1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rgb>yuv>s-vid>composite

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mouth on Legs, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Facts dictate that RGB is better than YUV is better that S-video is better than composite video.

A lot of DVD/digibox’s etc. can output RGB but not YUV

Why isn’t there a RGB terminal board for the panny 5?

2. mambasna

mambasna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes there is, its the terminal board model TY-42TM4ZB, it has phono inputs that are used as either component or RGB, the selection is made in the plasma setup.

Hope this helps

3. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I am confused again. Is it correct that RGB is better than YUV, if so why do so many people seem buy the RS box to convert RGB to YUV if the terminal board can be switched to RGB.

is the 37" board switchable? (panny on order but not with me yet so I can't read the instructions)

are the 5 series boards switchable?

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The panny board is RGB or component. But it doesn't [thank the heavens] use SCART it uses RCA connectors.

To use RGB with the panny and say a SKY box or DVD player you need a cable like this:

http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av19.html

Note though, because you need a composite sync you lose the composite [and therefore the svideo] ports, and also note that not every device likes this type of setup. Works with Sky, NTL boxes and my Sony DVP-NS700 DVD player.

Regards,
    Neil.

5. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Which is why you need to move the RGB to the VGA input using the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. It allows you greater flexibility and use of your screen's inputs.

Some DVD players are now able to output component, especially the ones that also support progressive scanning. Hence, you need your component inputs, and if you wish to have an RGB input too, you need to move this to the VGA input (see above).

Yes, RGB is *slightly* better than component, but only just. Next in line is S-Video, and then much further down the food chain, composite. Finally, RF - what comes down your aerial.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

7. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just supposing I was planning to buy a plasma like the Panasonic TH42PW5B (must resist...). What would be the best option for connecting up a DVD player with component out/progressive scan and a cable digibox with RGB out?

At the moment, the digibox goes to the DVD player via RGB scart, which then goes to the TV via RGB scart (there's actually a TiVo in the loop too but that doesn't affect anything). If I connect the DVD player to the plasma via component leads, is an RGB-to-VGA converter my best option for the digibox and if so, is there a downside to this (I seem to recall some issues with aspect ratio switching with the VGA input on the Panasonic)?

8. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to use the JS RGB -> VGA unit and use the component input for my DVD (on the 37" Panny) but the problem how I connect my PC to the plamsa? Is there a solution for this?

9. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I convert the RGB signal to yuv does that allow me to use the s-video and composite video on the rca board then

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Unfortunately you can't use both composite and s-vid at the same time, that's why synch on composite prevents s-video. Some people have successfully used a cheap dongle from Maplins to convert VCR composite to low grade s-video, enabling source switching at the amplifier. Then you have contol and everything connected. Well, maybe!

11. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purely out of interest. What's the technical evidence supporting this? When you read about how composite and s-video work you can see quite clearly why one is better than the other, the same can be said when comparing the workings of component (RGB or Video) over s-video. However, I find it difficult to see how RGB is better than Component-Video, or vice-versa. In particular I think it is generally accepted that the human eye distinguishes differences in luminance more than it does colour. This would kind of support the YUV over RGB argument.

Comments most welcome.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think, particularly in the case of plasma, it would be very hard to tell the difference, and in the near future, plan to have a 'blind tasting' event to show this. I am about to become involved in the AV market. Between component, vga and rgb it's probably best to pick the most convenient for your setup. 'normal' eyesight is unlikely to see any difference as the plasma image is just not sharp enough to show it. That is assuming no motion artefacts caused by bad processing at some point inside the plasma.

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    RGB has three full scale full frequency signals, but component only the Y (brightness) is. You're right that the human eye is more sensitive to luminance than colour and this is why YUV is still a high quality format. The difference in picture quality is very very slight.

Performance still depends on the display device's ability to handle each of these inputs, on some screens you may find that one is signifcantly better than the other.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

14. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the differnce between RGB and YUV can be described as very very slight how would you describe the difference between them and s-video

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In my experience very much more noticeable, but maybe because the S-Video signal is more prone to degradation but maybe not dammnationand death, that's composite! But seriously, long runs of s-video are not so good, especially if they're in the same conduit as mains, as often happens. YUV is better for long runs, and RGB of both the scart and VGA types seems good for this, my own RGB cable is 7.5m. However, again you have to remember that the picture with the cleanest s-video signal can only be as good as the signal processing and scaling inside the display, and maybe this is one of the things you pay for by buying a Panasonic rather than a cheaper Malaysian screen? If that theory is correct, then they ought to perform similarly when fed a progressive component source. Or maybe there's still a difference anyway.