1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridiculous Sky+ installation situation - please help

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Matt V, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Matt V

Matt V
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello there.

I've just come off the phone to Sky sales, fully intending to buy Sky+ there and then, but didn't. Here's why:

My flat has a communal dish. And as it is a new build, I am lucky enough to have two satellite points pre-installed in the living room. At this point in the conversation, I was referred to an independent supplier - usual procedure I assumed.

I rang the supplier, who offered to install the box for £60, which seemed reasonable, but advised that the box itself would cost £199. When I pointed out that this was £100 more than the deal advertised on Sky's website, I was told that they couldn't match that deal but that I should call Sky back, as they provide the same service anyway.

Slightly bemused by then, I gave it a shot. The girl I spoke to said that Sky will only carry out 'full installations' (dish+box) and that it is because they are a large company they can offer Sky+ for £99. She couldn't explain why it was that Sky couldn't install just the box and not the dish. She did however suggest that I look in Yellow Pages for a second-hand box if I wanted one cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience of second-hand boxes? I've just spent a not inconsiderable amount of money on a home cinema system and am aware of various hardward/software upgrades that Sky have implemented recently to Sky+ so don't really want to compromise. Nor do I see why I should, given the situation.

As a new Sky customer (potentially, though on the evidence so far...) I would appreciate any advice.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    If your current communal dish already supports Sky+, you should order the service from Sky and pay the discounted price. Then when the bloke with the ladder arrives with the new dish and box, ask him not to go up the ladder and change the dish. He'll be cool about it, I'm sure. Ask him to just install the sky box and test it. He won't tell Sky that you didn't use the new dish and eveyone's happy. Try it.

But check your communal dish is Sky+ ready first.....
    :)

3. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    When me and the girlfriend moved into our current house, the people we bought off had normal Sky Digital but not Sky+ - they took the Sky box with them.

We ordered Sky+ and the guy just left the existing dish and added an extra cable to feed the Sky+. Don't see why this isn't the same as what you are after....

Just sounds like the usual crap Sky service ;-)

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,235
    All (most) the Sky installers are sub contractors, therefore whatever you ask them to do if it eases their installation, I am sure they will do. They already try and do it in record quick time anyway so if it speeds up their installation, then it's a bonus for them as they can get on to another installation. I think they get paid per installation anyway?

5. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Has the £99 deal finished then :confused: I've looked around the $ky site and only find a deal for £149.......... :rolleyes:

6. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For new subscribers it's still £99

Look here

7. Matt V

Matt V
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you all for your cunning advice. I will give it a try!

Nobber22 - how do I check if my dish is Sky+ ready? I am presuming that having two points means it is...

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Did the same, no problems.

As long as it is two independent feeds running back to the switching box, then you should be fine. Should only be a problem if they have just used a splitter from one cable feed. They would have to real cowboys though for the latter!