Richer Sounds have let me down, I need recommendations fast !!

F

foxmeister

Yes, as expected ordered the bargain of the century ( Toshiba 42" Plasma ) 3 weeks ago, after several phone calls and promises of delivery dates 1 and 2 weeks ago I was finally promised it would be at the Hull branch for today .. it wasn't !!
I received a phone call an hour ago to say it would be another few weeks, I've cancelled the order and asked for my 10% deposit back.
I now need ideas on where to get a decent 42" Plasma for around 3k and fast, so they need to have them in stock.
I would prefer the Toshiba or Panasonic but the Fujitsu PDS-4214E has taken my eye, only £2800, anybody know anything about this model as I'm struggling to find a review, does it have an internal fan ??
All your comments will be appreciated as I am hoping to order this time tomorrow ...... cheers, Foxy .

Foxy

Try Joe at the Media Factory I purchased a Panny plasma from them a couple of months ago first class service and delivered when they said they would.

According to their website www.tmfsolutions.co.uk they still have some series 4 models for about £3500 a bit more expensive but good service assured.

Regards
Toonarmy

try phoning www.nexnix.co.uk not sure what the stock situation is though
just notice the banner at the top of the forum here for av sales they are saying£3274.00 for the new panny

All the Fujitsu's have internal fans. The 4214 is a decent enough screen but is an old model. I've got the 4229 which I'm extremely happy with. This has also recently been replaced by newer models but you can still pick them up for song. Try Sevenoaks, they used to sell them and still may have some left. The newer models from the 4229 onwards use the new AVM (Advanced Video Motion) and also have quieter fans than the likes of the 4214. These screens don't have the picture processing prowess of the Panny's and Pioneer so you need to give them a decent source. With a good signal however in my view they're a good match for any screen that Ive seen. But if you can pick up a series 4 Panny for circa £3-3.5K then its a bit of a "no brainer". Happy shopping

try sound and vision at farnworth ant tell them what u want to pay ask for george. 01204 861861

That's a bit of a bummer sorry to hear about your problem's i ordered my toshiba 42pw16 from Richer 4 week's ago and it took them four day's to deliver i was impressed.

I walked in my local Richer Sounds last week and took one away with me.

It was sat in its box in the AV Demo room.

Another employee from Richer Sounds?

If you ring them now, how long do they say you have to wait?

It sounds all too familiar. I'm currently in week 3 of my wait for the Tosh from Richer Sounds. The web site did say it could take up to 21 days (although the e-mail response claimed 7 days) so I'll give them until then.

If I have no joy by Friday then I'll be looking elsewhere also. Let us know where you eventually source one from.

Bit of a shame really, most people seem to have posted positive experiences with Richer Sounds in general.

It sounds all too familiar. I'm currently in week 3 of my wait for the Tosh from Richer Sounds. The web site did say it could take up to 21 days (although the e-mail response claimed 7 days) so I'll give them until then.

If I have no joy by Friday then I'll be looking elsewhere also. Let us know where you eventually source one from.

Bit of a shame really, most people seem to have posted positive experiences with Richer Sounds in general.

Well, I *am* an employee of Richer Sounds, and I can tell you all that there is another delivery of Toshiba plasmas (the new model) arriving tomorrow. However, there are only 20pcs coming in, so I'd suggest that those of you who want one should call your local store and get them to call the warehouse tomorrow to reserve one on your behalf.

FYI, we have sold over 250pcs of Toshibas over the last few weeks, but the demand has caught both us and our suppliers by surprise, hence the short-term stock problems. We now have confirmed orders in for over 2000pcs of various plasma models, therefore supply should improve dramatically over the coming days/weeks.

Hope that this is of some help.

"and I can tell you all that there is another delivery of Toshiba plasmas (the new model) arriving tomorrow....."

Not the 42WP16? Panny 5B version?

What is the price of this?

You say you have "SOLD" 250 Toshibas in the last few weeks. Does that mean that you have taken orders for that many? If so - I don't suppose there's much chance of getting one of the 20.

If you are the Director Of Purchasing, should you not have a more accurate idea as to when the Pre-orders will be delivered?(presumably you're making just a little interest on all this deposit money that's sat in your account). Do you think it is acceptable to be told "in a couple of weeks" and after waiting, be told you will have to wait another couple of weeks (maybe).

Elmbeck,

When I say "sold", I mean "left the warehouse, hanging on someone's wall, showing Spiderman".

We should be getting about 20pcs a week of the Toshiba, so it's worth a call.

I have as good an idea of when stock is coming in as our suppliers tell me, and no more.

I don't think that holding large amounts of customers' money on deposit is good practice, and we have not encouraged our stores to do this. We are currently working on a new system for plasma allocation, which will involve customers placing a small refundable deposit (like £100) in order to secure a place on the waiting list. This list will be held centrally, and all stock will be allocated strictly according to when the deposit was placed. However, I don't envisage needing this for much longer, as stock becomes much more freely available.

Hope this will allay your fears that buying a plasma is like buying a three piece suite.

Cheers,
Nick

Now.......
Should I have held out for a week and got the PW5 version?

Has anyone really compared the two tosh/panny models?
and seen any improvement on the latter?

Apart from the tuner compatibility issue etc.

nhalliday,

Not wanting to flog a dead horse....... but..... if you don't know when your suppliers will be sending you the Plasmas, why do you tell people a delivery date based on a guess. Why not tell people up front that you don't know when they will be arriving?

Plus, you mention people watching "Spiderman". Unless you're talking about the animated Arachnid, could you tell me where these people got their copy from? I thought it wasn't to be released until 1/11/02 in America and 25/11/02 in Britain.

Originally posted by elmbeck
if you don't know when your suppliers will be sending you the Plasmas, why do you tell people a delivery date based on a guess. Why not tell people up front that you don't know when they will be arriving?.

Surely trying to assist and giving a good-faith indication based on available information is better than replying 'Dunno'.

Plus, you mention people watching "Spiderman". Unless you're talking about the animated Arachnid, could you tell me where these people got their copy from? I thought it wasn't to be released until 1/11/02 in America and 25/11/02 in Britain.

If you actually read the 'Now Shipping' area of these forums you would see that at the date of nhalliday's reference to 'Spiderman' at least 2 well known suppliers had begun shipping this title and at least 3 forum members were in possession of an original copy of the DVD.

Street release dates often mean very little where online DVD retailers are concerned.

I don't know nhalliday and I'm no real fan of Richer Sounds plc but why so hostile to a guy who appears to be fairly genuine? I feel it's a shame when people in the industry who can potentially contribute information unknown to Joe Public are hounded and in fact driven from these forums.

Originally posted by juboy

I don't know nhalliday and I'm no real fan of Richer Sounds plc but why so hostile to a guy who appears to be fairly genuine? I feel it's a shame when people in the industry who can potentially contribute information unknown to Joe Public are hounded and in fact driven from these forums.

I agree with you, and elmbeck if you don't like Richer Sounds then, fine, go elsewhere, but please let this Forum know of any other company that you feel so damn hostile against. :rolleyes:

Boink!

That's fine - you have a go at me then!

Have you ever thought that the only reason these people are on this Forum is to sell their companys products and make their company look good?

I'm sure that Richer Sounds are no worse than most companies who seem to be doing the same thing (i.e. selling stuff that they just don't have).

Is it my fault that the only person involved in this Thread "in the industry" is from RS?

Perhaps, what I was attempting to do was flag the point that "Honesty is the best policy". I personally would rather be told "DUNNO" than "Yes - it will be with you within 2 weeks... and then another 2 weeks etc."

Have you ever thought that the only reason these people are on this Forum is to sell their companys products and make their company look good?

Well, I do figure he's not here to reduce sales and show his employer in a bad light...

Is it my fault that the only person involved in this Thread "in the industry" is from RS?

The thread is ABOUT Richer Sounds! Of course the guy's going to respond and from my third party angle reading this thread, he was TRYING to help people.

I personally would rather be told "DUNNO" than "Yes - it will be with you within 2 weeks... and then another 2 weeks etc."

But if he's relying on given information which then turns out to be incorrect, should you not be blaming the supplier rather than the retailer?

A lot of people tend to judge companies not on their performance when things go right, but on what they do to put things right once they've gone wrong. From what I've seen on this thread, nhalliday has been up front, honest and helpful. He could have just read the initial posts, thought 'So what' and done nothing, but he didn't. That, to my mind, deserves some credit.

Whatever....... you have your opinion as to why people get paid to monitor these forums, and I'll have mine.

Thanks for the tip about the DVD "What's shipping" area - I'd not come accross this before (just trusting dates given by Suppliers)

That's fine - you have a go at me then!

I'm not having a go at you youngfellowmeladskip, it's good to point out an av companies failings. Hopefully these smallish traders will remedy their shortcomings [but, in the real world, who knows].

Boink!

Thanks for the tip about the DVD "What's shipping" area - I'd not come accross this before (just trusting dates given by Suppliers)

May have been better if you'd said you 'Dunno' when Spiderman was coming out then :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom