Question Richer Sounds Projector Problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by K22, Jul 12, 2018.

1. K22

K22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds Projector Problems

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice on this one please... I know it's long and for that I apologise, but please bear with it! I'm really not sure what to do next?

Around 12 months ago I purchased a BenQ W1110 from RS Brighton. When handed the box I noticed it had been opened and taped back up, it was not manufacturer sealed as it should have been. Curious I thought, but no big deal, they probably just showed it to a customer.

After a slight delay in getting everything set up, I fired up the projector only to find that the image was covered in dust spots, lots of them!

Obviously this isn't right straight out of the box, so back to richer sounds I went, not particularly convenient I might add since I don't live in Brighton. I asked them to exchange the projector, but it turns out by this time I'd had it a day or two over a month and they refused to exchange it. Not a happy boy, but in fairness my fault for not getting it up sooner.

They agree to send the projector away for repair, and I head home and wait for the call. About a week later the call comes and I return to collect the unit. I get home, fire it up, and see exactly the same thing! The image is still covered in spots. Clearly it has not been repaired.

Back to RS I go, and am assured that this time the unit will be sent away for repair (why wasn't it sent away the first time?), I again return home and wait for the call. A few days later the call comes. That was quick I thought, perhaps they're going to exchange it, and head back to collect the unit.

It's all sorted they tell me, I take their word for it and return home with the projector. Of course, when I fired it up it was exactly the same. I'm getting irritated now...

I E-Mailed photographs of the spots to RS, realising from the service received thus far that it would probably be best to put it in writing, but the manager Damian isn't having any of it. Since he personally hoovered it out (he told me this in store when I last collected it), he was satisfied that the image was good and there was nothing further he could do unless I could demonstrate the problem. Gee thanks Damian! How silly of me to assume you'd know what you were doing!

So RS had now twice failed to send the (supposedly brand new) unit away for repair despite their assurances, and had attempted a repair in store which had failed. I am now entitled to an exchange, but Damian still isn't having it. I return to RS, this time armed with a blank piece of paper. I'm going high tech!

I pop the projector down on the counter, and fire it onto the paper. Oh look, it's snowing Damian... isn't it just wonderful! I guess he learned a new trick that day...

He reluctantly agrees to an exchange as a 'gesture of good will', refusing to accept that I'm entitled to one, and I pay another few hundred to upgrade to the W2000 in the hopes it doesn't suffer the same issue.

After some 12 months of ownership, the W2000 develops a rainbow across the top right of the image approximately 2ft tall and 8" wide, so not small. I take the unit in to RS to be sent away for repair. I explain the problems I had with the previous unit to the sales guy and ask him to ensure the unit is actually sent away this time. The unit is still under manufacturer warranty so should be sent to BenQ.

I point out that it's absolutely mint (it's been ceiling mounted for the last 12 months, is kept meticulously clean and still has the plastic wrap on it's surfaces), he agrees, and marks the paperwork as such. He assures me that everything will be fine, and I believe him, he's a genuinely nice guy.

28 days later I get a phone call to collect the W2000. Upon collection the chap in the store tells me that the colour wheel has been cleaned and the unit is now functioning normally. He goes so far as to tell me it was bench tested for five days. So much for my lamp life! I return home with the unit, but leave it in the box for a couple of weeks since I'm a little busy at the moment, no rush since it's all fixed right?

Well I decided to put it back up this evening, and what do I find? The repair hasn't been effected. The rainbow remains on the image, unchanged, identical. It's two feet tall for Christ's sake!

According to the returns label on the box the unit never went to BenQ, but instead to the RS London Headquarters where I assume they carry out their own repairs? Why did they not send it to BenQ, and more importantly why haven't they repaired it?!

What do I have to do to get this fixed? Why are Richer Sounds making this so difficult for me? Any advice on the best way to get this resolved would be much appreciated as I'm really losing my patience with them!

Surely at this point they should just replace it? I don't think a replacement with a 4K unit would be too much to ask given what they've put me through. I can't believe how much trouble I've had with this and I refuse to believe this is how things are done across all RS stores, it's just not possible!

I'm sorry for the rant, but I can't even begin to explain how angry I am! Perhaps I've been unlucky, I don't know, but I really don't think I deserve this.

Many thanks all, K22

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,485
    @Richer Sounds post on this forum from time to time, so they may chime in and try and help you out. The Brighton branch sounds like a bunch of cowboys and should be avoided at all costs.

You could also write to Julian Richer directly and he usually kicks ass over things like this.

Or perhaps contact Benq directly and ask them where you stand as you can't get decent service from RS no matter how hard you try.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. Richer Sounds

Richer Sounds
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Hi there,

I was obviously most concerned to read your thread and offer my sincere apologies.

So that I may resolve this for you as soon as possible please could you PM me with your details?

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks

John Clayton
    Operations Director
    Richer Sounds

4. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,508
    I'm sure I can say with confidence John will sort this out for you so hope things work out to your satisfaction.

5. Jon79

Jon79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Absolutely. John helped me out 3 years ago when i ran into issues with a projector i bought from RS. Was offered a replacement the next day. Top man who understands how important customer service is.

Funny enough that replacement projector's colour wheel failed recently (after some heavy use it must be said) and it managed to make it through the RS repair process. So yeah, not all the experiences are bad ones.