Richersounds or John Lewis?

Singh79

Hey guys.

Looking to buy a new Oled TV. I used to have a LG E7 but got refunded as it suffered from screen burn twice. Originally after 2 years of ownership, after which JL replaced the panel on it under the 5 year warranty. The second panel only lasted a year and half and got the same problem again. Both times I was careful as to what I was watching and made sure no news channels etc were watched on the tv.

Now looking for a new tv and keep getting drawn back to oleds. I’ve read many times that the new crop are much more resilient than the E7 that I had. However, I am now weary and a little afraid but really don’t want to go down the Qled route as there is no Dolby Vision etc on those TVs.

I have kinda decided that I want a Sony A80J. My question is..should I stick to John Lewis as they helped me without any issues the two times I had screen burn and even gave me a full refund due to the inconvenience. They even have a specific burn in cover now from what I have seen on their site.

Or shall I look elsewhere? I have been looking at Richersounds and their 6 year warranties and ability to price match too. Are they a safe bet when it comes to screen burn or am I setting myself up for trouble if any problems arise with burn in?

Thanks.

StefanBFC

I've bought plenty of stuff from RS, the customer service has been absolutely spot on.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
While both have a good reputation for customer service, I'm not sure either is going to help you much for screen burn.

JL might have a few years ago, not so sure they'd do that now unless you purchased the burn-in cover. Otherwise, why sell it?

Singh79

They refunded me a couple months ago because of screen burn. I have a feeling it’s covered but by selling the extra cover they’re making a few extra bob out of the sale.

dion 6

I've bought tvs from both John Lewis and Richer Sounds and had oled tvs replaced by both companies. The first oled tv from John Lewis and I ended up with a higher spec tv than I originally had. The second from Richer sounds it was only 6 weeks old so I got a new tv of the same model great customer service from both. But one thing to bare in mind is John Lewis will try to replace the tv with a tv of at least the same spec but Richer sounds will give you a voucher for the value of the tv loosing 10% per year from Richer sounds website

Current value will be calculated taking into consideration the age, usage, condition and packaging of the product. If the item is in perfect condition with all packaging as new, having had reasonable use we suggest the value as follows:

During year One – full value
During year 2 – Original retail less 20%
During year 3 – Original retail less 30%
During year 4 – Original retail less 40%
During year 5 – Original retail less 50%
During year 6 - Original retail less 60%

gibbletts

I'd say if you've had good service from John Lewis I'd stick with them also if the same was to happen again you already have evidence of precedent so simply a case of saying here's what happened last time I'd like the same again.

Singh79

I'd say if you've had good service from John Lewis I'd stick with them also if the same was to happen again you already have evidence of precedent so simply a case of saying here's what happened last time I'd like the same again.
That’s an excellent point. JL just being a pain in the rear when it comes to price matching. The A80J is dropping in certain places that only have one or two shops so JL saying it’s not a nationwide store.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom