1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riddle of the sounds

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by silver surfer, Jul 6, 2004.

1. silver surfer

silver surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I'm a newbie here so please be gentle with me....

I have a strange problem with my set-up and hope someone can throw some light on it.

I have a Toshiba SD-330 DVD player which is scarted (IXOS) into a Panasonic TX28PS5 TV (Dolby surround sound) and with the sound output to a Marantz PM4000 amp for CD playback. The DVD player and Tv are a month old, the amp about two years.

Now, I am perfectly happy with the TV and the DVD player. And the amp has always given sterling service in other circumstances.

The problem is this. When I play back CDs on the Toshiba through the amp (not the TV) the sound is distorted. But if I turn on the TV (or disconnect the scart cable) the sound immediately cleans up. Wierd or what?

The toshiba is connected to the amp through a directional gold-plated phono lead. The TV has build-in 5.1 sound.
    I am going to try connect the DVD via S-video or even straight phono to see if that solves the problem....

any help suggestions gratefully received...

2. silver surfer

silver surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you lot are lot of bloody good....
    :laugh:

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Have you checked to make certain that none of the SCART pins are bent or pushed back in (both ends)

Regards
    John

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Chances are the TV shorts its audio inputs to ground via some kind of semiconductor switch when it's not turned on, or that the input amplifier of the TV remains in the circuit and is grossly non linear when the TV is not turned on. This is not a fault, just a "feature". So you need the TV out of circuit when using the amplifier on its own, as you have found.

As to how best to do this conveniently, I'll leave it for others to advise.

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. silver surfer

silver surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks John that makes some kind of sense....though what to do about it I dunno. I note on the DVD manual is mentions connecting the audio out to a digital AV amp (rather than the analogue model I'm using), or maybe that is a red herring...
    The DVD has composite out (though the TV does not have composite in). If you are correct, maybe composite-to-scart will get round the problem....

Sticker - I'll make checking the lead my first port of call.

Incidentally i've just connected the DVD to the TV via the digital coaxial connections to get proper digital sound...i've yet to see if that makes a difference... assuming it "disables" the scart sound connection.

Otherwise it looks like I'll have to buy a separate CD player, which is a bit of a bummer. :(

6. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My parents use the same DVD player (sd330) for both CD playback via an old amp (connected with the analogue R and L) and dvds through the tv via scart. There's no problem with distortion like there is in your setup, so John is probably right that it may be the TV. Try connecting the DVD player to a different TV to find out.

7. silver surfer

silver surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea - though I'm already pretty sure it is the TV because as soon as I unplug the scart from the set the problem goes away....

Another option i suspect is to buy a multiscart adapter so that when I want to play CDs I can unplug the thing without ruining the connectors in the TV or the DVD player (or breaking my neck trying to reach around the back all the time)... assuming you can buy a half-decent multiscart....

Why can't life just be simple :(

8. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hey silver surfer are you the silver salesman of old?? :smashin: