Ricky Gervais’s “Derek” funny or....

blue max

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As title. Is this really fodder for humour as he starts a new series?

You do know there's at least two threads on Derek in the TV section?

As title. Is this really fodder for humour as he starts a new series?
Ricky Gervais always makes me cringe! I don't find him the least bit funny.

Graham

Personally I don't find it funny and quit watching it. I think his comedy has gone downhill since he did Extra's. He has tried to justify his character by comparing it with Father Dougal on Father Ted. I'd say Father Ted is set in a weird parallel word whereas Derek is set in this one. I think Ricky went full idiot and everybody knows you never go full idiot.

I think he has really had his day now Ricky's brand of humour has been done to death now.

I think it's brilliant and possibly the best thing he's done. It's a comedy about caring and in parts it's sublime, some of the episodes in the first season had me laughing and in tears within the space of a minute. It's about humanity.

Think I'm agreeing with the consensus here. My wife hates him, but I quite like him.
Maybe broaching subjects that are taboo is a good thing though.

Ronnie Barker

Two Ronnies
Porridge
Going Straight
Open All Hours

Going Straight was cut short when Richard Beckinsale died, so is not so well known but he got a BAFTA for it...

Two Ronnies
Porridge
Going Straight
Open All Hours

Going Straight was cut short when Richard Beckinsale died, so is not so well known but he got a BAFTA for it...
Also Seven Of One and Clarence. The Magnificent Evens was not so successful.

Two Ronnies
Porridge
Going Straight
Open All Hours

i didn't realise Going Straight got a bafta, it wasn't very popular and I remember it got panned by the critics at the time. I thought it was a poor follow up to Porridge.

Well if he is in the same bracket as Ronnie Barker then he can't be bad. I love Steve Coogan too but he has had his problems and misses but doesn't make him any less a genius.

I've tried to enjoy Derek but it didn't do anything for me. the office was the peak, then it went downhill.

I still find Steve Coogan funny as Alan Partridge. The film he did and even going back and watching his TV series still make me chuckle.

i didn't realise Going Straight got a bafta, it wasn't very popular and I remember it got panned by the critics at the time. I thought it was a poor follow up to Porridge.

I don't think it got a BAFTA, I think he did... but I agree as with many sequels it wasn't as good as the original.

I guess I'm slightly prejudiced because it doesn't matter to me how many different shows Gervais does, he just comes across as Ricky Gervais to me. And that is not a good thing IMHO, I find him irritating after about 5 minutes: all IMHO ;)

Last edited:
I like Derik, don't find it hilarious bit I like its irreverence and it's well crafted emotively as well.

The message is a good one.

Just got into this show and watched the first series over the past few days.
It's not just a comedy imo, it's about how doing good and being human is important as seen through the eyes of the title character. Full marks to Gervais as he obviously has a deeper human side.
Love Pilkingtons character in this.

Me and the OH can't stand the man and make a point of turning anything he is in....OFF

Well, he seems to have divided opinion. I guess his portrayal of the character wasn't the issue, but just who he is. Interesting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom