• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ricoh GR users?

MonkeyPrince

Prominent Member
Hi

I'm thinking of trying one of these, and have read plenty of reviews and watched videos etc.

It looks ideal for my needs, but before I pull the trigger is there anyone in here with actual experience of one that can offer any advice or opinions.

I'll occasionally use it for street photography, landscapes and macros. I want great image quality, but it must fit in a trouser pocket.

Will the image quality be streets ahead of an rx100?

Thanks

scottydog101

Standard Member
Hi MonkeyPrince,

I do not have a Ricoh GR but I have recently acquired a Nikon Coolpix A for very similar money to the GR, from your research you will no doubt know that these cameras are similar and in many reviews are pitted against each other. I was in a similar position to you, I also wanted the portability aspects of such a camera but I was reluctant to see a reduction the image quality and I felt both the Coolpix A and the Ricoh offered both. I also considered the Sony RX100 that you mentioned but I felt I wanted just to try a fixed lens. To be honest I could not decide between the Coolpix A or the GR, in the end I just preferred the more retro look of the silver Nikon.

As these cameras are so similar a couple of points that I have found, I do find it slightly frustrating as it does not have any zoom, I am beginning to adapt to this. I also find the autofocus on the Nikon slightly strange at times as it focuses on something that I would not expect. The GR snap focus appealed to me although I have found that the Nikon allows me to select manual focus for a given distance say 10 foot and as long as you select a suitable F stop all remains in focus, so this then offers a similar snap type of focus although this is a work around and the GR will I am sure perform this type of function far better. However whilst I am still learning how the camera works I have been able to produce some images that I have been really pleased with. A real positive aspect is I do find myself carrying a camera on a far more regular basis.

If you can live without the zoom and the obvious initial outlay as these type of cameras are far from cheap I am sure you will be pleased with the GR. Whatever you decide it will be the right decision.

A few shots that I have been able to achieve.

Good luck with your choice.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
That third photo is the Albert Dock?

scottydog101

Standard Member
That third photo is the Albert Dock?

Thank you Dazimus I had no idea what the actual name of the docks were, I just knew that it was in the middle of Liverpool, I was staying for one night just around the corner due to a work commitment. I had a nice meal overlooking this area.

MonkeyPrince

Prominent Member
Hi Scottydog

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer, it sounds like we've been along the same decision path.
I tried the Ricoh for a couple of days, but found the lack of zoom a real hindrance (way more so than I'd predicted).

I liked the snap focus, but I found the auto focus a bit hit and miss. Lack of image stability was the final nail in the coffin for me. These were all things that I knew about, but I'd hope I'd fall in love with the handling/image quality - which although close, I didn't quite do.

I've just bought an RX100M2 on these forums, and already it has outperformed the GR in nearly all of my side by side comparison shots - which has astounded me to be honest.

So far I'm chuffed.

Here are a couple from my first day of ownership

PS thanks again, and nice photos by the way :smashin:

scottydog101

Standard Member
Hi there MonkeyPrince,

You can have no complaints looking at those photographs and I am glad that you are happy with camera that you purchased, it is amazing what they can pack into a small camera these days.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom