Richer Sounds dissapointed OLED Burn-In handling

teh0wner

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I purchased my 65" OLED C7V back in January 2018. I have since been VERY careful with it, knowing the well-document issues with OLED and burn-in. I have NEVER left a static image on for more than a couple of minutes and always made sure if there are static parts on a channel (i.e. logo, sports ticker, etc.) to switch the image around every now and again. Even with all the measures I have taken to prevent OLED burn-in, over the past few months my TV has gotten worse and worse, with clear signs of burn-in.

I have contacted @Richer Sounds to see what can be done to fix this, however, they have just 'passed me onto' LG, as I 'never signed up' for their 6 year extended warranty. Note, I purchased this TV in-store, however, was NOT in-stock, and waiting many weeks for it to be delivered at home. Apparently I was supposed to post back a filled in form to claim this extended warranty, which I never received. I contacted LG, which offered me a panel replacement service for 250GBP, which I'd need to pay myself. In addition, they'd need to take away the TV for 2+ weeks, which in light of the pandemic is a huge blow, as the only form of entertainment these days is a TV. LG did not offer a loan TV either.

I'd like your opinion on how to proceed with this - I purchased my TV from @Richer Sounds hearing so many great things about them, but when push comes to shove, I've not had the same experience. If I knew I'd be buying a TV that lasted for just 3 years and have this customer service experience, I'd probably go elsewhere.

Thanks

In all fairness £250 is good for a new panel.Richersounds should have got it done for nothing in my opinion.I had a new panel in my E7 under warranty and it went smoothly.Took 5 days to sort it and new panel is great .

Hello everyone,

I purchased my 65" OLED C7V back in January 2018. I have since been VERY careful with it, knowing the well-document issues with OLED and burn-in. I have NEVER left a static image on for more than a couple of minutes and always made sure if there are static parts on a channel (i.e. logo, sports ticker, etc.) to switch the image around every now and again. Even with all the measures I have taken to prevent OLED burn-in, over the past few months my TV has gotten worse and worse, with clear signs of burn-in.

I have contacted @Richer Sounds to see what can be done to fix this, however, they have just 'passed me onto' LG, as I 'never signed up' for their 6 year extended warranty. Note, I purchased this TV in-store, however, was NOT in-stock, and waiting many weeks for it to be delivered at home. Apparently I was supposed to post back a filled in form to claim this extended warranty, which I never received. I contacted LG, which offered me a panel replacement service for 250GBP, which I'd need to pay myself. In addition, they'd need to take away the TV for 2+ weeks, which in light of the pandemic is a huge blow, as the only form of entertainment these days is a TV. LG did not offer a loan TV either.

I'd like your opinion on how to proceed with this - I purchased my TV from @Richer Sounds hearing so many great things about them, but when push comes to shove, I've not had the same experience. If I knew I'd be buying a TV that lasted for just 3 years and have this customer service experience, I'd probably go elsewhere.

Thanks
Gutted for you I've had oleds since the start and 3 years seams to be the time issues arise not to mention vertical banding don't get me started ive had my c9 panel replaced due to this and a b8 panel

Pretty poor of RS to just pass the buck without real support.

An oled should last longer then 3 years really, id let RS know the outcome and remind them under the consumer laws your TV was not fit for its intended purpose or as satisfactory goods and they should pay for the £250 to repair it.

See how that goes its a long shot though, if not its not a bad price to pay imo OLEDS are still much better then most TVs on the market even the old ones so its well worth getting it repaired imo for 250.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

I was obviously sorry to read your thread and offer my apologies.

So that I may investigate and see what we can do to help resolve this, I've dropped you a PM requesting more details.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

Richer sounds have been great with my tv it’s still at LG though but richer sounds gave me a loan set and paid for the panel replacement just waiting for the LG b6 to come home.

A customer service rep contacted me privately and we've dicussed potential options. Happy they have been responsive.

They appear to get it right much more often than they get it wrong, which is the important thing.

Very impressed with Richer sounds service and agree on not everyone gets it right but so far they at least care for their customers. Having been a loyal customer for over 25 years I hope they keep it up.

I wish however Richer sounds offered customers a proper burn proof insurance/cover like John Lewis have, it just simplifies and prevents these type of headache inducing issue with OLEDs which feels has been problematic for what feels 10 years. Not sure we can trust LG or manufacturers to completely have fixed the issue either, especially if 2018 OLEDs are still getting it.

Still John Lewis, Currys, LG, Sony and retailers and other manufacturers should take note on this but they appear to be not around on the UKs biggest AV community (avforums) where a great deal of people are looking for support and advice.

I wish however Richer sounds offered customers a proper burn proof insurance/cover like John Lewis have, it just simplifies and prevents these type of headache inducing issue with OLEDs which feels has been problematic for what feels 10 years.
Exactly this, I would happily pay extra for this and buy it from Richer Sounds but alas I am stuck buying from John Lewis until this is offered.

Exactly this, I would happily pay extra for this and buy it from Richer Sounds but alas I am stuck buying from John Lewis until this is offered.

Same, sadly it looks like my next OLED will probably be forced to go JL again due to burn in protection.

Id much rather Richer sounds gets my money but if they can't offer that peace of mind support, JL get it.

If this is still happening , is OLED not a failed technology , sold on hype and hope .....

According to general talk LGs anti burn in tech should solve burn in issues probably since 2018ish or more so 2019-2020 OLED panels.

According to general talk LGs anti burn in tech should solve burn in issues probably since 2018ish or more so 2019-2020 OLED panels.
Most people come to their conclusion about the severity of OLED Burn In based on these factors.

1. Testing done by rtings.com on 2017 OLED TVs,
  2. The dialog that was started in 2015 and continues until this day about "experts" either saying it is a problem or that it isn't a problem.
  3. Reports' of 2017 and older TVs experiencing burn in?
  4. Personally experienced burn in on a 2017 or older OLED
  5. The lack of reports of 2018 and newer OLEDs experiencing burn. This includes all manufactures of OLED TVs. All of the manufacturers use OLED supplied panels.
  6. Assumption that the manufacturing quality improved to a six sigma level. No more panel lottery. This is based on the fact that LG has reported to rtings.com that they had manufacturing quality issues in 2017 and the reports of burn in became practically became non existant in 2018.
  7. All of these manufacturers use different software but the same hardware, LG supplied OLED panels. Because there are practically zero reports of OLED Burn In for all manufacturers using 2018 and newer OLED supplied panels it may have more to do with the hardware than software.
  8. Engineering (pixel size -aperture ratio},
  9. Different isotopes and additives for pixel material
  10. Software improvements.
    '
    Image retention and permanent burn in is certainly possible, but becoming highly improbable?
    When you look the at the actual reports of burn in on 2018 and newer OLED's they are slim to none. I suppose if you put your OLED TV in a 115 degree room with the brightness maxed out it would be possible, so I agree with your statement it is certainly possible, but highly improbable.

Last edited:
A customer service rep contacted me privately and we've dicussed potential options. Happy they have been responsive.
What came of this in the end?

I use RS mainly and would be good to know they are not just fobbing people off. Otherwise might as well go JL.

I assumed your receipt for purchase of the TV was your guarantee is that not right?

If this is still happening , is OLED not a failed technology , sold on hype and hope .....
I bought the admittedly expensive Loewe Bild 7.55 back in October 2016 and even with an LG panel it remains in perfect condition. Not failed for me.

Very surprised with this.
Richersounds with whom I know very well on many levels, normally go out of their way for customer service and have whole heartedly supported me over many years.

I had a burn in issue and Richer Sounds were very fair, an engineer came and replaced the screen within a week. I am very surprised.

hi folks - dublin based so bought from Richersounds ireland (belfast) I have a 2017 LG e55 series oled. Recently noticed bottom right has some screen burn from Netflix logo. It only appears when there is red background on tv - which doesn't happen very often. I posted a question to richersounds on an ireland forum they post on to see if their warranty covers burn in and i got a blank no it doesnt.. which is fair enough as its mentioned in the terms and conditions. I suppose im curious what my options are. I had the screen professionally calibrated back in 2017 and love the picture on it. If i did get a 'fix' i assume its a new tv as it wouldn't be economically feasible to replace the panel? What about the cost of calibration? Would a replacement match the flagship status my screen had at the time - what would the equivalent to the E series be now?

Thanks,
Mick

hi folks - dublin based so bought from Richersounds ireland (belfast) I have a 2017 LG e55 series oled. Recently noticed bottom right has some screen burn from Netflix logo. It only appears when there is red background on tv - which doesn't happen very often. I posted a question to richersounds on an ireland forum they post on to see if their warranty covers burn in and i got a blank no it doesnt.. which is fair enough as its mentioned in the terms and conditions. I suppose im curious what my options are. I had the screen professionally calibrated back in 2017 and love the picture on it. If i did get a 'fix' i assume its a new tv as it wouldn't be economically feasible to replace the panel? What about the cost of calibration? Would a replacement match the flagship status my screen had at the time - what would the equivalent to the E series be now?

Thanks,
Mick

As you say its not actually covered but you can still start a conversation with richer sounds here: Richer Sounds

Let them know you are unhappy with your purchase, they maybe able to still help you out or further advise. Alternative you can Contact LG directly for a panel replacement service which I believe cost about £250.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom