1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB2VGA convertor question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by snakeeater, May 15, 2004.

1. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay Im getting my panny in thre next few days from AV Sales. it comes with a scart switcher and Im going to go with this for the time being and then maybe shell out on some boards in the future.

Okay so everything is going into the scart switcher (quintro) and then the quintro into the panny via the scart board. Would I benefit from sticking an rgb2vga convertor on the end and go in via the vga port?

If this is better how does this manage to do a better job than just the standard scart?

Also if its worth getting the convertor whats the general cost of these?

Sorry for my ignorance but Im still new to all this :oops:

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the js rgbtovga will only take a rgb signal so no video/composite, no loss there then :laugh: :laugh:

but i can vouch for the quality of picture :smashin: :smashin:

havent seen the scart board in action but what ive read its not as good as the rgb to vga.

3. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if all my devices use scart connections you'd say it was worth the purchase then?

Oh do you have a link for the one you bought by any chance?

Cheers :smashin:

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as long as its rgb scart not composite.

www.rgbtosvideo.com

there are other makes but this seems to be rated as the best

5. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the quintro cause any loss of quality using the RGB2VGA convertor?

6. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a quintro and have it connect to a pwd6 with a QED q-sync (similar to the other device mentioned but includes high quality leads). I also have a scart lead from the quintro to a scart socket on the plasma for when I use a VCR. I can easily flick between the PC input and the scart and there's quite a noticeable difference in picture sharpness. I found I had to adjust values in the advanced menus because the colours were far too strong for my liking and you lose the colour control with PC input but the rgb converters are well worth investing in.

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, the RGB to Plasma VGA unit will give you better picture quality. As one customer put it, "it was like removing a fuzzy filiter!". Using the Plasma VGA unit also allows you to choose which high quality cable to use with it - more flexibility to your system requirements.

I've not seen the Quinto in action, so can't say personally. I have heard of several people using this combination and they seem happy with the results.

Jmack -
    please note out new web address at www.js-technology.com

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll end up getting one of these at some point when funds allow. Over a hundered quid for a covertor seems quite pricey though, however if you want to send me a free one to try with the quintro purely for research purposes, then please dont hesitate :smashin:

9. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other thing, will using this convertor have any bearing on any potential lip synch issues??

The reason I say 'potential' is because I wont have my Panny till next week.

10. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Keep in mind that there's quite a bit of technology in the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, many of it very unique which allows it to do the right job. It's got an on-board computer and ensure that certain bogus information isn't passed through either.

Unlike £100 cables, the RGB to Plasma VGA unit actually does something!

As for lip-sync, the converter won't add to any issue present.

All the best,

John.

11. macdaddy

macdaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have to say the RGB-VGA converter has been a revelation, compared to Scart the PQ is phenominal.

The lip-synch issue however is (for me) a major problem, so much so that I've just bought a new amp, Yamaha RX-V650 which has solved the problem.

I don't think the converter made the problem any worse and it's well worth the money.

12. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it could/would not affect the lip sync issue, but any decent AV amp can control multichannel delay easily.

Just got a JS RGB-YUV for the Sky+ for our PWD6 today :eek: :clap: :clap:

I had foolishly imagined I could hook it up and hide it away and thus make it be an invisible upgrade and not get spanked for the additional spend ;)

Her indoors had not been on the settee for more than 2-3 seconds before asking "what did you do to the plasma screen to make it so much better" ?

13. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice guys. Im really hoping the lip synch wont be an issue but we shall find out in the next day or so as my Panny was ordered this morning :clap:

My amp is pretty entry level so I may have to look for something better in the near future. Im not sure if my current one has multichannel delay, its a Sony STR-DE475 . Do any of you know if this has it or if it will do the job well enough?

If I need to get a better amp in the future, what kind of price range would I be looking at (in general)?

Thanks again for all your advice so far :)

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I really like to hear how the converters make such an improvement to systems! :smashin:

Thanks Cahchi.

Snakeeater:
    Try not to concentrate on lip-sync. Yes, if you can later certainly get an amplifier with a delay built in. Don't let it spoil your enjoyment of an excellent plasma screen.

All the best,

John.

15. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I have to say I hooked up my Panny with the VGA converter to start with. The picture is excellent, so I never got a chance to see how bad it is.

It seems worth the money if it provides a niose free image. I noticed some lip synching problems a few days ago and have not had the Plasma on since. Hope it never becomes too bad.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    any lip sink will NOT be from this converter box but from the deinterlacing that is happening in the plasma..... Dr S boxes will NOT be the guilty party here :)

17. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I already spoke with John on this and he confirmed this to be the case, not the converter.

18. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what causes lip sync and what are the known methods of correcting it?

(sorry, off topic I know)

19. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The need for excessive processing of the signal by the screen itself ... having said that I have not noticed it on my PWD6 yet

20. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And is the multichannel delay on the amp the only way to combat it?

21. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes ... you are effectively putting a 'global' audio delay in to hold the audio back to resync to the lagged display.

As I understand it, if one feeds a component signal to the PWD6 (either via 15pin or an input board) all the screen needs to do is rescale the image and display it -- if one feeds Svideo or scart to the screen the screen must first decompose the picture into red/green/blue and then pass it to the descaler, and the delay/lag/etc is caused by the decomposition.

The missus did notice/complain a bit the first week (with dodgy lower-bitrate channels on older shows) when we were still using SVideo for the signal path, but since changing things around completely (now am hooked up as Sky+ via the JS YUV box into component inputs and the DVD recorder/iScan into the VGA port) she has not said a word about any audio sync problems since

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Basically modion adaptive de interlacing (to make progressive scan signals that plasmas display) means they need to look at several frames of the image over a short period of time to work out what is moving etc and they then 'compensate' for the moving part to make nice and smooth pictures. This all takes time and with the really high end stuff, loads of time (up to 280ms? for Terranez?). However the solutions in PS DVD players and the panny plasma are much faster. To match the piccy with the sound we just need to delay the sound by a little 9depends on the chip set) but this is generally a fixed amount. You therefore just dial in a delay of say 50ms and everything all sinks up again. Most modern recivers do this but some old kit does not.