1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ridge racer video on the psp.prepare to drool ;)

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by SILVERBACK, Dec 17, 2004.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
  2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    How cool is that for a handheld. Got to get one of these just gutted they wont be available in the states when I am out ther in the new year :(

Might not be a bad thing looks like they have major problems with the build quality of the initial units.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    ill sell you mine for 500 quid! :D

Im not particularly happy with the build and with the lack of software.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    That blows me away, looks just as good as the PS2, and thats obviously a first-gen game! :eek:

How will the DS compete with the likes of that?

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    grphics wise it never will. The DS is basically a slightly more powerfull N64.
    The PSP is a PS2.

Namco are making Ridge Racer for the DS. We can compare the graphics when the DS version comes out.

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The ds looks huge as well. Having said that at least it seems to have been put together properly. The bad press the PSP is getting at the moment could kill it over here and in the states before it is even launched and that would be a shame.

I cant imagine the lack of software will last for long. If its basically a PS2 they have hundreds of titles which should be able to be ported to the unit with minimum effort ????

7. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    The Ds Ridge racer is the old N64 ported onto the Ds and tbh it looks rubbish :thumbsdow Pity they didnt attempt to use the Ds rather than a crappy port.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    WOW!! That really is amazing!! Seriously i'm sold on that video, it's an absolutely amazing machine and I can't believe that we now have current gen gaming in a handheld! mmmmm GT4 and Pro Evo 4 on the PSP - I can't wait!

I also agree on the software front, like you say, with this being a handheld PS2 there are loads of class titles that can be ported whist new stuff is developed. The only question mark for me now is the build quality, but even so I can't see this machine being anything but a roaring success! :clap: :clap:

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    after calming down and seeing a couple of niggly build quality issues pop up i think i will after all wait for a us or uk release.besides game wise there isnt one must have title for my personnal tastes.ROLL ON MARCH:)

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It may seem exciting to have lots of PS2 ports for the PSP, but think about this more objectively.

Do you really think that people who already have a PS2 game are going to buy it again to play on the PSP?

Same for new releases. GT4 is due on both the PS2 and PSP. Which version is going to be better? Pobably the PS2 version.
    Do you think that people are going to buy the PSP version over the PS2 version? Also do you think that People will buy both?

They need to focus on making PSP original games and not bother to much with ports.

11. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    but to get it off the ground they need to reel people in with familair games so im quite happy to see them making ports at the minute.obviously a year or 2 down the line im expecting good PSP originals but as it stands now are you honestly telling me you wouldnt like to seee pro evo 4 and san andreas on the PSP ?;)as nintendo are the only ones who have a decent handheld out just out of interest how many GBA games exclusives do they have ?anyone know?

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    :D Of course im happy to see ports!

Cant wait for GT4!
    Just saying that they need to be careful coz as you said Ninty is the handheld king and sony cant afford to make any mistakes.

They have already made one with the hardware problems the PSP is having, lets hope they dont make another mistake with the software.

Personaly I want to see Street Fighter III rd strike, (vampire was done really well on the PSP)

GTAIII (san andreas?)

And some flying sims like Ace Combat 5. These will really show of the power of the PSP.

OF course RPGs like FFX! (that would really be something)

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    forgot all about street fighter now that would be nice:) im not a fan of rpg`s so i dont care if they never make it lol.i think you will find while the GBA does have its exclusives there arent a great amount apart from all the pokemon rubbish lol.i genuinley cant wait for one of these now it really does seem to be a step up from the DS imho and its a must have gadget imho.ace combat on the psp :eek: that would be sweet :D

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Pretty much all of them, the Mario series are the main ports from the SNES era, with one Zelda game as well. All the games that are remakes of the same series all feature completely different levels/tracks, the Metroid games are completely different to the SNES Super Metroid, same for Castlevania, Mario Kart, F-Zero etc.

I agree that not many people will buy ports of the same games, they are good showcases for the software, but do you really want to play the same game again. Plus I am not convinced that certain games really make good portable material. You have to make sure you have a lot of save points in the action games to make sure that people don't leave a lot of time.

Do you really want to play GTA:SA on the move if you are on a really long mission (there are a few that take a while) and you can't save it straight away.

I think SONY wanted to get the PSP out the door ASAP, they know that being first to market or releasing at the same time, is a huge decider in game technology. Personally given the capabilities of the PSP I think they could have stayed in development for another year easily and still would have a huge market or at least it wouldn't affect it's target market. They are in two different markets really, much like the GBA vs N-Gage/PDA's.

One benefit of the Nintendo design is that it is extremely hardwearing, my GBA:SP is great as I know it will not get damaged because of the clam design.

*Sigh* please at least research your comments.

Advance Wars 1+2
    Fire Emblem
    FF:Tactics
    Tactics Ogre
    F-Zero
    Mario Kart
    Zelda
    Super Mario Advance 1,2,3,4 (The best platformers ever released with the exception of 1 which is lame!)
    Metroid Fusion
    Mertroid Zero
    Castlevania (x3)
    Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
    Warioware
    Golden Sun 1+2
    Mario Golf Advance
    Puyo Pop
    Denki Blocks
    Wario Land
    Boktai
    Kingdom Hearts :Chain of Memories

You won't find any of those games on another system (apart from the SNES in some cases and like I said above they are not direct ports but updated either in graphics/sound or levels). These games are also regarded as the best on the platform.

I think you will find that if you are not a fan of RPG/strategy then mobile gaming will not appeal a great deal. You will find a lot of platformers and racers but usually they are not as good to play as on the home consoles due to screen size and controls. The PSP addresses this to some extent, but I will still be buying the system that has the best strategy/RPG games.

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its a bit differnet though because its portable. Even people that have a PS2 will want to play their favorite games on the move.

Then you have people like me that dont have a PS2 (Well I had one but sold it) I think their back catalogue is invaluable to be honest, they should be able to get a huge number of titles to market pretty quickly and thats what users want to see a good selection of games.

They really need to get to a stage where there are more titles available for the PSP than the DS, this i how Sony have assumed dominance in the console market and Nintendo became dominant with the Gameboy.

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I think ports are good depending on the game. I personally don't think that the GTA games would be much good on the PSP but games like GT4, PES4, VF4 would be superb. Generally I can't get enough of PES but I am currently limited to just playing the game whilst at home with my PS2. To be able to play this on the move as well would be superb. Games that have endings (RPG's Adventures etc) wouln't fair to well being ported as most people will have already played them and either finished them or got bored of them.

The SP has got some good playable games on it, many of them original to the console - but so have most consoles (the Megadrive being a fine example!). The way I see it with the handhelds, the choice is clear...

Would you buy a PS2 or an N64 given that the N64 is retailing only slightly cheaper than the PS2. The big screen of the PSP also means that for the first time games like Ridge Racer become more than possible where as before developers were seriously limited in the detail they could put in the game, not only by the power of the machine, but by the size of the screen.

Anyway whilst this thread was discussing the amazing quality of the RR video and subsequently the machines ability to port PS2 games, it does seem to have become a Gameboy V PSP thread again. How many exclusive titles the GBA has is irrelevant here so let's get back to discussing the quality of the PSP and the amazing video displayed in post one. :thumbsup:

17. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    My fault this time I will ban myself for 3 days :p

I was bored this morning, and I just hate when people post stuff which is blatantly untrue.

18. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the main reason i could see someone getting a psp and buying a game again for it which they already have on the ps2 would be to play it on the move, then transfer the save over to the ps2 and play it at home once you get in. what an idea!
    anybody know if this is gonna be possible at all?
    how cool would it be to be playing a ps2 game at home, then get a phone call and have to go out whilst still playing the game from the exact same point on the psp, then when you get back in just power up the ps2 and go from there?
    i doubt this is even an idea but it sounds so cool.

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It has networking capabilities so you never know. I doubt the games will be fully compatable though ?

20. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I am pretty sure it is fully compatible with the PS3, so you will likely see cross-overs where PSP games benefit from their full counterpart on the PS3. The same as GBA + GC.

I certainly hope so, because mini-console controllers can make games really special in multiplayer, 4 swords is unbelievable multiplayer!

21. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've been playing Ridge Racers and Lumines all weekend on my PSP, I'm blown away by it. None of the problems advertised on the web such as dead pixels/dodgy cart slot/dodgy face buttons are apparent on my machine.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what games will be coming in the near future, I'm not bothered about PS2 ports at all cos I've hardly played any PS2 games, although there certainly are PS2 games I've wanted to play.

The thought of

Ico
    Winning Eleven
    Devil May Cry
    Gran Turismo
    Gradius V

& other franchises in portable format has me drooling.

Another title I'm really looking forward to is 'Mercury' (out on US PSP launch apparently) there's a vid up on IGN site looks very interesting. It's a maze game where you roll a blob of mercury around (along the lines of super monkey ball), you just tilt the actual PSP as the game comes with a tilt sensor. The physics are well realistic, looks like the game could be very addictive.

22. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its anything like kula world, hold onto your hats :)

23. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Sinzer, your coment about save points is valid but in the PSP's case inacurate.
    You can actually switch the machine off at the power button without saving, and in the middle of a level if need be.
    Once you can start playing again you just switch it back on and it takes you straight to where you left off.
    Its a very similar system to what Mini Disk does.
    It also has its flaw. If you take the disk out it will simply reset the machine, same as MD.
    You have to keep the disk inside the machine.

But it is a good way to switch the machine off in an instant without loosing any data, Then start right back where you left off.

24. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    actually it was my fault as i posted a remark without researching :nono: PLEASE DONT BAN ME :laugh: at this moment in time ridge racer is the only game i have a remote passion to play apart from that no game grabs my interest.the video is jaw dropping though :D

25. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Cool, so it writes it to memory....... does the same happen if the battery switches off or does it actually need to power down properly?

26. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    That just sounds a bit sad to be honest. The playstation brand has always attracted casual gamers, and I can't see it working. Also I heard PSP has instant save capability, like anywhere in the game which would be cool.

I also can't see them making the same game for both formats, people just wouldn't pay for it! They could make an accompanying game, like metroid prime, where the handheld version unlocks features of the console game.

I don't see there being much competition between DS and PSP in terms of gaming quantity, look how many games there are for PS2! However gaming quality I have little doubt DS will win that area! Just look how much dross there is on PS2!

27. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mmmm I think we are drifting off topic a bit again here :rolleyes:

28. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    :offtopic:

Back on topic. . . . . WOW, that is awesome, now for a handheld, well that is just :censored: :clap:

Looking forward to March (got mine on order!)

Ian.

29. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    im so very very tempted to go shopping on ebay for one of these lol.one minute i think i dont need one but the more i see the more i want.

30. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    Playing Ridge Racers at the mo, it's fantastic! I can't believe the quality of this thing, for a handheld it's quite revolutionary! To me the buttons feel fine, the sound is fine, I don't see how the UMD disc can fly out without flicking the eject switch on the top which is well within reach of where their fingers were on the videos I've seen! I'm still looking for the UMD demo disc which I thought was in the value pack but I can't find it for the life of me! Just need to figure out how to get a movie onto a memory stick in a format it will like...

Andy