• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

RicherSounds Cambridge Audio

neo_2009

I'm looking for a cambridge audio AV, probably the 340R, but the only place i can find it is at Richer Sounds, and all cambridge AV's are GRADED models.

Is there any reason for Richer sounds only have GRADED models?
If i wanted to buy a new one, how could i do it? As far as i could see, cambridge AV's can only be found in Richer shops in UK.

I'm looking for a cambridge audio AV, probably the 340R, but the only place i can find it is at Richer Sounds, and all cambridge AV's are GRADED models.

Is there any reason for Richer sounds only have GRADED models?
If i wanted to buy a new one, how could i do it? As far as i could see, cambridge AV's can only be found in Richer shops in UK.

Cambridge Audio products are only sold by RS.

Cambridge Audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As to why they seem to only sell graded models perhaps they all come off the production line looking a bit second hand.:D

Honestly, I have no idea why.:confused:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I think CA are about to launch a whole new range of HD amps so are selling off the old/graded stock. The prices these are being sold for are making them a real bargain. At full price they were great value for money. At the current prices they are an absolute steal. You will not find a better amp for the money. The only downside is that they do not decode the new HD audio formats. They do however do a great job of DTS/DD and also good with music.

Regardless of quality or price I honestly believe very few people would knowingly buy a non HD decoding AV Receiver any more.

The ever growing popularity of BR has rendered them obselete.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
For people with large DVD collections and not intending on purchasing a BR player then they can represent great value for money. Also the 540R as multichannel inputs so can get HD sound with it with the right BR player. For 90% of most peoples usage viewing these amps will perform far better than any of the budget HD amps.

I have the large DVD collection, then I got a BR player and any additions to my collection are now BR discs.

I tried the multi analogue route but it wasn't truly "integrated". The receiver was merely a power amp with a volume control, for me it was a workaround not a solution.

But each to their own, I just wish I could have found like minded people when I was trying to flog my 1200ES.

At the end of the day an HD decoding Receiver and a BR player still allow DVD playback. :D

So no I would have no use for a CA non HD Receiver even at that price. I can't even say I would buy one just for music as RS are flogging CA stereo amps cheap too.

Last edited:

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
I think CA are about to launch a whole new range of HD amps so are selling off the old/graded stock. The prices these are being sold for are making them a real bargain. At full price they were great value for money. At the current prices they are an absolute steal. You will not find a better amp for the money. The only downside is that they do not decode the new HD audio formats. They do however do a great job of DTS/DD and also good with music.

Are they launching a new range of hd amps or just the 650?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Are they launching a new range of hd amps or just the 650?

Not sure, but read somewhere that they are discontinuing the 340/540 so can only imagine that once the 650 is out that replacements for these 2 will not be too far behind. As stated above by William there is little demand for non HD amps so they will have to either make some or lose market share.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom