Question Rift incoming. Help with new cinema room setup please.

grant666uk

Have ordered a Rift from Amazon and it should be here by the end of the week. My room is used primarily as a cinema/gaming room. I can push my chair back giving ma a almost 3 meter square to play in. Will this be ok ?

Also I was thinking about mounting the two sensors on the side of my projector screen housing. At a later date adding a third on top of my projector, Would this be ok ? To high maybe ??

Last of all I have four glass cabinets in the room. One on the right quite far back but the one on my left is very much in the way. Will this be a problem ??

Please see pictures for more info.

Thanks for the help.

20180074_10155461919947296_97690819_o.jpg
20137865_10155461920172296_558182331_o.jpg
20148823_10155461937562296_149103232_o.jpg

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
The best advice I can give is to take all that expensive stuff and put it in another room. Then buy some some nice bed quilts and nail then on the walls and floor. :D

Under no circumstances whatsoever should you play Fruit Ninja VR until this has been done.

grant666uk

The best advice I can give is to take all that expensive stuff and put it in another room. Then buy some some nice bed quilts and nail then on the walls and floor. :D

Under no circumstances whatsoever should you play Fruit Ninja VR until this has been done.

Ha Ha don't think the Wife would be happy with that. Already have the upstairs hall filled with stuff.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
3x3m is perfect. High mounting is ideal, it sounds like you have a similar VR set up to me.. I think glass won't hurt tracking (though not certain) but I do have visions of the potential for the opening credits of an episode of casualty. I have just under 3x3 m and have punched the wall a few times. Imo when creating your guardian boundary deliberately lose a foot from that glass case

Last edited:

Thug

The only think I would add is that you shouldn't place your third sensor in the middle. It should ge to one side, as per the instructions...

Placing Your Sensors
To make sure your sensors can accurately track your movement, follow these tips:

Space
  • Make sure nothing is blocking the line of sight between your headset and the sensors.
  • Move away any objects that you may bump into or trip over (example: sensor cables).
  • Make sure your play area is at least 3 feet by 3 feet (1 meter by 1 meter).
Sensor Placement
  • If you're only using 2 sensors, try to put your sensors 3-6.5 feet (1-2 meters) in front of where you’ll be wearing your headset.
  • If you're using 3 sensors, try to put your front 2 sensors 3-9 feet (1.2.7 meters) in front of where you'll be wearing your headset. Then put your rear sensor straight back from one of your front sensors, and no more than 14 feet (4.3 meters) away from the farthest front sensor.
  • Check to make sure the glossy side of the sensor lens is pointing towards your play area.
  • If your sensors are close together, rotate them so that they face forward. If your sensors are wide apart, rotate them towards the center of your play area.

css_jay99

would the 2 font sensors not be better just slightly behind and above the speakers so limited view of trailing black cable. I am not sure the sensor cables will stretch that far to those locations without an extension.

grant666uk

IMG_0641.jpg

Got two mounts and popped my speakers up. Thought I could put the sensors on top aiming down ??

mozza54

my space is roughly 7ftx5ft and im mostly ok so you should have plenty but maybe move the glass outta the way as smacking objects is like an expectation with the rift :D Having limited space I tend to stand centred with my back to the wall, take a step forward and im generally in a good spot to move in all directions.

For the sensors, make sure you set them up before nailing them down to anything (if your planning to do that). A front facing setup requires them to be no more than 6ft apart and its awfully precise about it. My Room is 3m across, spent ages setting them up in the corners to be told I needed to move them closer.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom