RIA - Macro shots

sapa

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first real attempt at macro photography, though I've had the lens a while i haven't properly got it out with the tripod and played around until now. I would like some honest critique of these pics.
I would especially like to know how it's best to go about lighting the subjects with just household lights or the on-camera light or 480EXII.

Another thing I really want to try next is the photos of water dropping into a bowl. It's not exactly an original idea I know! Anyway I just want to try it for experimental fun. Any idea of how you go about getting these shots other than using a fast shutter speed?

BTW, for next time, how do you make the photos clickable onto flickr?

4285287488_bba55ee1b5.jpg

Raspberry

4285287496_5d2155e478.jpg

Pea

4285287500_35d5953fb8.jpg

4285287512_26e3825095.jpg

Donut

Hi sapa

I'm not an expert so I can't comment on technicalities. So instead I'll tell you that my favourite of the set is the third image (dolls face). I think the angle and crop works really well.

Cheers
Moosh

Hi sapa

I'm not an expert so I can't comment on technicalities. So instead I'll tell you that my favourite of the set is the third image (dolls face). I think the angle and crop works really well.

Cheers
Moosh

+1

...though the doughnut is cool too.

Jim

Thanks, I agree with that one being my favourite too. As for the advice, maybe I should post a topic in the main photo forum asking for tips.

Certainly won't do any harm :thumbsup: - although I'm sure some of our Macro guys will be along soon to help out here as well.

Jim

Here is a thread I did a while back on water drop shots.

Click on any of the pics and look at the exif for settings. Best with off camera flash remotely triggered, camera with macro lens and on a tripod. I just used a clear bowl, some coloured plastic placed behind and dripped into the bowl from the tap. Before you start place a grain of rice or similar where the drop is hitting to get an idea of focus.

Thats very basic but should give you an idea to help get you started.

I attempted water droplets today. Found it very difficult to get anything even halfway decent. This was the best of the lot. Getting the lighting right was a pain, I couldn't really get the ripples crisp at all.

Which is the best crop?

4287437247_d5e9dff9ed.jpg

4287447481_1f7823f347.jpg

"Good Question!" :rotfl:

Jim

hmmm, you can't decide either then?

No - there's aspects of both that I like - I like the "Landscape" crop on the first for the spatial composition it gives and I like the "Portrait" crop for the extra reflection detail it encompases.

...."So" - any chance of a Landscape Crop that shows the reflected droplet too ?

Jim

Hi sapa, :hiya:
... I would especially like to know how it's best to go about lighting the subjects with just household lights or the on-camera light or 480EXII...
It might be worth looking at the Macro Viewers Group on Flickr, particularly Lord V's posts. He has quite a few tutorials in this group and others where he shows the setups he uses and includes quite a bit about the use of flash/diffusers etc.

On camera flash extender and diffuser.

Here's another topic in a different Group that also contains a lot of useful information.

Hope that helps.

Paul :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom