Richer Sounds OLED warranty warning

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by JustinJ004, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JustinJ004

JustinJ004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I've posted in other threads but I thought I'd make a new one now that I have just heard back from Richer Sounds regarding the burn in on my B6.

Their support agent has just emailed and they best they can do is send an engineer out to me (at my cost) to look at the screen and if it is burn in they will not help.

I have stressed that I was told at the point of purchase that I would only get burn in if I mistreated it so I asked if they think me watching Sky Sports News for a few hours a day falls under that.

Not holding out much hope to be honest and I'm really angry that they are hiding behind a peace of paper when I was directly told something else in store. I wouldn't have bought the thing if I hadn't been reassured so that is making all of this worse.

Not really sure what I'm going to do next. They have asked if I am happy to accept the engineers findings which I am reluctant to do as I am considering taking this further.

Anyway thought this may help others who are considering buying an OLED from them in future.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    That's a joke, why do you have to pay for the engineer? If I was being asked to pay for it, I'd probably want an independent engineer, someone who may appreciate that what is happening is not traditional burn in & not user fault.

Also, like you say, I'd be careful about my wording. I'd probably say I'd take the engineers opinion into consideration, rather than accept it, just in case you do want to take it further.

3. JustinJ004

JustinJ004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I was bemused by it being at my cost as well.

I don't think I'm going to accept the offer but I'm going to sleep on it.

Really disappointed in them so far to be honest, I've always heard good things about them from others but this is my first purchase from them.

I still haven't heard anything from the Exeter branch and I emailed them first so I will be avoiding them from now on.

4. mad steve

mad steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    It's shocking really mate, but I was left in the same mess from Currys and LG..

They will just hide behind the burn in must of been caused from abuse..

5. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Is the onus on them to prove that you have caused it or for you to prove that you haven't, from a consumer rights point of view?

6. JustinJ004

JustinJ004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    My guess would be the burden is on them to prove if they claim it's been intentionally damaged which, is effectively what misuse means.

7. martylaa

martylaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I'm really itching to get an OLED but the more I read these type of threads the more I'm thinking what's the point and look to the QLED instead...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The fact that LG has admitted that the 'burn in' effect is cumulative on OLED (unlike plasma) surely the argument that all 'burn in' is the result of abuse or user error is surely null and void.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well I aint buying an OLED for now. There is another thread on here where it says you can enter the service menu and it will tell you the numbers hoursof tv was on, then the number of times it was switched on and off. They then provide a usage factor and if its about 12.68 or worse its put down as misuse and bang goes guarantee. Nice eh!

others are saying a calibrated set will fare better. From what I have read its hit and miss ie one panel may be fine and another will have burn. Now why would I pay 1,5k for such a tv. Maybe the engineer will use service menu. I bet there are so many LG would loose money.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  10. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Do you know what the usage factor is supposed to represent?

11. clydebest

clydebest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,628
    Unfortunately this is not so , it is not covered by any guarantee .. and thus both the retailer and manufacturer stick by the lie( they know it is )that screen burn only occurs when the tv has been misused .. well if watching a tv channel on a tv is misuse .. hence those who take court action win on the not fit for purpose .. a bit like being refused a repair on a washing machine because it has been used to wash clothes in , the list is endless .. the real truth would affect sales , hence the truth will not out. because we have been told OLED is the future.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. mad steve

mad steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846

Thing is mate, Oled isn't the future Q-Oled is.. Or micro Led.. Oled in its current form will go the way of the plasma..

13. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    It's just the nature of the beast. You will get image retention, at some point on OLEDS. Full stop. ( It's not "burn in", btw. That's different and applies to plasma. not OLED. )

14. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    From their point of view they won't cover screen burn under warranty, because abuse will definitely cause it and thats fair enough.

From the owners point of view they should be able to watch whatever they like, as much as they like - a fair request.

I think that until TV manufacturers start giving guidance on "proper usage" they'll lose each "not fit for purpose" claim.

Before we get carried away lets remember that not every OLED tv gets burn in. The question is why not? just from what I've read here its not easy to answer - i.e. not a straight hours of usage, not because it gets used for gaming, people claim to watch sky sports / news channels a lot and haven't got an issue - yet others that claim they don't watch those channels have got it.

Manufacturers probably know more than they let on, but they are unlikely to divulge to the great unwashed.

15. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    This needs exposing on a forum like “Watchdog” . OLED just doesn’t appear fit for purpose and retailers sell it, knowing about the screen burn issues and without adequate warning. They then seem to hide behind the “abuse” line of defence. How can using a tv as a tv be abuse? Reading the other threads on this subject, the burn in or fading of colours is accumulative, so even if you have a banner, black bars or a logo on screen for just a short time, it still causes a problem in the long run. Maybe needs a collection of affected users to bring a group action against the appropriate retailers?

16. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I think the fact that OLED burn in is cumulative really muddies the water here though. Static images don't have to be on screen for hours on end anymore, well not in my case anyhow. It can be a build up over two years.

17. Mane UK

Mane UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    May we see a photo of your screen please? (it won't change any of the advice, I'm just interested!)

With regard to your rights I think there is something written in their warranty specifically excluding oled burn-in (or whatever we're agreeing to call it if that term is only for plasma)

With regards to your legal consumer rights however, within the first six months it is up to the retailer to prove that the set was not faulty and was fit for purpose, after six months it is the consumers responsibility to prove the product is faulty. Nothing they put in a sales contract can supercede this.
    You can look it up: the consumer rights act 2015

18. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    As requested, this is the worst, the other doesn't really show up when I take a picture. This one also looks far worse in person & can be seen in content

Attached Files:

19. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    In that case, I guess the question is does the fit for purpose argument override what the warranty says

20. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Right, so there is a scale here - imagine a static image on screen for lets say 12 hours a day in a shop or similar - I think we could class that as abuse.

At the other end of the scale are people who have just used their tv at home, abuse ? no - probably not.

The problem is that no-one has defined "normal" use - yet the manufacturers are able to define misuse in these cases. I'd hazard a guess that this is why owners are winning small claims court cases (if they actually are - although I've seen it claimed here, I've not seen any official paperwork). If manufacturers said "Do not do XYZ" and they can then prove that the owner has done XYZ they'd win the cases.

If enough people go to small claims court its sets precedent. I would guess that the companies (retailers/manufacturers) will try and tighten up - advice slips in the box and the like. Until then its just a cost of business.

21. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yes, if anyone has been down the small claims route, I'd really appreciate it if you could get in touch as I'd love some advice.

22. Matson

Matson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,558
    I still find it crazy that watching a TV in a certain way can be considered "abuse" or "misuse". I mean a TV is there to be watched. There shouldn't be a limit or type of thing you shouldn't watch. Don't get me wrong I loved my OLED when I had it but I find this a huge flaw with the technology.

23. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Ultimately, it's just an excuse to stop companies being inundated with people demanding repairs or replacements (which is essentially the latter in every case, at least in terms of the panel, since you can't "fix" ones that have burn in). They're almost certainly well aware that their arguments wouldn't hold up under law, but it's more than worth them adopting this policy anyway, because most people will never take it that far and so it'll still be a massive saving to them over having to replace every panel with burn in.

Of course, you could argue that that's very short-sighted and doing massive damage to the reputation of the technology (I certainly know several people who won't even consider OLED due to burn in concerns), but companies usually tend to go with making hay while the sun shines over long-term planning. Maybe they don't even see OLED as a technology that will be around for long, with MicroLED potentially making it irrelevant in a few years, so aren't worried about it becoming poison in the long run.

24. aaronbakes73

aaronbakes73
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Wow the fact you gotta pay for an engineer is silly, I will stay away from this retailer in future.

25. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    My tv is 12 months old now and as good as the day I got it,Infact it’s better as it improved with usage and compensation cycles but I do get nervous when reading burn in issues.My E7 won’t be baby sat.I watch tv for any set amount of hours which is what it was made for.If a films 2 hours 40 mins long I don’t change channel half way through or a football match.Must admit my content is varied but never watch sky sports news.I watch lots of football which has static coloured teams and scores in the corner.
    Going to be a lot of unhappy OLED owners myself included if after two years they all suffer screen burn.

26. Rizvan

Rizvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    To add a bit of balance, Plasma screens had a similar amount of screen-burn / retention problems reported etc.
    It's a very hard problem to prove / disprove as to what the actual cause is.
    Lets say we have had 50-100 reports on OLED's suffering screen-burn / retention on this forum........ 100 OLED sets compared to the hundreds of thousands sold only equates to a small number unfortunately. :(
    I have a LG C8 65" on order and worry but I also used to worry when I bought my Plasma screen and that ended up being fine until this very day. Hopefully my OLED lasts a good while too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  27. JustinJ004

JustinJ004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah that has really put my nose out of joint, they aren't offering any kind of service at all.

Not really sure where I go from here. I have asked how much the engineer will cost and if they consider my watching TV as misuse so I'll wait to hear back and decide from there.

Edit: Added a couple of pictures I sent them. The line is at the bottom and it looks worse in the flesh.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  28. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    its painful alright. i've had my e series 2 years now and its still perfect. I had a stuck pixel one day and was freaking out but a reboot of the tv sorted it. I do wonder with richersounds 6 year warranty.. if my tv breaks down in year 6 and needs replacing.. would i get a brand new flagship of the day? Can you bring your tv to their shop and let them examine it there? The engineer is probably looking for a callout fee.. i has same rubbish with a dishwasher few years ago and just dumped it as was cheaper to buy a new one.. not the same with the oled i know. Do you always let the clear panel cycle run after you put the tv in standby? I had a sales guy tell me in currys they had a display model with bad burn in and the engineer was able to run a clear panel routine for a few hours and that sorted the issue.. (could be rubbish)

29. addyeddy

addyeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    There is no way I'd pay £1500-3000 for something that has such a potentially short shelf life, I simply would not be willing to take the risk. People must have money to burn.

30. JustinJ004

JustinJ004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I'm not sure of the warranty details with older sets but I would presume you would get one of the same value as yours was purchased for as a warranty is a promise it that a product will last with no faults for the lifetime of the warranty to my mind.

The TV is in standby every night and isn't watched much during week days unless I work from home when I have it on in the background (maybe once a week on average). I never unplug it, OLED light is 55 (higher in HDR), is never left on pause and for good measure I always switched channels around as I have only just found out the issue is caused by cumulative hours so I actually looked after it more than I had to.