1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richer sounds comes good...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by happyhiker, Jan 17, 2005.

1. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well I've finally done it, After much reading of these forums I've bought a
    Panasonic TH42PW7B from Richer sounds, they price matched to £1299 dispite putting the price up at the weekend :mad: I took a copy of Feb's What HI-Fi with an advert in and they were more than happy to match it.

They even had a Scart Terminal Board in, which the guy let me have for £99 :) And knocked me some money of for the delivery charge :eek: Cos' it won't fit in my car.

So I've ordered a Tilting Mount and RGB>VGA converter from AV-Sales and I'm all set. (I hope)

Thanks to everyone that answered my Questions and reassured me.

Richer sounds take some perseverance with, they talked me out of the panasonic twice, and refused to price match the first time, but it all worked out in the end the RS Warranty is really good too.

The Missus really wanted silver(ie 42PW7B), but saving £300 has convinced her otherwise. :thumbsup:

2. hyena

hyena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a beginner and in the same boat as you. After years of watching the price fall I gave in to the richer sounds deal on the 37" version but now have the "how to connect " problem.

I didn't take a terminal board (may have been a big mistake)

Why did you go for the scart terminal board and not a component video?

Can you tell me which terminal board i would need for a VGA connection or do i use the PC connection point - as you can see I need help!

3. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    well I'm no expert but ...

I route everything through a Pioneer VSX-C502 with takes RGB scart and outputs RGB Scart. So I wanted the Scart terminal. If I'd had a component, I would have needed a RGB to Component converter as well.

Also I've read in this forum that the RGB>VGA adapter from JS Technology improves alot on the SCART signal, so I've ordered one of those. Now this takes the RGB Scart and turns it into a VGA signal, which is the only native signal on a PW6. I was in two minds about just getting this and saving some money on the SCART connector but I chickened out. I figure it will be really hard to get PW6 terminal boards soon, so I should have at least one standard connector. The VGA Signal feeds into the 15(?) Pin VGA Port already on the PW6. So in otherwords you don't need a termminal board for a VGA signal. HOwever you do need to take what ever signal you are feeding into the PW6 and convert it to VGA.

Basically you have two options.

1. Get a Terminal Board for the feed(s) you want to pump in. Note if you have a scart Sky Digital and a Component DVD thats two boards!

2. Get a <Something > to VGA Converter from AV-Sales or JS Technologies and convert your signals to VGA. If you have multiple feeds(which you probably do) you need to feed them in to a multimedia box, or a scart switcher or an A/V reciever so it outputs only one feed to the VGA converter.
    The pioneer VSX-C502 is great, its a surround sound and AV switcher, the VSX-C402 is cheaper and does the same thing(I didn't know about the 402 when I bought mine)

What are you trying to connect to your Plasma?

4. hyena

hyena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment will connect up sky plus and was going to get a denon sd500 but also given recommendation by Hornydragon to get piovcxs402 as you suggest.
    also have a gamecube playing son with his eyes on the plasma!

so...looks like a scart>vga from sky to plasma
    component video from dvd to plasma
    and....... what from sky to dvd(home cinema thingy) for sound from sky?

5. DIZZ

DIZZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a pwd6 with sky, dvd, x-box and surround sound amp.

DVD---component to plasma (picture)
    optical from dvd to amp (sound)

sky---rgb scart---JS Technologys box---vga lead into plasma (picture)
    phono leads from JS box to amp (sound)

x-box---scart into sky (video socket)

this gives me a great picture and 5.1 surround sound.

6. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RS is a good company. They have great prices and if you have the magazine they will HONOR it.

Koing

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RS are a bunch of monkeys who will try and fleece you for ££££ if you dont have the advert with super low price (advertising one price and having a higher one instore is pretty shocking and verges on illegal) they have no idea about the kit they sell ESPECIALLY PANASONIC plasmas and cannot support the sales with terminal boards advice or even basic acessories for a few £££ more you can deal with a proper dealer who knows what they are doiing and wont try and flog you crap you dont need or want!!!!!

(anyone offered the DAEWOO tuner box???) STAY AWAY

8. skinnes

skinnes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, Happyhiker

You nearly spoilt my Monday - I too took the plunge at my local RS at the weekend but you wrote that you got a TH42PW7 for £1299 while I only got a TH42PWD6 for that price! But then I saw your last comment about the colour and reckoned that you must have meant you got a PWD6 (or else you got an even bigger bargain!).

Anyway, I've got my PWD6. Now I need to find a second VGA or component terminal board for it. Apparently Panasonic's delivery ship had a fire so there's a shortage of all boards. But everyone says they'll be back soon enough and that all the "normal" the PW7 boards will continue to fit the PW6.

I'm looking to go the Freeview RGB scart - JS box - VGA input like you, but I don't know if I'd really notice the improvement over simple scart terminal board (and I'd have to buy one to find out!). I may ask that question specifically on the forum.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Skinnes try a search mate been discussed to death...........

10. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yeah sorry, I got a TH42PW6B for 1299 not a 7. :suicide:

11. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I don't find that RS are any worse than other AV/HiFi shops that I've tried locally. Obviously they will all try to sell you what they've got in stock - that's their job.
    The statment "advertising one price and having a higher one instore is pretty shocking and verges on illegal" is absolutely ridiculous.
    I really don't know why some people are so intent on rubbishing RS.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Maybe your local RS isnt that bad..... but mine is.. and perhaps your local shops are monkeys too.... but its my opinion and i am sticking to it (the reason people "rubbish" them is because generally they are, I have known RS staff who wont buy from RS..there are knowledgable dealers who know what they are doing and are competitive on price......
    6 top reasons why i dont like RS:
    1: Stock and supplies are poor very hit and miss, (yes they do state ring before you travel etc but still)
    2:They can't offer demo facilities or installation (in msot cases)
    3:They cant support what they sale as they dont stock half the stuff.....Panny input boards etc...........
    4:staff know/care little about what they are selling
    5:they are the biggest RIP OFF on certain bits (cables especially)
    6:they knowingly sell items at above the lowest advertised price

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646

I would not worry anyway, from the reports I am hearing the 7 series is more of a money saving move than a "my god we have such a jump in quality that we must release a new screen" type move.
    Speaking to re sellers, the picture is the same on the 7 series, you loose out on being able to input compoent on the VGA, and they cross there fingers when they go out in the hope that the power supply doesn't fail.

So the 6 series seems like the one to go for anyway if you can find one, and you did. :)

Having said all that, I still love the 5 series and the 4 series looks really nice too. I think that with most of these toys they drop in overall quality as they go through the generations.
    On a plasma if the glass is costing £4k on the first generation models then a £100 power supply seems about right, on a generation 7 when the same glass is cosing say £300 you are going to try and stick a £30 power supply in the unit.

Same with DVD players, the first generation players were built like tanks, compare a Pioneer 717 with the equivelent model today.

14. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So its your local richer sounds that are poor, not richer sounds in general...

some people are ******s, does this make ALL people ******s???

15. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    So, aside from the fact that,

> typically they do actually sell things at (often substantially) below typical/recommended/whatever you want to call it prices

> their extended warranties don't actually cost 50% of the cost of the goods

> they ADMIT to being small, busy, and having limited stock etc.....

they are pretty much the same as most other high st chains.

I know which, out of RS, Comet, and any part of DSG, I'd be most likely to get a coherent answer about "multi-region" from.

16. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Julian Richer has taken his eye off the ball slightly.

I have always recommended RS to friends but a friend was mis sold a LCD display(i won't bore you with details). he went back and demanded a refund and got it(city branch)

The staff are widely mis selling as I witnessed when I went in to buy a Panny Pw7. Maybe the ruse is to advertise a plasma at a cheap price and then persuade the buying public that spending a little extra will get you a better plasma.

And yes, I was given the hard sell onthe Daewoo!

I walked out with my cash and went elsewhere.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Doesnt make em any good tho does it......ADMITING you are crap does not make you any better just less deluded

18. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    well I think I got a good deal from RS and there were very polite and helpful.

However it is true that they don't stock what they advertise, and one of the staff admited they sold the PW6 at 1299 as a loss leader to get people in the shop. Its my opinion that they did everything they could to talk me out of a PW6 in favour of a more expensive screen and its only because of this forum that I stuck to my guns and got a PW6.

I think the warranty is excellent, and the aftercare(14 days to take back if you don't like it is great) Basically If you know what you want, and its in stock they are great. Their advice is better than Currys but you're probably better of doing your own research. Superfi were much worse on their advice.

Its probably simpler to just use a good internet seller, but I didn't want to spend 2k over the internet with someone I've never heard of. RS were the next best thing, and if it all goes wrong I've got someone I can go and moan at :rolleyes:

19. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The staff's technical knowhow cerainly isnt the best but is probably better then your average High Street outlet. Lets face it, if you go into any store without knowing what your looking for, most salesmen are going to see it as open season :)

Best bet is to do your research, decide what you want and if Richersounds have the best price and is in stock - buy it!.

I agree their policy of haveing a dearer shop price then on the web is a bit naff but at least you can walk into a store and get it at the web price. Try doing that with Curry's, Comets, Dixons, PC World..........

To sum up RS would'nt be my first call but wouldn't go out of my way to avoid either (unlike Curry's who make me :mad: ) .

20. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whoa...did you say 7-series??? and 42" inch

...and not the 6-series.. or a 37" inch 7-series...

If so...wow, what a deal...

By a far far way the best deal on that screen by miles!

21. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Correction....just read the rest of the thread and see you did get a 6-series
    and not a 7-series..

That'll teach me to skip thro without reading innit!!

22. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if you look as RS's website you'll notice all there best deals are "in store priority only".......can't buy them online...........................they get you in the door and tell you the bargain is out of stock or sold out...............then try and flog you something more expensive or poorer quality..............................stick with AV sales or another reputable internet seller.

23. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto.

ADMITTING that they have small stores does not make them *crap*. It makes them honest.

The RS I have been too have been very good.

WHAT do you expect going in to ANY electrical/AV, HI FI shop asking for advice? The guy is getting paid not much and he is doing a job to sell stuff.

When I go in to any store I am more clued up then any of the sales people. Why? I'm an electronics/ gadget guy and knows lots of info. I'm not going to let some guy try and sell me anything that I have not clued up on already. They can try but I'm not having ANY OF IT from ANYONE.

They don't have lots of stock and have lots of kit but that is why they have good prices. Less space to store it all.

If you go in to a big shop with lots of room etc do you really get 'good' prices? Probably not as it costs a fortune for rent, bills etc on that shop. This is where people like Av-Sales can get better prices.

Just go in and get a 6 Series Panny. Or just wait until they get them in. Get the other stufff same screen forelse. Where else can you get the same screen for £1300?! They offer a 14 day no problem exchange and the 2yr warrenty is ONLY 10% of what you paid for the screen BARGAIN imo. They do some great deals.

Koing