Richer Sounds - Does Anybody "Add selected to basket"?

vacant

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies I'm a bit bored. Idling away the afternoon, I was on Richer Sounds website and randomly clicked on the Pioneer PD-50AE SACD Player (£1,799).

Apparently other customers also bought a Marantz Amplifier (£2,899), Q Acoustics M20 Active Speakers (£399) and some Cambridge Audio Banana Plugs (£9.99).

The page had helpfully check-boxed these four items for me so a single click would "Add selected to basket" for £5,106.99 - saving £200. Immediate thoughts (a) I wouldn't split an amplifier/speaker budget 87%/13% and (b) these are active speakers, why would I want a £3K amp?

Questions:
  • Is this the work of evil robot AI, or an in-joke between staff trying to come up with the most unsuitable combinations?
  • Have you ever been shopping online (RS or anywhere) and thought "my, thanks for the suggestions, I'll spend three times as much as I intended and buy the lot"?

Last edited:
Richer Sounds in the title would have been prudent.
I had a similar situation with Crutchfield, when you add anything to your cart that has other components they'll ask if you want to get those additional items.

In their case, the suggestions seem to be correct.
I'm about to head up there soon to get new tweeters, it seems I blew one in the panel of my passenger's side door.

Richer Sounds in the title would have been prudent.

Done, though I was thinking about any web sites that add multiple suggestions for your basket.

Here in the U.S., Best Buy will have bundles, even small things like a Siri Remote, it'll come with a skin for it & subscriptions to streaming services.

Satellite speakers for sound systems get dropped into the suggestions:

1647443650637.png

Please don't criticized the choice here, I just grabbed the first Samsung soundbar.

I ignore suggested items most of the time. Maybe Richersounds customers also bought the m20 speaker for another room.

Apologies I'm a bit bored. Idling away the afternoon, I was on Richer Sounds website and randomly clicked on the Pioneer PD-50AE SACD Player (£1,799).

Apparently other customers also bought a Marantz Amplifier (£2,899), Q Acoustics M20 Active Speakers (£399) and some Cambridge Audio Banana Plugs (£9.99).

The page had helpfully check-boxed these four items for me so a single click would "Add selected to basket" for £5,106.99 - saving £200. Immediate thoughts (a) I wouldn't split an amplifier/speaker budget 87%/13% and (b) these are active speakers, why would I want a £3K amp?

Questions:
  • Is this the work of evil robot AI, or an in-joke between staff trying to come up with the most unsuitable combinations?
  • Have you ever been shopping online (RS or anywhere) and thought "my, thanks for the suggestions, I'll spend three times as much as I intended and buy the lot"?
Amazon has been doing exactly this for years: often the combination of items it suggests are poorly matched.

It seems when I order hand tools for click and collect at B&Q, I also need a garden gnome and LED light bulb.

Amazon has been doing exactly this for years: often the combination of items it suggests are poorly matched.
I guess it's just evil AI then. We're all doomed when AWS becomes self-aware.:(

I've seen this many times and do sometimes wonder if someone somewhere is messing about. I was ordering some sort of evil gardening tool, I don't recall what but axe/hatchet, loppers or something similar and it suggested I also bought some child's plasters! Made me wonder what they thought I had in mind.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom