Richer Sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Old

Ex Member
Reaction score
Ohh dear 2013 started as a disaster for me and Richer Sounds.
I have not visited any of their stores for some time but on a recent visit to Edinburgh thought I'd call in and take a look round.
The store is small and very dated, infact it bears more resemblance to pound stretcher than a high tec supplier of hifi and TV's. How anyone can ever get a decent dem and compare different systems is a complete mystery to me, as people pushed past and salesmen carried TVs round the store and music blared out form various other units.
I was assured that it would have been better to make an appointment, and that they don't usually have dems during the winter months.??? All fair points.
However when I exited the store I was questioning the strategy, if they have one, of the Richer Sound store format.
They pile it high, have enthusiastic sales men. They stock some of the best hifi brands, but it's like visiting a junk shop.....'we have it here somewhere, it's just finding it'
Despite these reservations I was told that i could take equiment home and dem it there, but wasn't told how this worked in principal, nor how many Items I could take back and swop for another brand, before they get fed up and told me to sling my hook!'
Compare this to sitting in a quiet room, where the independant retailer is set up to dem anything and everything at the flick of a switch, and you are in a different world.

Snap from a very old richer sounds sale leaflet. The section "why are we are so cheap?" explains why the stores are the way they always have been.
RicherSnds_zps120c35ec.jpg

About a year ago I went in to demo a marantz mcr603 on a Sunday. I was told 'we're too busy, you'll have to come back in the week'!! Glad they didn't tbh as I ended with a brio r and couldn't be happier. Also beware they'll recommend Cambridge audio over anything.

On another note I went into Sevenoaks, got made a cuppa and was patiently dealt with while auditioning 3 sets of speakers. Prices may be slightly higher but I know where I'll go in future.

To be fair to RS, and I'm not a fan, but here in Liverpool it's the only HiFi shop we have. Last year i went to demo some Monitor Audio BX5's and they couldn't be more helpful. Yes they asked me to make an appointment during the week, which was not a problem and the first demo had the speakers being powered by some basic CA stuff. So i came back the following week and heard the speakers through some better quality kit and bought them. Been happy ever since.

It does annoy me that they are so blatant about trying to push CA while they have some quite good quality kit, Arcam, Cyrus,Audiolab etc which all seems to be hidden away in a back room.

I suppose it's down to how well run your local RS is.

Just an observation.

Mike
Have you tried Doug Bradys in Warrington ?
Also there's a good independent store Sale Hifi on the main A56 in Sale (off J7 M60) has some quality kit and is distributor for monitor audio.

Just on a similar note,
I usually visit Peter tyson in Carlisle as it is my nearest hIFI store. They have a great demo room and a good selection of brands.
I have only ever purchased a tuner which they avertised in their web shop, so I just went in and picked it up.
The reason I have never purchased from them in store,was because of the staff, who quite frankly had an attitude where they seemed to be looking down to you, had a cold persona, a manner that said,'take it or leave it' and very little enthusiasm to convert you to become a long term return customer.
The good news is that someone must have twigged, because nearly all the staff have been changed, and on a recent visit the change could not have been more apparent. Friendly smiles, nothing to much trouble, and no question too trivial to answer.
All good stuff, and I will be making a booking to dem....
I can't wait to go back in and that's how you should feel when visiting any shop, regardless whether you purchased anything or not.

Mike
Have you tried Doug Bradys in Warrington ?
Also there's a good independent store Sale Hifi on the main A56 in Sale (off J7 M60) has some quality kit and is distributor for monitor audio.

+1 for Doug Bradys. Top notch shop with the most friendly and knowledgeable staff you could hope to deal with. I bought my Epos speakers from them and it was a joy to go and demo various different speakers with my own amplification there.

I've also been into Sale Hi-Fi for a look around and a chat about the new range of Rotel amps a few months back. I didn't buy anything but the proprietor seemed a good guy and had a nicely laid out shop.

Well actually i made my first HiFi purchase from Doug Brady when they were in Smithdown Rd in Liverpool, so yes i can testify that they are a well respected company. I dont drive, so getting around is a major problem for me.

back in the day you had hifi shops and box shifters
Doug Brady was a hifi shop and still is
Richer sounds was a box shifter and still is

it's such a pity that most of the genuine hifi shops have fallen by the wayside leaving retailers like Richer Sounds as the main competitors

About a year ago I went in to demo a marantz mcr603 on a Sunday. I was told 'we're too busy, you'll have to come back in the week'!! Glad they didn't tbh as I ended with a brio r and couldn't be happier. Also beware they'll recommend Cambridge audio over anything.

On another note I went into Sevenoaks, got made a cuppa and was patiently dealt with while auditioning 3 sets of speakers. Prices may be slightly higher but I know where I'll go in future.

Glad you're enjoying the Brio Rick :smashin:

I think we all know pretty much what we're going to get during the Richer Sounds experience. I've had a few experiences over the years and all have been pretty good tbh. Not the best place to go for a demo, granted but staff have always had a pretty good attitude. Returns policy is good too, which is good to know considering the possible lack of demo.

I was in the Handley branch yesterday looking for a Marantz MCR603 to replace my Brio and the place was heaving, did take a while to get served but in the end I got a good deal on an open box 603 (which sounds ace btw). Cheap and cheerful and do think there's a valid place for them on the high street.

Hi Just Old,

Thanks for your feedback further to your recent visit to our Edinburgh store, although I was of course sorry to read of your disappointment.

Unfortunately, due to the limited space available our Edinburgh store only has a demo area on the shop floor, rather than its own demo room.

However, 45 of our stores do have their own dedicated demo rooms where we are happy to offer a relaxed demonstration in a no-pressure environment, while maintaining our competitive prices. Of course, at peak times (such as over Christmas) our stores do get very busy and an appointment may be therefore be necessary. In addition to this we also offer our customers a 14 day “home trial” period whereby we’ll happily exchange any item that may be unsuitable.

I've attached a couple of photos of 2 of our demo rooms in other stores as an example.

Our customer service is genuinely our top priority, and we stock a great range of top brands without the higher prices often found elsewhere.

In the meantime, if you, or any other forum member, has any further queries then please feel free to PM me directly and I will do my best to help.

Meanwhile, thank you for your feedback.

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• hanley dem room.jpg
    hanley dem room.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 618
  • Newcastle.jpg
    Newcastle.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 551
John
Thankyou for the comments.
As I said in the original post, it is some time since I visited Richer sound, and first impressions are always paramount, to a customer.
They were back then, and they are now.
In this type of environment it makes it difficult to part with hard earned cash, especially if you are considering upgrades that could run into thousands of pounds.

While I appreciate you may have dedicated listening rooms in other stores, that didn't help on this occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom