1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richer Sounds Delight

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by swellmel, Mar 5, 2005.

1. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    went into rs today to buy 37in pw7 was nicely suprised how many plasmas they had set up and working after observing all of them i then noticed a little side room with lcd screens on display but right in the middle was the hitachi 32pd5200 pro wow what a picture it also had built in tv tuner and a host of other connections including dvi,i asked the salesman how much it was he said he would go check the web price and offer me a good deal,imagine when he came back with his calculator tapped something stared at it and proclaimed
    "yep you can have it for £1150 one brand new boxed in the back" i took a step back and in a flash slapped my plastic in his hand and said "oh its not what i expected but as i am new to plasma screen go on ill take it i cant be bothered to shop around and save a few quid-laughing to myself inside, five minutes later i was out the door the hitachi was in my car my foot hit the gas and i left them trailing in a cloud of diesel,is that a good buy or what,many thanks rs for making my day and to the salesman hasta la vista baby!

2. ButtonUPS

ButtonUPS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what branch of rs?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A decision you may soon regret but never mind.....

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    any store can make one look better then another just with the connection. the pw7 being a monitor not a "tv" needs special attentio to this and when setup correctly there isnt anything that can match pq.

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Swellmel - so how's it working out - Happy with PQ?

6. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    HD why may he soon regret his decision, ??

on a diff note, I went into my local RS yesterday, and they are in the process of sticking cards on the LCDs/Plasma's etc stating "NOT HD READY" etc, they were busy, but they are getting round to it, nice to see stores informing customers, at the end of the day, not everyone wants Hi-Def and wants a bargain TV, I know people slate RS etc for diff reasons, but I deal with em because normally I know what I am after etc, so they being local, normally cheaper etc and offer good warranty price.

Taz

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well 5" smaller and ALIS lower contrast etc etc etc I am not saying they wont be happy but the number one rule when shopping at RS is buy what you went for!

8. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    yeah I agree with you there, normally people who shop there know what they want like I say, I forgot about the Hitachi being 1024x852 ALIS panel, which is not hi-def ready as far as I know.

Taz

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  10. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PQ is excellent,i only wanted it for the bedroom and i know the way i have it set up is going to make people say what a waste but because i did not want boxes all over the place it runs from an ariel feed from the booster in the loft

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  12. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always read your comments with admiration as you seem to know what you are talking about and i value your opinion have i then made the wrong decision,i would be grateful for your knowledgable reply

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think as it is for a bedroom where simplicity and looks are more important the tuner (with analogue) and speakers make it a lot simpler probably could have got the panny 37" for £999 and a tuner from classifieds for the same money but short a pair of speakers (panny optionals are not cheap or worth the money) so for the use i think the Hitachi was the correct decision.......but what do you have in the lounge???

14. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the lounge i have a 42inch pw6 which i bought from nexnix some 14 months ago it is superb,i had decided on the pw7 but the thought of additional boxes (dvd -freeview-etc) made me change my mind when i saw the hitachi,i have it up and running and pq is excellent considering i have only connected an aeriel feed from the booster in the loft but this also feeds the dvd-freeview and kiss divx player from downstairs so plays on the hitachi as well.

15. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips 37PF9946 is the ultimate bargain bedroom TV, at just £1100 from the lovely Mr. Richer, hehe.

Swap your hitachi while you can!

And don't worry, either all my DVD players and digiboxes are faulty, or Analogue TV is the best signal you can feed any set. :D

16. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did see the philips and on playing dvd looked good but i did a bit of digging this morning on that model and most reviews i read said sport looked very poor this was on 6/7 reviews i read be interested in your opinion

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    one thing to note is that the ALis panels are ideal for bright environments so ideal for watching saturday/sunday moring telly with lots of abient light not so good for a film at night.........the 32" Sharp GA5E is closest in terms of price and size so as long as you prefer the hitachi to that it is ideal........ must look awsome in the bedroom tho....very jealous.!!!!

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and at least 3 forum members have returned them and had pannys as the philips isnt up to par............I'd take the hitachi over the philips!

19. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well this is a long story but started with 42 in lg rx11 which went faulty-wife went barmy-i went to get a refund-currys took two weeks-her in doors went barmy-i started laughing,but she seems happy now

20. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you do know your stuff when i rang rs this morning they mentioned that model i did a bit of digging and in 6 out of 7 reviews people said watching sport on it was terrible,so ruled it out but reviews did say dvds play well which is right as in shop it looked good

21. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I haven't quite kitted out all the bedrooms yet!

I don't own the 37PF9946, but I do have the 42PF9946 and its excellent - football is identical to the Panasonic Viera, which my sister has. The only time I've seen sport look excellent on a plasma is on Panasonic's high-definition panels anyway.

If theres no problem to your eyes with fast motion or sports on DVDs, then I can guarantee the tuner won't suffer either...but best make sure - if you know a standard Currys or with a half-decent aerial feed (or if RS had one), then pop in when some footie is on, maybe?

22. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why do rs let you exchange the product if not happy or changed your mind,as anyone experience of this?

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    loads, search for the aformentioned philips loads returned for the panny PW7 or PWD6 so chances are you will go full circle for a panny with much hassle or keep the hitachi and be happy!

24. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh no im keeping the hitachi,pq is excellent however did notice slight graininess does anyone know best settings etc

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    dont use RF!

26. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bear in mind that hornydragon probably has never seen this particular Philips model and is just basing it on things he remembers seeing with Philips stamped on the front. He can tell you though.

your call at the end of day, all the more stock for me to snap up :D
    was just a recommendation, thats all. don't fret if youre happy as is.

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Please do not presume to know what i have and havent seen....................

28. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Agree with HD there, I expect the only thing he hasn't seen is the 102" Samsung Hi-def plasma thats got a kettle on the side for making the tea in the ad breaks, lol

Keep up the good work HornyD we do enjoy the work and advice you offer to the forums, honest, (could have used the word "love" but thats a bit presumptious lol, also I aint that way inclined, lol)

Taz

29. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i didn't presume at all !

"probably" means just that, and i was asking not telling.

it was not an insult, sorry if you took it the wrong way

it just APPEARED as though swellmel thought you had good experience of this screen, whereas your comments suggest you have had none of use (referring to others experience not your own).

like i say, sorry. you and others have questioned whether ive seen what ive commented on (and i always have, whereas i know from other threads you havent always HD). i never took it personally, neither should you.

no hard feelings? remember: its just a telly! :smashin:

so, have you seen it or not? :D

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the 9946 37" yes, no offence taken....
    I did in a previou thread confuse it with the very similar ALIS panelled 37PF9975 but yes i have seen both......along with 42PF9946,42PF9986 (with faulty Ambilight which horribly flickered!!!!)