1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by asdm12002, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had an SR5300 Gold on order from Richer for nearly 3 weeks now and have heard nothing. I am getting concerned about this grey import talk. RS don't appear to be "official" UK dealers. Anyone have any experience with RS, r they ok for service, UK spec models etc. I have bought Mission M72 speaks from them and they are fine so far.

Grateful for any help peeps.

Andrew

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My experience is that they are pretty poor once you are out of the shop..... while you are in there you can badger them into what you want, once they have you out, well they can basically forget about you until you come back! This is my experience though..... im sure others have had better luck!

Keep on pushing at them and i think it would be well worth, once they get it in, telling them that you want them to chuck in thir supercare thing for the time which you had to wait....... then you should hav no problems with the warranty situation

ad

3. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, they "ordered" it 3 weeks ago and I even offered a deposit but they refused so I don't think I am obliged to buy from them. Their price is £320 list is supposed to be £450, I'll ring em up in the week.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    From the RS web site :-
    Source here

5. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, so are you saying it is a good thing or a bad thing or neither? I have heard on here that SR5300 models from Europe may suffer with sound delay problems whereas UK models don't. Your opinion greatly valued as I am thinking of going elsewhere. This set up is to last us for 10 years plus so I'd rather pay out more now and live in peace.

Thanks

Andrew

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Your praise is indeed flattering.
    As for where to purchase it,the short answer is, I don't know.There will be merits for Richersounds as there will also be merits in using other outlets.To quote a well known phrase''you pays your money and takes your chance''. If the potential savings are worthwhile and this is the kit you want, i'd be inclined to wait till they could get you one.Remember if there is a problem you can go back to the shop and get it sorted, it's not always as easy with mail order outlets.

7. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richersounds offer a full refund if your not happy with your purchase and return within a set number of days. So if you took the chance and then found it was a European Import and did indeed have some problems you could just take it back.

8. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I'll stick with RS. Out of interest though when I bought my M72 speaks I wasn't made aware of the return in a few days thing.

John Hurt in Ollivanders Wand shop in Harry Potter 1, "Curious, very curious!"

Andrew :confused:

9. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No they don't. Arcam don't like them selling their products because it devalues them.

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Since Arcams chairman is a member of the forum, perhaps he could comment on that side of things.

11. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stick with r/s by all means but some of their promises are like pie crusts. try phoning round other r/s branches to try and locate one. also try to get another dealer to price match r/s. sound and vision of Bolton have actually beaten some of r/s prices for me.

12. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Arcam list Richer Sounds as an authorised dealer & I've seen their stuff in the shop in Bristol. The items are listed at Arcam's ssp

13. graxxor

graxxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see that elitism is still alive and kicking.:clap: :smashin:

14. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I was told by an admittadly not very happy Arcam dealer that Richer had been after Arcam product for a long time. This was because RS wanted to get away from the cheap and chearful image and needed a quality brand in the shops.

Arcam held out until Julian offered to buy a VERY LARGE (million pounds worth) amount of Arcam products.

I point out this is hearsay, and may have been exaggerated or even untrue.

Whatever, it is Arcam who is giving value and credibility to RS.

15. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, sorry to be a pain but can someone then explain what exactly a "grey import" is and how is it Marantz don't seem to list RS as authorised dealers on their website but RS say they "remain" authorised dealers for all the products they sell? I'm wavering here and feel a trip to Sevenoaks coming on!

Thanks

Andrew

16. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Arcam AVR100 from RS a year ago and haven't looked back since. I was pleased to know I was getting a quality bit of kit at a bargin price. I have to admit that with my current setup there is little that RS could sell me that would improve apon it.
    I have used RS for my last two upgrades and each time they have been excellent. That was the shops though.
    I've only bought from the website once and it was only a cheap DVD player for a friend so I wasn't too bothered that it took a while to arrive.
    If you can use the shops as opposed to the RS website then do. If you see it in stock buy it. Don't wait a few days or it won't be there when you go back!

17. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've only used RS twice and perhaps I'm lucky I've got a decent branch but I've been very happy with the service. They offered advice when asked and were not pushy.

I wanted a Marantz SR4200 but on being told that it was discontinued and out of stock, the manager without any prompting from me, knocked £50 of the price of a SR4300 to bring it close to the price of the SR4200.

On my second visit I was considering some Eltax HT2 and Gale 3060 rears. The HT2's were £30 cheaper but my wife preferred the Gales because they came in beech. Anyway, the HT2's were out of stock so they knocked £30 off the Gales (again without prompting from me) and we got the speakers we wanted a lot cheaper than we thought. I can't fault them.

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have used RS on several occasions with no problems. So long as you know what you want, use them

19. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used them twice - no probs - second time managed to get £150 discount due to mis-priced item in a different branch

20. magik

magik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    asdm12002

the grey import thing...they source them from wherever they can get them cheapest, so they do not come through the official importers, bit like buying a Nikon camera in the USA where they are half the price, bringing it back into this country, that would be a grey import.

21. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thats good, but what happens re the "official" warranty, if my Marantz has to go back to Marantz for specialst surgery will they take it?

Thanks guys, amazed by the reaction to my original question!

Andrew :eek:

22. magik

magik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the warranty thing is usually ok, but do not expect them to go out of their way to help. only if for the fact that you are asking them to repair or fix something that they never got their share of the profit on...

23. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer sounds ,don,t have a clue sometimes! and correct me if im wrong! but does julian richer own the company eltax?i heard he did....makes sense as theyre always trying to palm off eltax whenever you go in, and i was also told that the subs they sell are rubbish, and you would have a better set up without them

24. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have stirred up some feeling here, thanks again for all comments. Perhaps someone from RS reads this and wants to put my mind at rest, after all it's now 3 1/2 weeks since I ordered the SR5300 and I get the impression (my opinion only) that if I don't ring RS up they won't chase up my order.

Andrew

PS Getting frustrated as have speaks ex sub but no bleedy receiver to play with them!

25. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What?, who the hell told u that Eltax subs were rubbish!!!?
    1st of all julian richer isnt danish and he's is NOT head of Eltax
    and secondly i have the Eltax Sub 12R which is 250watt and there is NO WAY u can call that crap, it packs a lot of punch and can EASILY reproduce the bassiest things like explosions, lighting etc:

26. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Several years ago I ordered my Paradigm PS1000 from the Richersounds website. The next day someone from RS phone me to say the subs weren't in stock and would I mind waiting a few weeks, I said OK.

About three weeks later I got another call saying they had just arrived and was I still interested, I said yes.

It arrived the next day.

Also they were very helpful when a mistake was made and I only recieved half the number of Mordaunt-short speakers I had ordered. Sent out a new pair post free.

Have they really gone down hill that much in 4 years?

BTW Is the Servo 15 a rubbish subwoofer. I don't think so.

27. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so would a eltax sub fare well against a second hand rel q150?regardless of how loud a sub goes.. volume means nothing, its build quality and good reviews that sell products.i can,t see a single eltax sub on home cinema choice review pages?if your happy with your eltax then thats fine...but if you had the choice....?

28. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    hamtaro - hcc reviews mean nothing. However having owned an eltax sub & sold it on within three months & then bought an MJ acoustics sub I can safely say that the Eltax sub was a piece of tat - the only redeming feature was that it was cheap

29. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    [​IMG]

30. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: