Richard Johnson

Discussion in 'Obituaries Forum' started by brian s, Jun 8, 2015.

1. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,750
    Actor Richard Johnson dies, aged 87 - BBC News

Actor Richard Johnson has died aged 87. He appeared in many films and TV productions but I remember him best for the original version of The Haunting. Surely the best horror film ever made.

RIP Richard

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,526
    First recollection of from memory of him for me was in the late 60s film Deadlier Than The Male as Hugh (Bulldog) Drummond and to a lot lesser extent the sequel Some Girls Do. But more so than Some Girls Do in
    Khartoum he played Col Stewart and is sent to run a blockade on a steamer, later on Gordon is given a box with the head of Stewart in it, the steamer had been captured.
    He had a speaking voice of gentry and a face to fit.

As to The Haunting Bri I would not say the best but definitely up there with the very best.

Elke Sommer Meets Bulldog Drummond

3. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,750
    I actually attempted to watch my blu-ray of The Haunting for the first time last week but I was too I'll to appreciate it and abandoned it quite early. There's an article about it in the latest issue of SFX including an interview with Richard Johnson. He was appearing in a stage version of The Devils every night and filming The Haunting during the day.

Bri

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,526
    Although in the BBC link it says Richard turned down the role of James Bond, other sources say he was under exclusive contract to MGM at that time, which seems to make more sense than the contradiction that he turned down the role of Bond yet goes on to play almost an other Bond like character in Deadlier Than The Male.

Actor Richard Johnson dies at aged 87

Off topic info, but Elke Sommer and Nigel Green stars of Deadlier Than The Male, also appeared 2 years later in an other Bond like film, in the 4th and last of the series of the Dean Martin/Matt Hell films The Wrecking Crew.