Answered Rift or Vive!?

I couldn't get those past the wife, they are larger than my cinema room speakers unfortunately.

@onezeon if you let us know whereabouts you are there might be a kind soul who'll invite you round to have a test.

I'm a Rift owner and I do find it to be quite a PITA at times. There always seems to be a warning up about one sensor or another, it's very fussy about USB, you need extra USB cards if you want 3 sensors and it's fussy about the drivers you use for it.

I've never found Oculus room scale to be 'plug and play'.

It's also annoying me at the moment as it insists on downloading updates to the same drive I have my OS on and it runs out of space as my OS is in a small drive. All the games are stored on another drive, why can't it download updates there then just install them from there?

But then the Rift is still very competitively priced. What could I buy with the difference in cost between the two? A decent wheel? A decent HOTAS? That's what it would always come down to for me, with the actual headsets being so closely matched.

or one of the pimax models.

Not sure the OP's 1070 would support a new generation Pimax. Even @Atmos hasn't recommended one in this case.

I couldn't get those past the wife, they are larger than my cinema room speakers unfortunately.

Good job she doesn’t have problems with printers :p

What speakers do you have they must have less than a 3cm driver?

The lighthouses are quarter the size of a Blu-ray case.

FCCA423-B-2689-4-F9-B-9743-3-E451-E535-EE0.jpg

Not sure the OP's 1070 would support a new generation Pimax. Even @Atmos hasn't recommended one in this case.

Valves Smooth Motion technology came out since which is equal to Oculuses ASW which will help in a lot of cases.

It also depends on the game and what CPU you have too. But yeah for Pimax I wouldn’t want anything less than a 1080ti. No one ever said high end VR was cheap.

@Thug This is how Lighthouse would look. It would be the same size as your sensor and wall mount.

E77-BB738-58-BB-4-B5-C-8169-5857411-BD7-B6.jpg

...and the new BS2.0 are even smaller than 1.0. They’ll be available soon but you’ll need a Vive Pro or Vive 2 for them.

D40-E2714-B232-4-B55-A0-B1-9-A3-A17265566.jpg

Last edited:
Good job she doesn’t have problems with printers :p

What speakers do you have they must have less than a 3cm driver?

The lighthouses are quarter the size of a Blu-ray case.

FCCA423-B-2689-4-F9-B-9743-3-E451-E535-EE0.jpg
Believe me, she hates the rift sensors on the wall so the lighthouses would take some persuading.
Funnily she is fine with the printer.

My cinema room speakers are a similar size (and even they took some persuading).

7E6960EE-8D0F-47DF-A266-08597F322E07.jpeg
CDCB6B09-6A51-41E9-9598-AD7908B59231.jpeg

Attachments

• C303CB8F-05F9-4650-8704-A58DACA335D0.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 62
  • F7479588-C818-4EF8-910C-E7D39D575260.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 63
The real question is do you want USB cables running all the way to where your PC is located, or a power cable to the nearest outlet?

I know which one is a lot simpler for me.

My USB cables are pushed under the skirting board so you cant see them.
Much better than a multi-gang plug extension hanging out of the wall at the power socket and a power lead going to the lighthouse.

I guess what works for some, doesn't for others

Ok well ordered the Vive which should be here tomorrow and a mate (lives 200 ish miles away) has sent me a 3rd light box/plug/bracket and a spare vive controller he doesnt have time for anymore....for FREE!

Will set up later in the week if not weekend and get some games downloaded.
100% getting Beat Sabre,Job simulator and a few others

My USB cables are pushed under the skirting board so you cant see them.
Much better than a multi-gang plug extension hanging out of the wall at the power socket and a power lead going to the lighthouse.
What's that printer plugged into then?

It's fairly easy to hide a plug adapter behind a cabinet or bookshelves. It's a lot harder having to run USB everywhere and praying to the cabling gods that it actually works.

What's that printer plugged into then?

It's fairly easy to hide a plug adapter behind a cabinet or bookshelves. It's a lot harder having to run USB everywhere and praying to the cabling gods that it actually works.
Another USB cable which is also hid and the single socket behind the cabinet.
If I had a lighthouse I would need either a double socket or an adaptor/multi-gang extension.
Maybe it is better, providing your sockets are somewhere near your lighthouse. If they are not then you have power leads around your room instead. With large plugs and sockets rather than smaller discrete usb plugs and sockets.
Either way both are great and will give loads of hours of fun.

Last edited:
Ok well ordered the Vive which should be here tomorrow and a mate (lives 200 ish miles away) has sent me a 3rd light box/plug/bracket and a spare vive controller he doesnt have time for anymore....for FREE!

Will set up later in the week if not weekend and get some games downloaded.
100% getting Beat Sabre,Job simulator and a few others

Nice one.

Download advanced settings and crank the Super Sampling to 1.4 on your 1070.

Get The Blue it’s a must have first experience imo.

You should of sent that card to the Oculus Forum when Iribe left. Oh and when they announce RiftS is real. Hahaha.

I sent this one to Pimax too...

Its in 8k, and has no borders cuz its got 200FOV dontcha know .... oh no hangon....

Sym.jpg

:rotfl: A smiley because I couldn't get one under the pic :D

(can you tell im board? Whos next!?)

Nice one.

Download advanced settings and crank the Super Sampling to 1.4 on your 1070.

Get The Blue it’s a must have first experience imo.

Im a bit of a vr noob....how do I do this??

Awesome I'll do that once I'm all set up

Ive just read the vive only supports 2 base stations and a 3rd wont do anything or may cause interference???

Shall I just use the 2 in opposite corners of the room as advertised??

Yes Base Station 1.0 only supports 2 but BS2.0 supports up to 16 Lighthouses. For home use you only need 2.

BS2.0 don’t support the original Vive only newer VivePro/Pimax Headsets.

Yep opposite corners facing center angled slightly down is best.

Last edited:
Ive just read the vive only supports 2 base stations and a 3rd wont do anything or may cause interference???

You only need the two in opposite corners for complete coverage of a rectangular area. They have a significantly wider sweep (120x120 degrees) than the Oculus cameras.

I could probably part with abit of lose change if you wanted to move 1 basestation on. :cool:

(My phone keeps changing base station to Babestaion... How does it know?! :rotfl: )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom