Ridiculous Blu-ray pricing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Greg Hook, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,716
    I'm sure there has been a thread about pricing before, but my local Tescos has been doing blu-ray for quite a few months now. Discs are expensive, range between £16 - £20. Occasionally they have a cheap random one at £11.97 but normally between the main price range. Wouldn't buy them at those prices, but only a few quid more than the internet, so fair enough.

Was shocked when I went in today to have a look. They had Ironman on Blu-ray, at....

£25 :eek:

Who the hell is buying these blu-rays at these prices? Someone must have bought it at £25 otherwise they would not have it on the shelf taking up space.

I expect this from the likes of HMV and Zavvi etc, but not from Tesco.

2. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,681
    Was browsing in Zavvi earlier, I saw a run-of-the-mill catalogue title, can't remember what it was, but something I may have bought had the price been reasonable.... £30!!!!

With prices like that, it's no wonder they went out of business.

3. LanceR

LanceR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    If it's the in Milton Keynes, they have got a stonking clearance sale on, the prices on the displays aren't what's charged at the tills. I was in there last week and didn't see a single disc priced at 30 quid. I walked away with the incredible hulk for 11 quid.

4. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224

I used to pay more for Laserdisc but that was before internet shopping. It's hard to imagine they'd be many into Blu-Ray who are not into the net. As you say who the hell is buying them?

Cheers
    Bri

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    BD is the new thing to get into so just like when DVD was 10 years ago after a year or so. It is their excuse to jack prices back up to £20+. When BD eventually get take over by something else (HVD???), I will expect the same prices again. Hopefully, most people will just buy cheaper online. I don't pay more than £12 a disc but have had several lately as low as £9.

Their cheaper discs such as Journey to the Centre of the Earth is by EIV and they have the sense to be cheaper than most other people and turn up in the 3 for £18 offers. They are rather hit and miss in terms of quality/specs though.

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Seeing as my first DVD cost £17.99 back in 2000ish I'd say current prices are what you should expect for a relatively new ( first 2/3 years) format.

7. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Random discs in Zavvi and HMV are anything from £25-£30. Cheeky, cheeky!

8. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    I agree but that is probably cheap compared to Laserdisc and as pinkprobegt said DVD.

Cheers
    Bri

9. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you want cheaper prices through bricks and mortar retailers then it's up to the movie companies/distributors to lower their prices.

As far as Tesco goes - if their milk supplier is too expensive and not willing to negotiate then they simply go to another milk supplier to get a cheaper deal.

Don't like the price that you're being sold Iron Man on Bluray?
    Well tough - there is no one else to get it from.

As has been mentioned before this is totally on par with the launch of DVD - £20 - £25 was the average price on the high street during the initial launch of that format - even at those prices it was almost a no brainer as the difference in quality over VHS (on just a standard TV!) was night and day - you just had to have it - i'm not sure Bluray will be able to persuade the masses this time around, although prices will eventually drop.

10. Bittern

Bittern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    I remember going in the local woolworlths on they're closing down sale.All the Blu Rays were £30-£40 :eek:.Um closing down sale means cutting all the prices, idiots :rolleyes:.

I never buy in store anymore, internet only for me.

Saying that, the local Asda has a good deal now and again.

11. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224

I recall them being £20 and less. Rather good in it's early days.

Regards
    Bri

12. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    I don't think I ever paid more than £20 for a Laser-Disc and it's not like I was short of a few,(and I was on the dole at the time). On no, wait... Star Wars Trilogy... Paid near a hundred quid for that one. Ouch. :rotfl:

13. dude-1981

dude-1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had a bit of a shock when I went into Tescos last sunday too. Indiana Jones was £25. Wall-E £19.95 and TDK £20.

I guess they get the odd impulse purchase. Maybe if you've had a couple of beers on a Friday an extra £5 to see TDK that evening seems an ok Premium.

And my branch is 24 hours too it's not like you can go onto Amazon at 2am and order a blu-ray......oh wait, hang on....

14. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    Yes I remember that NTSC set. I bought the 4/3 Pal versions for under £20 each. I'm not on a huge salary but £20 a disc to someone on the dole must've been terrible.

Respect
    Bri

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Laserdiscs cost me up to £35. As soon as it came on two discs, the price went up by £10 over a single disc film. I paid £18 each for the NTSC Star Wars films and they were still second hand (from Disc Emporium). I never got a chance to get the PAL ones as there was a problem and the set with its THX certification and was deleted almost after it came out.

The solution is simple to high prices, buy online. I don't ever expect cheaper prices on the High Street. I went into Blockbusters and they are still doing 2 for £25. It sounded good at first but most of the titles are 2 for £18 on the net. Also, none of the latest films are in theoffer. The Dark Knight was £19 and Iron Man £18. If people are paying £25 on the High Street for one film then the stores are going to expect there is a demand at those prices.

I was still paying up to £20 a film in 2002 and 5 years after DVD came out (collecting for 4 years).

16. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224

Two for £25 ain't bad. I know the internet is far better. The thing with these offers is the limited choice, especially when you already have most of the titles you want.

:(
    Bri

17. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Bloody right it was terrible... It ate into my beer money! :rotfl::rotfl:;)

18. vader100

vader100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    A lot of people are comparing to Laserdisc.........um as a format it failed:rolleyes:

19. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    Beer or LD?

What a choice. Sophie didn't have it so good.

:devil:
    Bri

20. LanceR

LanceR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    I had the import star wars box set cost me a bloody fortune back then i was earning plenty mind

21. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    No it didn't. It didn't do as well as almost every other format at the time but it was far better. I bought my first player in 1982 and I still have a LD machine. I haven't used it much since DVD but it was the DVD of it's time and it deserves a certain amount of accolade for that.

All the best
    Bri

22. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    You lucky begger. I wasn't and I still paid a fortune for those damn things.

:D:devil:

All the very best
    Bri

23. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    [​IMG]

24. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    Is that STTNG? Wasn't it all released on LD?

:D
    Bri

25. richard_t

richard_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    If by failed you mean it was the format of choice for serious film collectors / home cinema fans for 10 - 15 years, introduced OAR for 99.9% of releases, brought Dolby Digital and DTS sound into the home and more or less invented 'supplementary material', then yes, I guess you could say it failed.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Blu-ray fails in a similar way.

Seriously though, people complaining of Blu-ray pricing these days, don't know when they've got it good. I used to be an avid LD collector and the cheapest discs I ever bought were £29.99 and believe me there wasn't many of those. The vast majority of 'normal' single disc CLV editions cost £34.99 and if it was 2 disc either single sleeve or gatefold release you could bank on it costing £39.99, £44.99 or sometimes even £49.99 depending on the title / studio.

Some where a lot more than that though. I sure i paid £130 or maybe a little more for a gatefold CAV Critereon release of Taxi Driver! CAV boxsets such as the Disney stuff was regularly that sort of price too. CAV meant big price increases for a tiny improvement in picture quality and the ability to freeze frame which normal CLV discs didn't have. This of course was off set by the fact unless you had a player that changed sides you had to get up every 30 mins to turn over or swap the disc!

I was young at the time, had a poorly paying job, but i was addicted. They were like crack to me. There was nothing like getting new discs delivered, the excitement of seeing the courier van arrive, the smell of them when you took the wrapping off. It did take me a good few years however to pay the not insubstantial credit card debts off that they left me with. :oops:

26. vader100

vader100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    We want Bluray to "succeed" the way VHS and DVD have i.e. become the chosen format for the vast majority of people. When that happens we may end up getting BD prices comparable to DVD now.

Laserdisc was not a vastly adopted format. I do not know one person who had a Laserdisc system. The prices for the discs never dropped to the prices seen for VHS and DVD. Yes it was a good format and brought an evolution to the home cinema world but in pure business form it failed. It did not become the norm and was surpassed by DVD.

This is a thread about the pricing of discs and Laserdisc prices were one of the reasons it didn't get mass adoption.

Laserdisc fanboys happy now:thumbsup:;)

27. richard_t

richard_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Wishing for mass adoption and therefore cheaper pricing is great but it's got to come with one important proviso...

That is that the format isn't diluted at all to suit the mass market. You can already see plenty of threads and posts on this forum where people complain about grain (which is of course more apparent due to the higher quality image from Blu-ray) and aspect ratio. If people here, who on the whole I would have thought would be more educated on this kind of thing are complaining, what's it going to be like when Joe Public is regularly buying titles?

If the studios see this and decide to start using DNR or less severe aspect ratios than a title was filmed in just to placate the mass market then the format will be a massive failure - for those who care at least.

That being the case I'd much prefer the studios to stick another tenner on the price of the discs and leave it as a niche product for fans and collectors.

Everyone else can either stick to upscaled DVDs or download 'hobbled' versions if that's the next big thing.

28. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    I can't see studios tampering with aspect ratios at this point. They did in the early stages of DVD, but by now it's very rare that a DVD gets released in the wrong aspect ratio and I believe that will stay the same for Blu-ray.

29. richard_t

richard_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I hope you're right. However at the time of DVDs release widescreen displays weren't nearly so popular.

Cropping a 2.40:1 image to 1.33:1 wouldn't have been accepted by any early adopters of the format as at the time it they were the same people who collected Laserdiscs, knowledgeable film fans.

Times have changed and DVD has introduced a whole new range of people into high quality AV, many of whom are apparently more interested technology than they are film. Cropping a 2.40:1 image to 1.78:1 isn't nearly so severe and from reading posts on this forum it would appear that a lot of Blu-rays early adopters would quite like that (in order to get an image with better resolution).

I do see altering aspect ratios though much less of a likely threat than altering the image so that the mass market get the image they think they should be getting.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  30. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190

I knew a few others had LD. We used to swap and play each other discs. The prices were worth paying for the difference in quality over VHS at the time. Now BD is god knows how much better and a third of the prices. It makes BD a bargain in my mind.

There is a high probability that there might not have been DVD at all if it wasn't for laserdisc. I only had it a few years before the format died and don't regret it. I even was still buying LD at the same time as DVD back in 1998-2000.