Richer Sounds Warranty - Philips 65OLED804 Vertical Line

Clarty

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a Philips 65OLED804 TV back in November time from Richer Sounds, who I've always heard are a great retailer with excellent customer service.

About 5 weeks or so ago I noticed a thin line of what looks like dead or stuck pixels on the left hand side of the TV. They seem to show up as a green colour on red/orange backgrounds and are present on all sources and are visible (but less so) over TV firmware menus etc (see attached image).

I called Richer Sounds about it and was told I it was all on me to sort it all out with the manufacturer directly (which was far from the helpful, excellent service I'd heard so much about). So I raised the issue with Philips (TPV-tech) over 3 weeks ago and was asked to send through photos etc of the problem.

Since then there has been little communication from anyone, but after chasing multiple times with both RS and Philips, Philips finally seemed to assign someone to it and asked for some more info (OFFRS Count and hours of usage etc). Once those images were captured and sent over they almost immediately responded claiming that it's 'burn-in' that's caused the completely uniform pixel-width line from top to bottom of the screen. Not only that, but I must have been skipping any pixel refreshing capability that the TV has been attempting to perform. They claim that because I haven't used the TV correctly, it's not covered by their manufacturers warranty.

I don't know how Philips can come to that conclusion; there is no 'ghosting' around the line, the line is a consistent pixel width and runs from top to bottom of the screen. This points to a panel fault as far I can see (in fact google searches of similar issues point to exactly that). 'Burn-in' with OLEDs is an easy get-out clause and its obviously in Philips interests to claim this without doing any real investigation and claim the customer has mis-used the product to absolve them of any costs.

I'm familiar with OLED technology, the dangers of 'burn-in' and how pixel refreshing happens. The TV has always been left in standby when not in use, static images are not kept on the screen and the pixel refreshing mechanisms have never been stopped or even postponed.

This was a very expensive TV which was only just 6 months old (when the issue was noticed), to just dismiss this fault as 'burn-in which is your fault' is a blatant attempt to fob me off rather than to replace (or repair) something that is clearly not fit for purpose. Any ideas?

red_close.jpg
orange.jpg

Last edited:
I'd contact Richer Sounds again as they sold you the TV, not Philips. It's down to them to sort this out and passing you over to Philips is a fob-off, perhaps though, an understandable one considering the current situation and their stores have been closed.

Definitely not burn in. That's a broken row of pixels. Quite amazed Philips tried to fob you off, and as others said, as the retailer it's down to Richer Sounds to sort.

Is it just me, but I find the first photograph a bit odd? The line is perfectly vertical, but the perspective of the photograph is angled. The two don't fit. If the line is perfectly vertical it would surely follow the angle of the left hand edge of the TV.

Is it just me, but I find the first photograph a bit odd? The line is perfectly vertical, but the perspective of the photograph is angled. The two don't fit. If the line is perfectly vertical it would surely follow the angle of the left hand edge of the TV.

A wide-angle lens distorts most at the edge of the frame.
Most Close-up pics taken with a mobile will show this.

Have to agree here, you should never have been told to contact Philips your contract is with who sold you the tv, Richersounds

It’s a line of pixels gone faulty for some reason, @Richer Sounds lack of service and response is disappointing

surprising more like , I have bought several tv's from them and had nothing but exemplary service , mind you I bet they were wanting to kill me in reality ( joke richer sounds ) , it will be interesting to see if this is resolved ........

Thanks everyone for your views on this.

I can’t believe Philips responded like this either and someone who knows less about this technology could have easily been tricked. I don’t think they looked at any of the photos I provided in any detail and just wanted to close the case.

After complaining to both RS and Philips about this since, Philips have begrudgingly agreed to letting their service dept look at it. As soon as I sent the photos through to the local servicing company they immediately said that the panel is faulty (and that it’s obvious). They have ordered a new OLED panel and will be replacing it when it arrives.

Richer Sounds have been in touch about this too, first via PM and latterly via a phone call to express their concern, which I appreciate.

I’m now awaiting the repair and will update here once things are concluded...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom