Richer Sounds replacement TV offer

gumpy321

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

So my QE49Q7F TV that I purchased in November 2017 was written off yesterday by Samsung as they can't get hold of the screen.

The panel has started to turn purple along the bottom where the LED's are situated.

Samsung initially managed to get hold of a panel and fitted it to my TV, but when fitted found it was damaged in transit (Crack in the screen).

So for the past two weeks I've been waiting on a new panel to be delivered, only to be told there is no more stock.

So Samsung have offered me a replacement TV that is as they quote, "Like for like".

The model they've offered me is a QE49Q85T. There are a few problems with this set as "Like for like". Firstly it doesn't use a One Connect box. The one connect aspect is excellent for me as my TV is wall mounted so it keeps cable management to a minimum. Secondly the 49Q85T is only a HDR1000 set, my 49Q7F is a HDR1500 set.

I don't feel like the 49Q85T is a "Like for like" replacement for these two points alone. But Samsung said that if I accept their TV, I'd only get a 12 month warranty with the set? Where as with Richer Sounds, I have a six year warranty?

To my understanding, the QE49Q85T is a QE49Q80T, the exact same TV but sold under Curry's. They changed the 0 to a 5 so that you can't do a price comparison.

So I called Richer Sounds and they said they think Samsung have given a fair like for like set. I disagreed and argued all the points above. She said she would talk to the team that deal with this and get back to me tomorrow as it was too close to close of business to continue.

Ideally what I'd like Richer Sounds to do is give me some form of store credit and let me pick a set and if its more expensive, let me add some cash to it.

Am I being unresonable? I think my points are fair and reasonable?

Many thanks for looking.

I wouldn't consider the HDR1000 vs. HDR1500 difference to be meaningful. They're arbitrary marketing numbers and for all we know Samsung are assigning them differently to the 2020 models. I'd want to see a comparison of real world HDR performance before I'd be worried about that.

The Q80T/Q85T did launch at the same price as the Q70R so it seems like a reasonable offer, it's the direct replacement model.

It's not identical but if you go up to the higher model to get the one connect box then that won't be like for like as it's a more capable TV.

If it doesn't suit your needs then you should certainly discuss the alternatives but they're not being unreasonable.

Have considered upgrading to a more expensive tv and paying the difference with richer sounds and getting a free 6 year warranty. One thing I don't understand is why are you dealing with Samsung not richer sounds I got a tv replaced by richer sounds and the new tv came with a new 6 year warranty

Last edited:
Have considered upgrading to a more expensive tv and paying the difference with richer sounds and getting a free 6 year warranty

Of course. I think that is my aim. I actually hinted at that while on the phone to them, but she was coy at the time and probably in a rush to get home as it was nearing 5pm.

The issue here is the TV that they're offering in the 49" Q80T version is inferior in some ways to my faulty 2017 set, but inferior to the 55" Q80T (Higher HDR 1500 in 55". The 55" Q80T is capable of 120hz, where as the 49" Q80T isn't, I believe). But right now, they're both the same price at £1099.

I'd feel ripped off if I accepted the 49Q80T.

What I'm hoping they do, is offer me store credit, and I'll make up the difference to either the Q90T or Q95T.

I got a cash refund off John Lewis and bought the new tv at Richer sounds because they didn't have the tv I wanted in stock and they suggested it I couldn't believe it

Regarding dealing with Samsung (I notice you edited your post above) I believe they have to offer first dibs or something. I assume if I refuse their offer, Samsung will have to credit Richer Sounds in order to sort me something out? I'm guessing that's how it works?

I won't be accepting any of Samsung offers as they only offer a 12 month warranty and that's simply not long enough for a pricey TV.

I'm hoping someone who has been in this situation with Richer Sounds is going to post here so they can tell me how it usually plays out.

As I said above I bought my replacement tv from richer sounds and after 6 weeks it developed a vertical line which turned out to be dead pixels after phoning and explaining they asked me to email a photo and phoned me back straight away to say they would replace the tv. I'm sure they'll come to an agreement with you there customer service is very good and I'm sure there oporations director is a forum member

Last edited:
I think the difference there being yours failed in its first 12 months. I think this has a different process for Richer Sounds as when you call them, the automated system asks if the set is within 12 months, if not, press 2.

I'll see what they come with today and post back.

Well, they just said they'll be giving me £1100 in credit and told me to dispose of the faulty set as theres nothing they can do with it. I'd call that a result.

Excellent service from Richer Sounds.

Think I'll be going for the 55Q90T.

Well, they just said they'll be giving me £1100 in credit and told me to dispose of the faulty set as theres nothing they can do with it. I'd call that a result.

Excellent service from Richer Sounds.

Think I'll be going for the 55Q90T.
Great glad you got it sorted I think it always pay to buy from a company like richer sounds

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom