Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Richer Sounds multi region players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bishman, Apr 23, 2003.

1. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Does anyone know if players that have been multi region modded by Richer sounds play RCE discs without any problems? I am looking for a sub £150 player for the bedroom that will play all region discs without fuss, any suggestions?

Thanks

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yup most of them do. But it depends on which one your after?

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Wasn't sure that's why I asked for some suggestions, anything you would recommend? Pioneer is a no go as I have been reading of problems when displaying RGB on the Sony TV that I have.

Was considering maybe the Toshiba 220e but am open to suggestion.

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The tosh is about the best budget player going. Strugles with rce though, so I have heard.

Its hard to suggest something else in the price range when the tosh 220 and pioneer 350 are so good for the money.

I just picked up a limit 9900se for £149 and am very happy with it. Plays everything. But I seem to be in the minority of people who like it.

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also positive about the Limit 9900SE. However I have never used it using the RGB output, only component progressive scan, so I can't really comment.

I would definitely give it a go, as it is very much an install and forget about it player. Just leave it to auto and of you go. Just make certain you don't get one that has been returned by someone else. It seems that a bit of restocking is going on.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,715
    I got quite a few opened and used items from Richer and internet based stores, so it does seem pretty rife unfortunately, and I'm not talking about where they tajke it out to make it multi-region - the last Tosh 520 I got didn't have the power lead or remote batteries in the box.

The serial number on the player didn't match up with the one on the side of the box either. I'm pretty sure I got the same faulty player back that I'd returned two weeks earlier...

Gary.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I just bought a Cambridge 55 from richers, 1st impressions quite good via s-video,(on projector) It does progressive rgb and component it seems, though only claims YUV prog. £150 is good value for that, but my PJ doesn't do pal progressive, I'll bring a panny plasma home from work one day and try it all out.

Bought quite a few things from Richer over the years, had no trouble myself, but stories abound. Beats me why people buy plasma from them, too much money to risk for me.

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,715
    I had the 57 for a few days which can also play DVD-A - I assume it's the same machine more or less, but it had major issues with its progressive output:

NTSC progressive had trouble with high contrast images such as some explosions and the needle pulse test in Avia, so I couldn't calibrate it probably for white and black levels. The image distorts quite badly and is unwatchable.

PAL progressive had very faint vertical lines, so it was like watching through a net curtain.

The only progressive player I saw that didn't have issues with PAL progressive was the Limit.

Best image I saw was from the Toshiba SD520E, though this only does NTSC pro-scan.

Gary.

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Well, I ended up buying the Toshiba 220e for £99.95 on the understanding that it would play all available discs at this time. I have tried a few and not come accross any problems, so hopefully all is well. Very happy with the performance running on the 28" widescreen it is to be partnered with.

Thanks for everyones feedback.