Richard's gaming/AV WAF friendly room :)

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally have mine pretty much finished, so here it is. Aim was to still have somewhere for all my gaming/AV junk, but to hide it to keep my wife happy/quiet, and to keep our kids' prying hands away from it (they're pretty good actually - I'm more concerned about their friends)

Still need to tidy up some telephone wires with some DLine trunking (did that this morning after the photos were taken) and have some pendant lights fitted over the dining table and get the projector power and HDMI cables hidden in the ceiling. Most of that is waiting for the Electrician to come - hopefully this week if he decides to ever call me back :/

Still, fairly pleased with things as they are now. I'll post a couple of new photos once the extra lighting is in and the projector is debagged. Wife comes back from visiting her parents on Friday, so hopefully she'll like it too :)

whole2.jpg

My new wall of units - gloss white and a stripe of red to go with the sofa. Door have magnetic push catches on them to keep the lines clean.
Lighting behind the TV, between the top of the units and the ceiling, and in the spaces either side of the TV (vase and PS3 section).

whole.jpg

similar picture but I've changed the vase. Wanted something to better match the PS3 (what a tart!)

ps3.jpg

closeup of the PS3. Shelf underneath for controller, remote, USB HDD

wii60.jpg

most doors are normal hinged ones, but the single doors are sliding. Here I've covered up the PS3 to reveal my 360/Wii. Also a shelf underneath for accessories. Not quite as pretty as the PS3, so usually the PS3 will be on display.

amp.jpg

Denon 2307 amp and Gefen HDMI switch. I have an IR repeater so I can use it with the doors closed (back is off for ventilation)

screen%20down.jpg

shows the electric screen dropped down. When I'm using it I move the L/R speakers further apart so the sound matches the screen.

sofa.jpg

My lovely new red leather sofa. Very comfy and having a corner unit makes it much easier to stretch out and go to sleep :)

pj.jpg

the rest of the room - dining table and piano. The projector is still bagged up from when I was making lots of dust. That HDMI cable dangling down will go inside the ceiling space soon

Since taking these photos I've had to remove the screen, so I have my fingers crossed that a replacement will turn up before the wife does

I really like this because it's different to most of the set ups on here that I've seen before. You have lovely kit. Do you not find it a hassle that you have to move your speakers every time you put the projector down? Is there not another place you could keep them permanently so that you dont have to move them every time?
Also, how annoying is it that you can see the PS3 cables coming out the back, because i wanted to stand mine up too but i ended up lying down because they were annoying me :p

Thanks, Scharf.

Agree with Scharf, there are a couple of things i would change personally but its easily the most original and cleanest looking setup i have ever seen. I almost did a little sex wee when i first saw it. :smashin:

I love it!!!!!!!

Your set-up is simple amazing. I love the whole unit, the couch, everything. :thumbsup:

Looks great, well done !!

Looks gorgeous - very fresh and classy (in spite of the XBox and Wii :devil: ). I love the way the components hide away. If your wife doesn't like it, then I'll marry ya - although my wife might object a little! :rotfl:

Big smiles,

Andy.

Do you not find it a hassle that you have to move your speakers every time you put the projector down?

Haven't lived with it for prolonged movie watching, but I don't think it'll be a big deal. Takes about 20 seconds for the screen to drop, and thats all it takes to move the speakers.

Is there not another place you could keep them permanently so that you dont have to move them every time?

I did try them in the location they are in for projector viewing, but then they were too far apart for TV viewing - sounds to the left were not anchored to the screen which detracted from the experience.

Also, how annoying is it that you can see the PS3 cables coming out the back, because i wanted to stand mine up too but i ended up lying down because they were annoying me :p

A tiny bit but not much. Way less annoying that how ugly the PS3 is lying down, whereas I think its stunning standing up. All IMO of course ;)

I have actually considered a curved piece of white plastic or similar to cover up the cables, which would fit to the rear of the PS3 in front of the mains/HDMI cable, and curve round to the back of the cupboard. Might have a play with that and see how it comes out

Great looking install Richard, nice to see something so different. :thumbsup:

very nice rich,

the red panels and sofa make it what it is imho

im thinking you have to somehow make the sliding doors motorised!

thought about panel speakers built into the bottom doors either side of tv? covered in white mesh of course!

The problem with the speakers is that you need to move them further apart for projector viewing, and closer together for TV.

But I had considered covering that bottom panel below the TV with white mesh, but that got abandoned when I realised they had to be moveable. And I quite like the look of them

Lovely setup and soom good ideas which I may well nick when I come to build my new AV/games room:)

Your set up has a very "clean" feel to it. Possibly a bit sterile for me, but very impressive to look at. I bet you get alot of people saying "wow" when they walk into there :smashin:

Your set up has a very "clean" feel to it. Possibly a bit sterile for me, but very impressive to look at. I bet you get alot of people saying "wow" when they walk into there :smashin:

nobody has walked in there yet. The wife comes back from the inlaws today... (where's a fingers crossed smiley when you need it )

You mean the wife hasn't seen it? Nice knowing you. Any chance of leaving me your Wii in your will? lol

Double post

Richard, I would have expected nothing short of genius from you - and I wasn't disappointed. I love the whole room. The sofa works very well with the look too. Well done bud.

I'm not sure I agree about the speakers. The importance is that there is about 20-30deg of off-set for the left and right speakers in comparison to the centre (which should be at 0deg to the sweetspot). Whether the picture is big or small I would personally always want the sound to image the same way. Personal taste of course, but for me I wouldn't want the sound to exagerrate the fact I have a small screen by moving the speakers inwards for TV use!! Could mean a lot less effort on your part anyway if you grilled the left and right doors and just left the speakers in there.

My 2c anyway - lovely clean look in that room (except when you bring the speakers out :devil: )

Holey moley!

I love the red 'go-faster' stripe effect of the unit. And as said before, that sofa is wonderful - Gimme...

I looked and looked, but could not spot the beer fridge though...

Top work fella!

:clap: :clap:
That looks fab. Do I spy a WLT58 or 47WLT66 ;)

Well spotted. 37wlt58. Thats the only downside - i don't think i'd get anything more than a 40" in that space. But them i have a projector for big screen stuff

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom