Richer sounds

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DuncanMiller, Dec 3, 2002.

1. DuncanMiller

DuncanMiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have just been to richer sounds enquiring about the Pioneer DVD656A. Asked if there were any other players with similar features most importantly on board 5.1 decoding and dts.

The only one he mentioned was an accustic DVD451 for about £90 saying that i wouldnt really notice the difference in sound or picture quality.

Does this guy know what he's talking about or is he just a knowledgeless temp?? Im sure richer sounds must sell other 5.1 decoding machines???

2. damien

damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hhhhhmmm accoustic soloutions cost£90 pioneer dv 656 cost £280-£300 ????????????? try to take ANYTHING that a richer sounds employee says with a pinch of salt i went to buy a dvd player when the dvd phenom began and the manager at the notts branch told me that dvd was a phase and will never take off because dvd is no better than vhs?????????????

3. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Hmmmm, which Richer store was it? The guys in Romford are really knowledgeable and arent just after your money.

Twice I deliberately asked one dude which system to buy on 2 different occaisions and he opted for the cheaper everytime.

4. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but going for the cheaper option doesn't mean they know what they're talking about, it could just be that they only have the cheap stuff in stock and want to get it out the door.

John.

5. DuncanMiller

DuncanMiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The branch near Liverpool Street Station.

I've learnt more on this site in the past few days than this guy knew - its pathetic and annoying that they dont train their staff properly.

Looking back at it I should have pointed out a couple of other models I knew did the job just to make him look silly.

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Technically speaking he could be right.

You have to try these dvd players to know. I have a reasonable mid range package of AV goods and a mate who has budget gear cant tell the difference (or doesnt want to).

This mate even thought that because he used his TV and stereo at the same time (phonos to hifi from TV) that he was getting surround sound!!!!

But the point is some people are super sensitive and others arent you have to ask yourself: a) can you tell the difference b) if you can is it worth the extra. For most of the people on this site the answer to both is usually yes. But there are an awful lot of people out there who would answer no and simply the latest unbranded malaysian offering from their local supermarket.

Ive looked at the acoustic range and they arent bad value, but if it was a budget buy with decoder I was after I would go for the cyberhome from richer (componant out and I believe there is a progressive scan option on its latest frimware). Another mate walked into richer sounds yesterday in preston pointed out he could order it from the Eire branch for 100 euros plus postage this would be £80. He got a boxed cyberhome for £80 and a cambridge audio scart for trying to lie to him about duty in goods from eire.

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i find that the guys in the birmingham branch are very knowledgeable. however, there is another store over the road which will remain nameless that is a "serious hi-fi store" were i was told that componant video outputs are not worth bothering with as scart and s-vhs are better.

In short take hifi advice with a pinch of salt and do your own research.

i find this forum is the best place for advice.

Gary

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go on, name and shame!!!

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    ok i'll name the one that it NOT - its NOT "Norman H Field's" its the other hi fi store on smallbrook queensway - those of you that know birmingham will know which one it is.

Gary

10. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I just this morning bought the 656A for £312.84 (inc £20 guaranttee) from Richer Sounds in Bristol I hope he is a knowledgeless temp ...

The salesman I saw assured me the 656A produces a better picture than the Tosh 220 or 2109. One good thing about Richer tho, they take back old kit you've bought from them & give back 50% pf the original price on your new purchase.

I took my old Tosh 2109 back, with my receipt, & got £136 off the 656A.

I'd rang their helpline before, & was told the manager at the store would hve to chek the old machine to make sure it still worked, & check for scratches etc before giving me up to a 50% refund, so I carefully stuck it in a box, gave it a once over with a clothe, threw in an old scart & toddled off. (Hour long, two bus journey) Got to the shop - the salesman did n't even look in the box, yet alone play the old thing .... which is just as well since when I got home I found I'd left the remote behind.