RicherSounds vs John Lewis retrospective Price Promise 14 days vs 28 days

risheet03

Hi everyone,

What are your experiences like with @Richer Sounds retrospective price promises on TVs?

I took receipt of the gorgeous Sony 65X90J on 01/12/2021 for which initially paid £1129, and on 06/12/21 informed RS that Costco were selling it for £1119 and they kindly refunded £20 bringing my total spend to £1109, no complaints. Since then it has come down again at John Lewis where it can today be had for £1049. That's another £60 saving.

I've been in touch with them over email and they've explained that they can only retrospectively price promise within 14 days of purchase, which I understand but didn't realise this beforehand, while I knew that JL will price promise within 28 days of purchase. Had I known this I may have been more inclined to go with JL as 14 days is not a very long time when it comes to purchases like this. Gotta admit I'm feeling a bit salty right now.

Last edited:

dts

Distinguished Member
They will only price match once! You can't keep expecting RS to keep giving you money back! Its not how business works...otherwise there will be nothing left!

risheet03

Wait til around May/June when they drop it by a couple of hundred then you will feel really bad
By then I'll have forgotten about it it's only now while the purchase is still relatively fresh that another £60 saving would've been really useful!
They will only price match once! You can't keep expecting RS to keep giving you money back! Its not how business works...otherwise there will be nothing left!
Yeah I get what you are saying it just feels a bit sour still that's all it's only been 21 days and I could've had it for a whole lot less than I originally bought it for if I'd just waited a couple weeks.

dts

Distinguished Member
By then I'll have forgotten about it it's only now while the purchase is still relatively fresh that another £60 saving would've been really useful!

Yeah I get what you are saying it just feels a bit sour still that's all it's only been 21 days and I could've had it for a whole lot less than I originally bought it for if I'd just waited a couple weeks.
Maybe you should of waited then! Prices will always come down eventually its whether you have the patience to hold off...

depot

[QUOTE

they do provided you can confirm you are a costco member.
[/QUOTE]

That’s useful info, I’m waiting for the 42 oled to be available, I’d like to buy from John Lewis for the burn in insurance.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Next time be patient and time your purchases.

The TV-cycle pricing regime is VERY predictable and seasonal.

risheet03

Next time be patient and time your purchases.

The TV-cycle pricing regime is VERY predictable and seasonal.
I hear ya. I actually thought I was getting bargain of the year at the time and didn't think there would any difference in saving when buying a sony 65" between BlackFriday and Xmas :facepalm: Now I know I will defo hang on until nearer Xmas next time.

mikej

TV prices can oscillate throughout the year but the general trend is downwards so the longer you wait, the cheaper they get. The cheapest time to buy is likely to be just before they disappear from the shelves for good but if you time that wrong then you'll miss out and you're back to square one :D

Feeling salty about it implies that you think you've been cheated or hard done-by, but it clearly states on their website that they'll price-match for up to 14 days and they don't hide this info either - clicking on the 'Lowest Price Guaranteed!' banner at the top of the home page takes you straight to that info. TBH - as mentioned above, I would have thought they would only do this once anyway and you've already had one refund.

If your last TV broke then it sounds like you couldn't really wait much longer, so you bought a good TV at a price that you were happy with at the time, they chucked in a free 6 year warranty and refunded you a week later under their price-match guarantee. I know it may sting a little that it's dropped since, but how you've been treated sounds fair to me.

risheet03

TV prices can oscillate throughout the year but the general trend is downwards so the longer you wait, the cheaper they get. The cheapest time to buy is likely to be just before they disappear from the shelves for good but if you time that wrong then you'll miss out and you're back to square one :D

Feeling salty about it implies that you think you've been cheated or hard done-by, but it clearly states on their website that they'll price-match for up to 14 days and they don't hide this info either - clicking on the 'Lowest Price Guaranteed!' banner at the top of the home page takes you straight to that info. TBH - as mentioned above, I would have thought they would only do this once anyway and you've already had one refund.

If your last TV broke then it sounds like you couldn't really wait much longer, so you bought a good TV at a price that you were happy with at the time, they chucked in a free 6 year warranty and refunded you a week later under their price-match guarantee. I know it may sting a little that it's dropped since, but how you've been treated sounds fair to me.
I guess I should've looked into the price promise period first, and they were very helpful during that period when it dropped at costco. I'm salty mainly because they only offer 14 days vs JohnLewis' 28 days which is a much more reasonable time frame and something they should probably considering changing to.

mikej

I guess I should've looked into the price promise period first, and they were very helpful during that period when it dropped at costco. I'm salty mainly because they only offer 14 days vs JohnLewis' 28 days which is a much more reasonable time frame and something they should probably considering changing to.
Yes that's a fair point, but another thing to consider is that you do get an extra year's warranty with Richer Sounds and I think I'd prefer that over an extra 14 days to price-match :)

risheet03

Yes that's a fair point, but another thing to consider is that you do get an extra year's warranty with Richer Sounds and I think I'd prefer that over an extra 14 days to price-match :)
That's one way of looking at it positively but I would still like that extra £60 back :laugh:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
That's one way of looking at it positively but I would still like that extra £60 back :laugh:
its only £60. unless u buy ur TV in april, its always going to be cheaper 2-8 weeks later. TVs are always dropping in price up until April when the new line comes in. I'm sure if u buy one now it'll drop in price by next month. They're one of the most predictable, depreciable pieces of technology on the market. Its absolutely cyclical with very few, if any exceptions to how pricing will go. Its kind of hilarious TBH.

The insane profit margins TV manufacturers must launch their TVs with, must be mental given how quick they drop like a stone.

Bought a 77'' GX for £6k last year. You can get a 77'' C1 for £2999 and a 77'' G1 for £3999.

Luckily I returned the GX for a full refund due to a fault or I'd be massively butt hurt.

risheet03

There are people buying this TV for £1029 today (including friends of mine) and that is really doing my nut in.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
There are people buying this TV for £1029 today (including friends of mine) and that is really doing my nut in.
People are going to be buying it for 899 before u know it. Then in a years time probably 699 on the classifields. Just move on, its £60... not like its £2000 or something.

New TVs are like cars, they depreciate so quickly. If you want value, you get a high end second hand TV which still has warranty intact like a 65'' OLED I saw on the classifieds the other day.

QLED 65'' Samsung high-ish end For Sale - Samsung 65Q80T (FALD / VA Panel) 2020 Model (4yrs warranty) £700

OLED high end 65'' GX For Sale - LG OLED65GX6LA oled. £1300… £1300 - not selling, could probably get a bargain. Actualy I might buy this one

OLED 65'' B8 For Sale - LG OLED 65B8SLC £500 £500.. dont think u can get better PQ for that price

75'' Sony For Sale - Sony 75" FALD XD9405 £400

Those TVs won't drop or sink in value for at least 12-24 months and you'd probably be able to sell it in 6-12 months without a loss.

vickster

Distinguished Member
You could afford to spend well over a grand on a TV and are now stressing about £60?
First World problem :)

N1ck

its only £60. unless u buy ur TV in april, its always going to be cheaper 2-8 weeks later. TVs are always dropping in price up until April when the new line comes in.

Interestingl, I was looking at a Sony 5 x89j from Richer Sounds. Yesterday it was £699. Now with BOXING DAY ‘SALES‘ advertised everywhere their sale price is now £739. 🤔

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Interestingl, I was looking at a Sony 5 x89j from Richer Sounds. Yesterday it was £699. Now with BOXING DAY ‘SALES‘ advertised everywhere their sale price is now £739. 🤔
normal product cycle for TVs is release = most expensive, 2-3 months later, small price adjustment, then price drop Black Friday and bump back up from the holidays for a false price reduction boxing day/christmas/nye before a proper substantial price drop a couple of weeks after CES, february time, followed by final price drop april-may time, then clearance of any old stock from that time onwards (but then its subject to availability).

if a £60 or £80 saving is a lot to someone and can cause them distress, I'd always suggest just buying:
a) second hand with warranty = best value
b) march to may time

if u cant do the above, just accept u will lose some or a lot of money on ur TV>

Plugman

Sometimes you can get a special price that doesn't make sense. There is one retailer that is selling the SonyKD43x89j for 599 which is the same price they are selling the inferior x81. Given the x89 has 100hz,VA panel and a Direct lit panel its vastly better. There is a massive difference in the price of this TV JL charge 749 Currys 698 but only 1 year warranty from there.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series