Rgb?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by postal_dude, Nov 4, 2005.

1. postal_dude

postal_dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all

just woundering if RGB is the same as component connectors? i know the cables needed for component are red green and blue, so does this mean that RGB is a abbreviation of component?

how do i find out if my tv is component compatible through a scart lead?

thanx in advance

postal_dude

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    No.
    Although RGB is technically a form of component video, "component" inputs on a TV (or outputs on a DVD player) are normally YPrPb , a standard that originally emanated from the USA.
    From my video glossary :
    "YPbPr = YCrCb in analogue form or component analog video.
    Pb and Pr are scaled from (B'–Y') and (R'–Y') are low pass filtered to about half the bandwidth of luma."
    So it's a luminance signal plus 2 colour difference ones.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. postal_dude

postal_dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm... thanx alot for your post!
    but i'm a complete newbie! will it work if i get component cables into a rgb tv?

also on a different note if i connect a console to a dvd recorder via s-video... but the dvd player is connected to the via via av will the quality of the console be any better that if i was plugged directly in the av socket?

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    No it won't work.
    SCART does not have any provision for YPrPb component video.
    The 2 standards or methods are incompatible.

Chris Muriel, manchester

5. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll probably get some degradation from hooking your console up to the TV via the DVD player, even if the DVD is using an RGB connection. If your TV is just a standard definition one, which it probably will be seeing that it doesn't have component, your best bet is to get a fully RGB wired scart cable for your console.
    Go for cables made by the company who makes your console - they may be expensive, but they're fully RGB wired, unlike most third party ones which tend to be just composite video.

Order of quality from worst to best is like this:

RF/aerial , composite, s-video, Scart RGB. then component.

Component and RGB quality difference isn't all that great really (at least when comparing with smaller screens) - it's only when you get a HDTV that you'll see a difference, especially if it's a progressive type screen instead of the normal interlaced type.