1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGBHV vs YUV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Eto, May 18, 2003.

1. Eto

Eto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to understand the picture quality between RGBHV and YUV. Most sources of information refer to YUV as being "the best" but that is compared to S-Video most of the time.

The reason is that I'm considering upgrading my Sony DVD Player (DVP-S7700) with the Cinematrix PSM-1 board to allow a 768p RGBHV output from the player to my Panasonic TH-42PHW5 (1024x768) plasma.

Pros/cons/suggestions welcomed.

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    RGB and YUV are very similar, in fact you can convert between each using an arithmetic equations. The problem is then the implementation of each. In practice, you'll find that YUV is just every so slightly softer - only just. But some screens will deal with the signals slightly differently, you might find on some screens it's YUV that gives the sharper picture.

With the Panasonic, the RGBHV input will give you an excellent picture. It's what my RGB to Plasma VGA unit was designed to take advantage of.

I've got to add, even though you can convert arithmetically between RGB and YUV and back again, that really understates the process required. Essentially, you've got to ensure that you keep as much of the information (and therefore detail) present when doing the conversion. Treat all signals with care.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.