1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richer Sounds misleading me :S

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by tim k, Dec 7, 2004.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As my previous posts stated I was ready to buy the toshiba 42" panel from RS this week, after being told and showed on monday the connections on the back offering component, s video and vga, went to the store today to purchase, major problem. The model on demo i was told was the 27 not 37, and this had a different board connected. The panel i was offered only had a vga input. NOOOOOOO!!!

So as you can imagine i was really upset as my tight budget can not allow me to fork out for rgb - vga converters & the wall bracket and leads. I rand RS customer service and although a small apology for being told incorrect information they told me there was nothing they could do as this plasma was only sold as a board, with no tv style connections. Im stumped, and as A V sales who i just spoke to have sold out of pd6's i really dont have any other options.

HELP!

2. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After calming down i've realised it would be worthwhile to up my budget, stick with the vga only tosh 42" from RS and invest in the js tech rgb to vga converter and a nice bracket. I suppose in a way ill have a better setup so maybe its not such a bad thing.

still not good on RS part, i suppose the way they see it is that 1 member of staff's misleading info cannot affect their already low profit margin.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    To be honest, by the time you've added delivery charges from RS (plasmas are big and heavy, and the packaging bulks it up), you might just as well go for a Pannie from one of the many suppliers that do them, and have the freedom to get the input board you want. Richer Sounds are OK for manufacturer's "end of lines" but I'm afraid that I would not buy a plasma from them.

4. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RS is 2 mins drive as i live in b'ham city center, its a toss up between toshiba 42" running with js tech rgb to vga connector to hook up sky/dvd/xbox, or to go for panny 6 running into scart.

5. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Has anyone had the opportunity to see the Panasonic 6 series and the Toshiba side by side? 'Someone' :rolleyes: informed me that there was/maybe is a difference between the screen images even though they are from the same source! Anyone care to dispell the rumour/myth or :eek: confirm it!

N.B. There is a disclaimer on the RS website indicating that they only stock UK sourced screens. :lesson:

regards FRANC

7. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The 42wp27 appears to be based on the 5 series panasonic screen. Its contrast is 3,000-1 which would indicate so, compared with 4,000-1 on the 42wp37. Not 100% sure. Tough call though....

"It is a pickle, no doubt about it."

regards FRANC

8. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah done a search on the 27 and although places on the net are still shifting it at well over 2.5 grand i dont see the point in downgrading the contrast ratio just to save 100 quid or so.

Just spoken to a very nice chap at JS tech who seems to be working quite late!! he's set my mind at rest telling me the toshiba 37 will work fine with their converter, so ill be ordering tomo, :smoke:

all i have to worry about now is the anxious state ill be in with my screen that ill by from RS sitting in my front room for a whole 24 hours without being able to be used. might give me a chance to mount it on the wall!

9. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I dunno if I am speaking out of terms, but perhaps before you mount it is it worth testing?

Do you know anyone with a laptop? you could plug that in for a quick test if it has a VGA input?

Just in case ...

Tone