1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richer Sounds/New Paradigm Sub Bargains/ Possible Explanation

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr Cheese, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    On the lookout for a sub yesterday. Went in to Richer Sounds and asked them what high end subs they had in stock. (This pre-empts the crappier ones being 'sold' to me!). Anyway I knew the Servo 15's were pretty much gone now, so I really went in to see what they had.

To my pleasant surprise they had a Paradigm PW 2200 in stock. 12" driver, 250W RMS/750W peak amp, claimed 18Hz extension. I pretty much decided I was going to buy it there and then. Mind you, it's a big bugger H50cm x W42cm x D58cm. Anyway to cut a long story short, when I went to pay, the guy put it through the computer and instead of coming up as £350, which I was willing to pay, it came up as £260!!!!:D

I asked why this was and he told me it was because the Paradigm products are so expensive for them to import, they've decided to discontinue them, hence the price reductions. Again, like the Servo 15 they are VERY unlikely ever to get anymore in so, if you want one GRAB IT WHILE YOU CAN.

Plugged the sub in yesterday WOW what a difference. It's the first time I've FELT Toy Story 2's opening sequence. This baby ain't no bass enhancer, it's a proper SUBwoofer!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think at £260 this is definately the next RS/Paradigm no-brainer!!!!!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Russraff has one of these and has been praising it's virtues for a while. £260 is below the threshold that one would normally expect to be able to buy a decent subwoofer for so it looks like this one will be the big bargain for September.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Never heard it, but as far as the prices vs the specs as you mention above....sounds like a veritable bargain...

4. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes sounds like bargain, just gotta wonder how many they actually have left in stock. so as this brand is not viable to import what brands does this means richer are left to sell[ subwoofers that is]?

5. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It's true they are limiting themselves a bit. Perhaps they sell enough Gale, Eltax, etc. to not worry about it too much. It's a very successful business and I'm guessing it's these type of decisions that keep it so.

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Brought a REL Quake yesterday. :D

Bugger, bugger, bugger!

I went into Richer Sounds on Friday in Sheffield they also had the Paradigm PW 2200 in stock I didnt buy cos I was holding out for a servo 15 (never materialized) it was £349. If I'd have known they were going for £260 I would have had one there and then. They are big buggers though (they weigh 90lb).

Hope you enjoy it after your backs stopped aching:laugh:

7. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    jack daws

Thanks for that! The guy from RS even lifted into my car for me!
    It is big, although I did have the missus with me (I HAD to ask if it was too big!). We had gone into Sevenoaks earlier and the Quake was at the top of my list at that point. The Quake is definately more discrete and had more WAF though.

The only disadvantage with the PW2200 is it only came in Black Ash, unlike the Quake, although I believe other colours are available across the pond. I was kinda hoping to get something in a beech/light oak finish to blend in with the furniture a bit more. But at that price even 'er indoors admitted it was the one to go for. :smoke: :)

8. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too expensive to import:confused:
    How about sold too cheaply? :suicide:

PS In the states Paradigm is reckoned to be one of the 'bang per buck' speaker brands, p***ing and s***ing all over most things at their price points and above. In a country where a Servo 15 retails at $1500:rolleyes:

9. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Well Mr Cheese you got one hell of a bargain. You have to let us know what its like when set up.

As far as my Quake goes it will be set up in about 4-5 weeks when I move. I went for the cherry finnish cos it's almost a match for my AE Evo3's, did cost £60 more than the black though:(

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Looks like Paradigm just don't fit into the RS business model. As far as I can tell RS now almost exclusively sell brands that Audio parterships own or clearance stock for other brands. With the odd bit of mainstream stuff to fill in holes in the product range.

Someone will pick up the disti but I hope it doesn't come with M&K style markups.
    God knows how much the Servo would cost then :eek:

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of Paradigm owners on this forum let alone the rest of the UK have taken out 5 year warranties so RS still have to deal with Paradigm for repairs/replacements. IMO RS will still sell Paradigm gear but it will be on a request basis.

12. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The cherry finish is more than just a colour...it's a dfferent wood that reinforces the sub more to produce better sound...
    Supposedly...

13. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    OOOppps, forgot to mention. The Paradigm came with a manufacturer's 3 year warranty. Normally I'm 'sold' the RS extended warranty by the salesman. This time he didn't even bother 'coz the Paradigm one was so good. He even said HE didn't think it was worth it. I know I don't get the replacement in case of repair or the 50% buy back. It's all a calculated risk, as with all warranties.

I don't know whether or not RS are an official dealership, because in the blurb it states if sold through an official dealership it has a five year warranty, else it's just three years. A bit odd I suppose......

14. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Mr Cheese, that is a fantastic buy! I think that you will be well pleased with your sub woofer. I know I had a grin plastered all over my face after I played Seven and Attack of the Clones - something the Storm 3 I had could never quite muster.

Tom Nousaine, a well respected Hifi journalist, measured both the Servo15 and the PW2200 in the same fashion. The PW2200 was capable of higher SPL's than the Servo, which surprised me! (look here half way down the page, a post from SVS's Tom Vodhanel for the full post). The Servo is still a better sub, but not by much, certainly not in step with the price difference. Not that SPLs are an indication of quality, either, but it does hint at capability and good driver design. I bought mine after reading this post and asking RS for a price. As it stands, the PW2200 is most certainly a good buy at £350, never mind £260! It is everything you could want from a sub either musically or for AV. Just make sure no small pets try to squeeze down the 5 1/2" diameter port! :eek:

Russell

15. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks, russraff.

It's posts like yours which endorses the fact I made the right decision. I must confess, I bought this sub without even listening to it. This is something I very rarely do before buying any hi-fi/AV gear. I guess sometimes an impulse buy pays off. Especially when bargains appear....

16. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

At 260/399 pounds for the pw2200/servo15...there should be very little discussion of other subwoofers to look at imo. Those are two very good performers at exceptional prices. I would grab them up as quickly as possible if anyone is in the market.

I scanned thru the Nousaine list I posted in the link thread and something that might not be clear at casual glance...the 25-63hz AVG can be easily boosted a couple of dBs if the manufacturer decides to trade off the <25hz performance. The new cht15 numbers are a good example. The 25-63hz average went up a couple dBs...but the new model is no longer capable of clean output at 20hz(where the older version did a respectable 82dB/20hz in the same test).

Tom V.
    SVS

17. DeuxChevaux

DeuxChevaux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I called RS customer services on Friday about a Servo 15 (in vain) and was told that Paradigm had gone into receivership (or Canada's equivalent). That meant no more Paradigm at RS once the current stock has gone.

Want to stress that I can't find any independent confirmation of this, but another poster here has mentioned it, I think.

Not sure how this might affect any warranty if it is true

18. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    RS personnel are, though not exclusively, not especially well clued up on non RS branded equipment. I was once told that Paradigm was being bought out a couple of years back and "wouldn't I rather have a Gale sub instead?". Also remember a year back when it was said RS had lost the Paradigm distribution deal? I would take the receivership information with a pinch of salt.

Russell

19. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    what is the price of the ps1200 and whats it like compared to the 2200

20. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The PS1200 were £300, but the one I heard wasn't any better than the PS1000. They both shared the same characteristics as each other, save the PS1200 could go louder. Personally, I think the PW2200 is a far better sub.

Russell

21. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to RS is Sheffield today to ask about the PW2200. They had one on display which was marked at 350.00.
    I asked about the price reduction and they knew nothing about it, they even put the sub through as a sale and it still showed 350.00.
    I told them about Mr.Cheese and all they could suggest was that he had been incorrectly charged.

Anyway, despite being a little disappointed, I still bought the sub as they offered me a 50.00 discount due to some scratches on the top and I desperately need a subwoofer.

Which branch charged you 260.00 Mr Cheese?

22. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It was the Guildford branch. This seems pretty typical of RS. Given that the guy only found out about the new price when he logged in to his system, it sounds pretty obvious that they don't have a centralised computer system.

23. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    They do have a centralised computer system. It's just centralised in lots of different places!

Russell

24. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Clancol a few threads down seems to have reserved one at £260, it's worth asking him where he ordered his, I suppose. Safety in numbers and all that.

Don't forget Buns has the same problem with the price he was charged for the Servo 15. He got the difference back. It's definately worth pursuing. Let's face it you COULD end up paying £260 AND keep the £50 off as well. Now there's a thought!!!;)

25. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, RS customer service say it is 350.00, as did Sheffield, Leeds and Nottingham.
    I spoke to Guildford and the manager said he was away last week and the assistant may have knocked the money off as a one off. To get rid of a large box and make space he said:rolleyes: .
    This does not tally with your post, as you said the assistant was surprised to find the price via the computer. That would maybe suggest maybe he charged you for the wrong product.

I have PM'd clancol to ask which branch he reserved his at. For the time being its rather confusing.

26. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It's all rather confusing. He knew it was the right price/product because he actually said it WAS £350 (as listed in the pricing brochure), now reduced to £260. After all he did talk about RS discontinuing the product as per my original post. As I said I was prepared to pay the full price. He offered the reduced price only AFTER looking at the computer system!:confused:

27. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Ah good old RS :)

28. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Servo-15s thirty bob-anyone?:laugh:

29. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have plugged it in and stuck it in the corner. I havent done any fine tuning yet as I havent much of a clue how to:confused:

The sound was very boomy at first, so I turned some knobs one way and some other knobs the other way and it sounds a little better.

Can anyone else who has one of these offer any tips?

30. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Dougie, sorry if this sounds patronising, but below is some thoughts on your subwoofer setup.

Do NOT stick the PW2200 in a corner. Pull it out and have it against a side wall if possible. I have the port firing backwards, slightly angled against a wall. Make sure that your amp is set to a subwoofer crossover of 80Hz. Anything above this will tend to allow to high a frequency to the sub lending a boomy character (I am assuming that you have all speakers set to "small" and sub to "on"). Also, the volume control is very sensitive, I have it set less than 1/4 of the way round and it is plenty loud enough! The phase knob is continuously variable so it would be best if a friend could slowly change this, and the volume knob, as you listen to get the right balance. After finding an acceptable site for the sub, I tend to let the amp/processor do the filtering (so the cut-off frequency on the sub should be set to max, or 120Hz). Get someone to change the volume so that I can hear the sub working above the level of the other speakers. I then change the phase control until I get the strongest, none boomy bass response. The volume is then turned down until the bass level matches that of the other speakers (you can try to use an SPL meter for this, but I have found them quite poor at matching subwoofer levels).

Russell