Rift S vs Quest

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
I’ve owned both for quite a while now but had always kept them separate, never even considered comparing the two as each filled a different role for me. The Rift S was my “serious” hmd, used for flight sims etc, whilst the Quest was more for active, stand-up titles. And for taking round to friends and family to introduce others to the delights of VR.

When I first got wind of the Link cable I barely batted an eyelid, as I had notions of the data transfer rate struggling, and the whole process being a poor second best. However, with the impending release of the G2, I decided to order a Link cable to find out whether I could get by with the Quest, and then sell the Rift to help fund the G2. And with second-hand prices so good at the moment, it would cover a fair portion of the cost.

So, the 3rd party cable turned up from Amazon, and the setup process was nowhere near as much of a faff as I had anticipated. In fact, it was a breeze. So, I fired up DCS to have a bit of a test, and my results were mixed. Firstly, there seemed to be a slight blur to the image, that I could not eliminate. Almost like looking through a smear of Vaseline on the lens. I fiddled with SS settings, and god-knows what. Followed aYouTube video that didn’t appear to make any difference at all. I’d never noticed a blurred image playing Quest-native titles, so have come to the conclusion that the graphics are inherently simpler on Quest games, so it never becomes an issue. Frame rate was pretty much identical, with no extra stutters thrown in, which was my biggest fear. Sound was of a similar quality, different, but no better or worse. But, the biggest bonus of all was the black levels. I hadn’t really noticed just how poor they were on the Rift S, and certainly didn’t expect the Quest to be better in this department, but the difference was staggering!! The black dials of the cockpit gauges look so much better now. Comfort wise, there is no comparison really. The Rift S is lighter, and just fits nicely for me. The Quest, on the other hand, is heavier and just about tolerable.

All things considered, of the two, I would rather have my Rift S as my main PC headset. However, as a temporary tide-me-over, the Quest is doing a fantastic job as a jack-of-all-trades, and shall certainly do until the G2 arrives. If I had known about how good the Link cable was, I would have probably done this much sooner, maybe selling the Rift S to fund an Index. However, the more aggressive pricing of the G2, and the fact it is almost tailor-made for simming now makes the decision so much easier to make.

darren68uk

I like your review, I have only owned the quest and no other headset, and only had that for 3 months maybe, but being a pc gamer always want to squeeze more juice out of something, but I think what you said above sums up my experiences , as have tried various tweaks but not really got anywhere, and actually prob what have benefited just waiting for the official beta updates that have had the most affects on performance On the quest

it’s a bit of a catch 22 wirelessly it’s a no brainer, but I’ve found hOuse bricks that weigh less than this thing, I have the frankenquest mod, and it’s helped but it’s still a handful lol

i was not interested in the G2 but it feels like it’s going to be the ultimate tethered HMD so far,
surely thou that’s a good thing for oculus , if they are thinking of a quest 2 it’s goto be lighter than feathers and just as capable as the G2, they know people are still buying the quest so a G2 wireless equivalent even at £700 is going to sell , I’d buy it

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Yes, the Quest is a bit of a lump. Unavoidable I guess, given that it is a self-contained unit. I’m expecting a Quest 2 to be a fair bit lighter come the day.

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
The only thing I don’t like about the Link cable is the fact that it is straight at both ends, meaning that it sticks out of the HMD and is easily snagged. I don’t know if the official cable sports a 90 degree bend at either end, but at £70, or whatever it is, I can live without it for the short term.

darren68uk

The only thing I don’t like about the Link cable is the fact that it is straight at both ends, meaning that it sticks out of the HMD and is easily snagged. I don’t know if the official cable sports a 90 degree bend at either end, but at £70, or whatever it is, I can live without it for the short term.

i decided to buy the link cable despite already having an equivalent, my ocd recommended it lol

yes it does have a right angled end for connecting to the hmd

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
That makes a huge difference. But I’ve only got to survive for a couple of months (hopefully), before the G2 lands, so I’ll soldier on with my cheap cable like the trooper that I am :laugh:

KingD

interesting your experience also pretty much mirrors my own, we have both, wifey uses the quest whilst I much prefer my S, be interesting to see what you make of the G2

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I’ve owned both for quite a while now but had always kept them separate, never even considered comparing the two as each filled a different role for me. The Rift S was my “serious” hmd, used for flight sims etc, whilst the Quest was more for active, stand-up titles. And for taking round to friends and family to introduce others to the delights of VR.

When I first got wind of the Link cable I barely batted an eyelid, as I had notions of the data transfer rate struggling, and the whole process being a poor second best. However, with the impending release of the G2, I decided to order a Link cable to find out whether I could get by with the Quest, and then sell the Rift to help fund the G2. And with second-hand prices so good at the moment, it would cover a fair portion of the cost.

So, the 3rd party cable turned up from Amazon, and the setup process was nowhere near as much of a faff as I had anticipated. In fact, it was a breeze. So, I fired up DCS to have a bit of a test, and my results were mixed. Firstly, there seemed to be a slight blur to the image, that I could not eliminate. Almost like looking through a smear of Vaseline on the lens. I fiddled with SS settings, and god-knows what. Followed aYouTube video that didn’t appear to make any difference at all. I’d never noticed a blurred image playing Quest-native titles, so have come to the conclusion that the graphics are inherently simpler on Quest games, so it never becomes an issue. Frame rate was pretty much identical, with no extra stutters thrown in, which was my biggest fear. Sound was of a similar quality, different, but no better or worse. But, the biggest bonus of all was the black levels. I hadn’t really noticed just how poor they were on the Rift S, and certainly didn’t expect the Quest to be better in this department, but the difference was staggering!! The black dials of the cockpit gauges look so much better now. Comfort wise, there is no comparison really. The Rift S is lighter, and just fits nicely for me. The Quest, on the other hand, is heavier and just about tolerable.

All things considered, of the two, I would rather have my Rift S as my main PC headset. However, as a temporary tide-me-over, the Quest is doing a fantastic job as a jack-of-all-trades, and shall certainly do until the G2 arrives. If I had known about how good the Link cable was, I would have probably done this much sooner, maybe selling the Rift S to fund an Index. However, the more aggressive pricing of the G2, and the fact it is almost tailor-made for simming now makes the decision so much easier to make.
Indeed and this I think is a problem for the RiftS. I think most accept it has the edge over the quest for PCVR but it is not exactly night and day difference but what you lose in pcvr over the rifts you gain in having a hybrid VR headset with standalone as well. In my (limited ) experience the riftS is not better enough over the quest to warrant buying if you have a quest..... You are.much better going for a decent upgrade if quest is not good enough for you.

Oculus need a higher end device imo along side quest

huxley

Totally agree. The Quest at its price point is an amazing bit of kit. And with the new relaxed attitude to sideloading is going to make it more appealing to the masses. I could be tempted to pick up a Quest 2 if they make changes for comfort, which was the only reason I gave mine away.

thesnowdog

You're certainly right about the black levels on the Rift S. When you first try out the Rift S the black levels aren't great but you get used to them after a while, even with dark games like Elite Dangerous and horror games.

Same with the sound too, once you adjust the sound settings in Windows.

It's only when you go back to an OLED headset with headphones that you REALLY notice the difference.

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
interesting your experience also pretty much mirrors my own, we have both, wifey uses the quest whilst I much prefer my S, be interesting to see what you make of the G2

I can’t wait to be able to test the G2 for myself. Hopefully, my system will be able to get some functionality out of it before I upgrade the whole kaboodle

Indeed and this I think is a problem for the RiftS. I think most accept it has the edge over the quest for PCVR but it is not exactly night and day difference but what you lose in pcvr over the rifts you gain in having a hybrid VR headset with standalone as well. In my (limited ) experience the riftS is not better enough over the quest to warrant buying if you have a quest..... You are.much better going for a decent upgrade if quest is not good enough for you.

Oculus need a higher end device imo along side quest

Yes, you are right. The difference between the two is negligible really. I’d love Oculus to release something more cutting edge, but can’t help feel that they are more than happy to pursue mobile gaming now. Not sure how committed they are to high-end anymore.

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
You're certainly right about the black levels on the Rift S. When you first try out the Rift S the black levels aren't great but you get used to them after a while, even with dark games like Elite Dangerous and horror games.

Same with the sound too, once you adjust the sound settings in Windows.

It's only when you go back to an OLED headset with headphones that you REALLY notice the difference.

I did get used to the muted blacks in the Rift S. It’s only when I made the direct comparison that I realised how far I had let my standards slide in this department. Elite Dangerous was still great to play, but the inky-blackness of space had been replaced by a murky brown/grey. Having said that, I am still very fond of the Rift, and, at the present price point, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one to someone on a budget. But I’m sincerely hoping that the G2 will be a major step forward. And if it is there will be no looking back ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom