richersounds£50 -£80 subwoofers any recomends

T

tim allen

hi was wondering what their cheap woofers are like
Eltax Thunder 8 £50
Eltax Thunder 10 £70
any help
thanks

Decent subwoofers are expensive to make and perceived wisdom is that good subs start at £300.

Eltax are a Danish company and although I don't know where they are made it is obviously not in the UK so the retail price of £50 will include not only £7 for Vat but at least £10 for shipping it in from the country of manufacture leaving just £33 to manufacture a subwoofer.

Originally posted by tim allen
hi was wondering what their cheap woofers are like
Eltax Thunder 8 £50
Eltax Thunder 10 £70
any help
thanks

In a word 'terrible'

They will add noise to music and movies but will not have any depth, precision, slam or dynamics.

These are all essential to a subwoofer and I would only consider the above if it were to be used in amongst a PC for gaming etc. Never for music or movies.

If you've only got £70 or so then you could do worse than try and get a set of Logitech Z560s from PC World if you can still get them for £60 or more on ebay where lots of people are selling them on. The sub unit can be connected to an phono socket with a 79p adapter from Maplins and that should give you a sub that will certainly beat the Eltax models (I've owned an Eltax Atomic 10.2 briefly and didn't even rate it when used with my PC). If you then upgrade to a 'proper' sub you can still use the Logitechs as a killer PC sound system.

Originally posted by tim allen
might have to rethink

What are your main speakers as personally if they produced a reasonable amount of bass I would rather not have a sub than one that might spoil what I already had.

Ian ,
what are your views on Bk xls 200? they sell for less than £300 and people here seem to rate them

just get a empty cardboard box and hit it with a stick,you'll get a better sound,will be tighter and faster.

You'd be better off spending the money on some Es and some Speed and going to a club for the night. £80 won't even get you close to buying a subwoofer worth buying nevermind £50.

Originally posted by facundo
Ian ,
what are your views on Bk xls 200? they sell for less than £300 and people here seem to rate them

BK is a different kettle of fish as they are a manufacturer selling directly to the public and cutting out the retailer. The recent XLS 200 that sold for £279 would probably have been £400 plus if sold in a retail outlet.

Originally posted by Ian J
BK is a different kettle of fish as they are a manufacturer selling directly to the public and cutting out the retailer. The recent XLS 200 that sold for £279 would probably have been £400 plus if sold in a retail outlet.

It performs better than the REL Q200 which is £600 sub and BK are also the OEM for ***** which sell a version of the exact same sub for £850! Same amp, driver and cabinet, only difference is the price and the feet on the unit.

So there are many people who rate the XLS200 highly, certainly not bettered for under £300 and more probably £500.

Availability is sketchy at the moment though with back orders as long as your arm so you maybe waiting a month or two for delivery. Worth it IMO though.

***** Edit by Ian J as BK prefer this info not to be in the public domain

I have been down this road i desperatly wanted a good looking sub with a big driver yes i put looks before sound stupid i know. Two subs later i got wise and bought a second hand yamaha from cash converter for £70 ugly brut but what a difference in sound i now have a second hand paradigm well worth the wait listen to the guys on here i did and it was good advise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom