RGBW LED Strip lights & Wifi controllers...

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by oldguy, Nov 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've been looking into putting RGBW strip lights in my kitchen and probably elsewhere at some point in the house.
    I think I understand some of the logic but here goes....

So I'll have 4 receivers, and PSU's for 4 different zones as follows with an app to control the receivers (I can't run wires between the 4 zones I want to light, though each zone has 240v socket)

Zone 1 : RGBW 12v strip 60 LEDS/m @ 14.4w/m x 1.4m = 20w (so minimum 24w 12v PSU?)
    Zone 2 : As above x 1.9m = 27w (so minimum 33w 12v PSU?)
    Zone 3 : As above x 5m = 72w (so minimum 86w 12v PSU?)
    Zone 4 : As above x 1.8m = 26w (so minimum 31w 12v PSU?)

What I don't get is the wifi receiver specs.....I've looked at a few and its the Amps requirements that confuse me, some are 4 channel x 5a, and some 4 channel x 4 amp, but how do I work out what I need to supply the strip as above?
    The 'channel' refers to the RGBW?

If someone could reply with how I calculate the current draw on each strip, and also how I spec the current for the PSU's, I'd really appreciate it....

The controller/receivers I'm looking at are :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Controller-Function-Android-Smartphones/dp/B01J5A5YYM

thanks

2. i2EHN

i2EHN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I personally used a online company called: Visual Chillout and bought several strips and custom requirements over the last few years.

http://visualchillout.co.uk

They are very knowledgable and reasonable priced and supply quality strips.

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    We generally only use 24v now as more reliable

Can spec a system up for you if you like

4. theoldbill

theoldbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Another vote for visualchillout.

I have placed several orders from Chris and received good quality products rather than cheap EBay nonsense.

He was always happy to offer in depth advice on here when people asked questions.

5. i2EHN

i2EHN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    2nd that !
    Chris was great and provided 3 x custom strips and power supplies.

Been using Visual Chillout for the last few years and would recommended them 100% [emoji1360]

Image1478873783.598857.jpg

IMG_3130.JPG

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Took it upon myself to recommend what we would use in this situation

1 x RGBW remote
    1 x WiFi gateway
    4 x RGBW Wireless controller
    3 x LED drivers 36W/24V for zones 1/2/4 (not on our webshop but £15.60+VAT)
    1 x LED driver 100W/24V for zone 3 (not on our webshop but £29+VAT)
    2 x RGBW LED strip

Our RGBW wireless controller is 5A x 4 Channels and can operate from 12 to 36 Volts DC input.
    5A is the maximum capacity per channel and if used with 12V strips will mean that each channel (R/G/B/W) can handle maximum of 5A x 12Volts (60 Watt of load per channel).
    If this controller will be used to driver 12 Volts strips, then 240 Watt will be the maximum power handling for all 4 channels.

If the strip is 24Volts, then 5 x 24= 120Watt (per channel) or 120W x 4 CH= 480Watt
    if this controller will be used to driver 24 Volts strips, then 480 Watt will be the maximum power handling for all 4 channels.

RGBW strips specification (14.4W/m) is for the total power consumption (all 4 channels, R/G/B/W powered on) and the average consumption per colour is about 1/4 of the total (3.6W per meter).
    As an example the maximum run of 24 Volts LED strip that this controller can handle will be 480W / 14.4W = About 33 meters of RGBW strip.
    Note that the controller will be overheated if will operate at the maximum capacity and is suggested to avoid operating on its limits!
    I would suggest 10 to 15m of 14.4W/m strip per controller, maximum of 25m with good ventilation.