1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richer Sounds Deliveries ?????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cucuz, Dec 7, 2004.

1. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just a note of caution to anyone buying a plasma from Richer Sounds . Today I have for the second time in a fortnight seen a delivery of plasmas to to one of their stores ...... 6 PLASMAS LAYED FLAT ON EACH PALLET ! Now call me Mr Picky but this doesn't seem quite right, does it ? :nono:

2. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm.. maybe the laying flat (at least before the first use) thing is just a roumor? can anyone confirm for sure?

3. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    There is nothing wrong with it lying flat. It is just that the plasma is strongest in a vertical position. On its belly it won't take much pressure to crack the glass. Therefore to minimise the risk of breakage, it should be transported vertically. I know of no issue referring to first use, or having to wait before switching it on (like a new refrigerator)

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer worry about it enough to put a sensor on the side of their plasma boxes to make you aware if it has been tilted!!

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

Laying a Plasma flat whilst its being transported in a van or similar is not a smart move.

Take any large piece of flat glass and bounce it around in a van and it'll flex - now put a load of electronics within a mm or two of the plate of glass and see what happens when the glass 'bottoms' out on the electronics.

Plasma work fine after they have been laid flat - in fact we've used some in a horizontal orientation on exhibition stands and the like (you do have to provide additional ventilation though).

Very early c1998 Fujitsi panels suffered some strange effects after they had been transported - especially so if they got very cold; and these panels did require a bit of 'standing' time.

I've never seen this phenomenon on any other Display since then.

Best regards

Joe

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    So the problem is purely physical. IE Richer's problem. They might get 6 broken plasmas out of it, or they might all be fine. It's a very sad sight, they break like a car window, and it all sits in a horrid pile behind the plastic front screen.

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Good job I acquired a spare screen for my 434!