1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridge Racer AdHoc Gaming

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by monkeyleader, Apr 15, 2005.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hey all,

So a mate has just come back with his own PSP (finally someone to play against) We both have the JAP PSP, he has the US RidgeRacer and I have the JAP Ridge Racer. We both set our PSPs to adhoc - and have so far tried automatic channle and 1 channel - he tries to host and I cant find him and same thing when I host - and yes the wireless mode is switched on !!

Any ideas - could it be a problem between the US game and JAP game ?

ta,

Nige

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Sounds like it. I think even though the machines are the same (except for the Region lock for movies) the games are indeed different.
    The US version will be different from the Jp version. Mainly a language difference.
    Have u tried using any other games? You should probably both use either US or Jp copies.

3. SeedyR

SeedyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    The jap versions of games do not work with american versions of games. However the different consoles do. 2 american copies of wipeout play fine in multiplayer, with one machine from japan, the other from america. looks like you're gonna have to get another copy of ridge racer to be able to play multiplayer.

4. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So Im guessing that this incompatability will be the same when we get UK games ! This kinda sucks as Id rather buy something from the US as a) it will probably be out long before the UK b) be cheaper .. but if everyone around me as the uk version of the game and i cant MP with them ... dam !

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I'm sure the infrastructure mode is compatable between versions (so a US player can play someone in Japan for example) so it's odd that the ad hoc isn't as surely it uses the same code just via a local machine to machine connection as opposed to online.

6. SeedyR

SeedyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    I personally think the american games will work with uk games when in multiplayer mode. well i'm hoping anyway.

7. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm.

its all very strange for now

despite the delicacies of code design it seems totally non-sensical to have region free games but then effectively region lock the multiplayer....

unless you want to stick to a promies of region free games but then region lock through the back door to prevent grey importers picking up cheap games in japan and selling them to the us market at lower than the domestic retail price.

think about it - how many of you brought us wipeout pure because you want to be able to play multiplayer and thought if you got the japanese version you would not be able to.

anyway just some thoughts.... sony strike me as a sneaky bunch

8. drlau9

drlau9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    try this....

1) of you start the game, then startup multiplayer within the menu of Ridge Racer. Make sure you Host....

2) The other player preferably the US RR, select Find, or the 2nd option from the top, then hopefully it will find it.

Cause theoretically speaking, it's just a translation of the game. And many reliable sources say that regioning only applies to UMD Video disks not UMD game disks. The wifi are all 802.11b not g or a etc,

OOoh, Make sure you turn your wifi on. :rotfl: :D You never know.

p.s. I have the japanese ridge racer, and I completed everything and now it's boring so I have to resort to multiplayer.

dr.

9. drlau9

drlau9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You can just use 1 disk? It's like a hack really......

basically You put one of the UMD RR into your psp, load it up then enter multiplayer and select host. Before it asks you to turn on your wifi. Take the disk out and place it the other psp and do exactly the same but NOT host, but connect/find.

Then on the hosting psp click search, and the Connect/ Find psp click search then they shouuld work. Make sure you're using that 1 disk....

Haven't tried it personally, it wouldn't damage your psp. This trick is made possible because of the disk buffer, so basically it reads, stores and plays. And when your playing, it only reading music off the disk, not the track data info.

dr.

10. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    really? does this actually work!!!!!

would be outstanding if it did!

someone please let me know asap

11. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I aint tried to the one disk approach - to be honest tho we are getting a bit of track. I was looking for information on wether you could ad-hoc wireless game using different region coded games. Im using KAI to enable ad-hoc gaming with people across the world and it doees seem as tho this would be the case. For example I can play with someone who has a JAP version of RR but no joy when trying to connect to a US Version - for wipeout pure (of which I own a US version) I can join US hosted games but not JAP ...

Hmmm ...