Richard Burns rally

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by SOUNDSTYLE, Aug 8, 2004.

1. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm thinking of getting this game on PS2. How good is it compared to Colin McRae 4?
    Thanks

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's on my 'possible' list and appears to be rather dependent on what sort of gamer you are. To be succinct, many players find the game far too difficult; but if that's your thing, I suppose it may well suit.

Being a 'bit' :laugh: of a petrolhead, with Grand Prix Legends being one of my favourite games (after six years, I think!), I'm hoping that Richard Burns Rally could be a worthy distraction. If you prefer something of a more arcade orientation, Burns Rally is probably one to stay away from (if comments are to be believed).

I haven't tried it yet, by the way - so I can only convey the on-line consensus. Oh, and I suspect a steering wheel is a must for this game.

Er, did that help at all...? :rotfl:

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    There was a review of it on that GamerTv programme thats on Bravo(not GamePad), they said it was 'realistic to the point that its not fun anymore' so take from that what you will.

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    It took me about 2 hours play to get the feel for it - the rally school section of the game is really helpful.

Once you figure out how to drive it (bascially, go a crap load slower than you think you should), it's absolutely ace. It truely is the GPL of rallying and I strongly recommend it, if you've got the patience.

It's completely different from Colin McRae Rally - you have to concentrate really hard and focus entirely on the driving and pace-notes. You need to be cautious, especially when you can't see what coming - the pace notes help, but if the co-driver says "flat left" and you're approaching a blind crest and can't see the turn, back off.

You have to really work to curb your enthusiasm and speed. At first, you'll crash on every corner. After a bit of that you'll find yourself tip-toeing through the stages really slowly. Then it gets seriously fun as you get a little more confidence.

I honestly think it's the best rally game ever, as long as you've got the time and patience to learn to drive it. Once you're in the groove, it's soooo satisfying to left-foot-brake and flick the car through the fast turns. The first time I nailed a Scandinavian Flick I nearly wet myself with excitment :)

I'm playing the XBox version using the standard controller and it's fine. It's bit hairy in the fast sections as it's never going to be as accurate as a wheel, but it's quite possible to be fast and consistent with the controller. I expect the same is true for the PS2 verision, but left-foot-braking would be a little harder cos it doesn't have analog triggers.

And the replays look bloody real. The way the car moves and reacts to the road is just astonishing, especially when you're driving well.

5. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for that Mr Belowski. I think I will get it and give it a go.
    Colin Mcrae 5 comes out next month :)

6. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Cool :)

Just remember to give it a good chance. It feels plain impossible at first, but take it easy and make a point of watching the replays. The replays helped convince me that the physics model was up to stratch - initially it felt a little floaty, but watching the way the car moves on the replays made me keep trying despite the initial frustration. You'll soon get lost in it. I certainly did :)

Oh, and remember to use the road camber. Cut the inside of the turns to hook the inside 2 wheels in the small ditches just off the road surface, which will help pull the car round the turns and makes it easier to get round. Oh, and the default tarmac setup is a bit pants. It might be worth googling for some of the discussions that have gone on about it. Apparently the differential settings are wrong. So stick to gravel at first till you get a feel for the car.

Blimey, it must be the GPL of rallying - hooking the inside wheels in the ditch to help turning, and talk of incorrect tarmac diff settings. And that's just scratching the surface.... Intimidating stuff, but well worth the time and effort :)