop, use your Quest as a Rift wirelessly. Or buy the cable if you want it with a cable like a Rift.
Plus you can then play the standalone games without a pc

That's what I was thinking but didn't even know there was a Quest 2 until a few moments ago so totally confused, what's a Virtual Desktop an app for the quest? does that mean you can play VR games such as iRacing, Assetto etc and would there be any lag?

The index is worth the wait
Hp reverb g2 is better value than the index imo for the short term
Quest 2 is another cheaper option

would not think about the rift s. Worst refresh rate, black levels, audio, fov and no ipd adjustment

The index is worth the wait
Hp reverb g2 is better value than the index imo for the short term
Quest 2 is another cheaper option

would not think about the rift s. Worst refresh rate, black levels, audio, fov and no ipd adjustment

OK so it sounds like my quick fix is not worth it. Back to the Index then but I will check out the G2 as I'm not sure what that is.

OK so it sounds like my quick fix is not worth it. Back to the Index then but I will check out the G2 as I'm not sure what that is.
Amazing resolution and better colours than index with the same index audio.

only trade off is it’s a wmr headset so uses wmr controllers but they are still good enough for VR of course

@++ Jase ++

I would say its down to your requirements and budget. Plus where you want to go in the future.

Take myself as example. I'm not not budget constrant so can look at all options. My requirements are best tracking, Knuckle controllers, wide FoV, Steam support.

So Index fits all my requirements. While Pimax 8KX has the highest resolution and widest FoV it doesn't come with Valves level of software expertise so they are a no go for me.

The Reverb G2 has the higher resolution and better clarity when it's finally released but I don't like inside out tracking and the G2 doesn't come with Knuckle controllers. The FoV is slightly smaller than the Index. No go for me.

The Quest2 is just made by Face book demons.

So of the four choices I recommend the Index, if your budget allows. Seems more expensive now but once you're invested in Knuckles and Base Station you wont have to buy them a second time if and when the Index 2 comes out next year. Don't quote me on that.

Index is the best all round package and you won't have to login to evil Facebook overlords.

Index = Short term pain for long term gain. Quote me on that. Good times.

Amazing resolution and better colours than index with the same index audio.

only trade off is it’s a wmr headset so uses wmr controllers but they are still good enough for VR of course

Looks good, stock due November. Doesn't look like there are any packages though just the headset, do you need to buy controllers and tracking device/camera separately?

Get yourself a G2 and spend the 300 quid left over that you would have spent on the Index on drugs, hookers and beer. Or maybe games, depending on your preference lol :laugh: :rotfl::laugh:

Spend 300 on a Q2. Hook it up to your PC wirelessly. Play the PC games you want to play.
If at that point you're happy - you're all set and all youve spent is 300 quid.
If you're not happy, think about upgrading, but there's a really good chance the Q2 will do you.
(and this is coming from a Vive Pro user who has spent out on index, controllers, wireless kit etc etc).

If you want the better over all PCVR experience get the Index, maybe you wan to play sim racers, then the G2.
If you are on a budget and just want to dip your toes the Quest 2, but it will cost your privacy and you stand the chance to loose all your purchases at random.

If you want the better over all PCVR experience get the Index, maybe you wan to play sim racers, then the G2.
If you are on a budget and just want to dip your toes the Quest 2, but it will cost your privacy and you stand the chance to loose all your purchases at random.

And have those purchases restored by Oculus/Facebook Support...eventually.

And have those purchases restored by Oculus/Facebook Support...eventually.
Yes once you’ve uploaded a piece of government ID or a scan of your passport, And we mock China’s totalitarian control.

Or you can avoid all that by having three friends on your Facebook account that can vouch for you. Either way, you won't lose your games like you've stated, you can get your account unlocked by Oculus/Facebook Support.

the biggest factor is your budget really, wouldn't recommend getting a Rift S now though as it's being discontinued, if wanting to stay around the £300-400 mark, your options are more limited, either a Quest 2, or stretch a little further to a Reverb G2, personally Im using a Quest 2 at the moment and find it ideal for my needs, I only play VR games casual, not into Sim racing etc.

Imo if you are uncertain about VR and want to dip your toe in the quest 2 is a slam dunk. I bought mine expecting to use it for exercise untethered in mobile mode (don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a knackering work out in VR) however it has surpassed all my expectations in PCVR as well.

I mean I am not saying it's a better headset than the G2 or index....... But it IS good enough to give you a taste of proper VR and the controllers are still fantastic , 2nd only to the knuckles.
£299 AND you get a AAA level title as well (which i am proper jealous of btw,) worth £30 for under £300

Imo if you are uncertain about VR and want to dip your toe in the quest 2 is a slam dunk. I bought mine expecting to use it for exercise untethered in mobile mode (don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a knackering work out in VR) however it has surpassed all my expectations in PCVR as well.

I mean I am not saying it's a better headset than the G2 or index....... But it IS good enough to give you a taste of proper VR and the controllers are still fantastic , 2nd only to the knuckles.
£299 AND you get a AAA level title as well (which i am proper jealous of btw,) worth £30 for under £300

Don't worry, you can have my spare copy of Asgard's Wrath once I get my Quest 2 if the offer is still going by the time I get it. It's getting delivered between the 30th November and the 14th December I think. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom